Merry Christmas 2020! Are you doing anything special for the holiday?

Real Music

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 10:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I was able to watch CHRISTIAN TV last year. I couldn't do that this year. Only Christian programming I can watch now at the moment is whatever's online.

Why couldn't you watch Christian TV this year?
Real Music

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 11:13 pm
@Rebelofnj,
1. Although Die Hard was technically filmed during Christmas, I personally wouldn't call that a Christmas movie. On the other hand, Die Hard is great action adventure movie. Die Hard is definitely one my favorite action movie.

2. I did see Home Alone many years ago. I never saw Home Alone-2

3. I enjoyed the movie Elf.

4. I can never get enough of the many versions of A Christmas Carol. It seems like someone is always making their own version of A Christmas Carol. I've seen probably over a dozen different versions of A Christmas Carol over the years. I love every version I've seen over the years. The basic story always remain the same. The ghost of Christmas past, Christmas present, and Christmas future visits Scrooge or similar characters to Scrooge.

5. I love Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, Rudolph's Shiny New Year, and many of the oldie but goodies classics.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2020 12:18 am
@Real Music,
Because I don't have Spectrum TV service or landline phone service reinstated that's why. I only have Spectrum internet service reinstated. I'm paying about $15/month for internet service. I thought the TV and landline phone service were going to be included in the package I have but adding these other services are going to cost about $100 more. I am already paying $80/month for my mobile phone service.

I was waiting to get my internet service reinstated on my laptop at least until I was sure I could afford it. A Spectrum service rep came over to my house unannounced and offered to get my internet service reinstated for me back in November.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2020 06:04 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I am already paying $80/month for my mobile phone service.

Dude! Cancel that phone! (Unless you are a phone-o-holic). Buy a Tracfone . Personally, I’m phonophobic so it works for me. ~$10 mo.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in TracFone Corp.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2020 06:34 am
@Real Music,
I wouldn't call Die Hard a Christmas movie either, but people online like to joke that it is, so I included it for a laugh.

I did see the Scrooge McDuck version of A Christmas Carol with my nephews; they enjoyed it.

I also read a graphic novel adaptation of the story called Marley's Ghost by Harvey Kurtzman. He worked on the graphic novel back in the 1950s but no one wanted to publish it. Comixology recently published it, with new artists and writers finishing the project using Kurtzman's original layouts and script.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-an-artist-brought-harvey-kurtzmans-unfinished-chris-1820228434
izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2020 07:05 am
@Rebelofnj,
I didn’t think Goofy was a good choice as Marley’s ghost.

Goofy isn’t mean.

I’m a bit of an old fart re Christmas Carol, Albert Finney will always be Scrooge for me.

I’m looking forward to Doctor Who tomorrow. I’ve been watching the animated remakes of the lost Patrick Troughton episodes, just seen The Faceless Ones and Fury from the Deep. Rumour has it the next one will be Evil of the Daleks, probably the most lamented lost episode.

It’s the one I’m most looking forward to. It was repeated once during the following Summer and I still remember bits of it but no appreciation of the complete narrative.
Real Music

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2020 10:50 pm
@izzythepush,
1. I am definitely looking forward to seeing the new episode of Doctor Who on New Years day.

2. The season finale from the previous season will be played just before the airing of the new episode.

3. I will watch the season finale of the previous season to refresh my memory of everything leading up to the new episode.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2021 02:57 am
@Real Music,
It’s good you’re getting it the same time and not a day later as is so often the way.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2021 05:35 am
@izzythepush,
For me it will always be George C Scott as Scrooge. That role always needed overacting and a grinding wheel voice.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2021 05:16 pm
@Leadfoot,
I'm using a smartphone and I am on a family plan. Why should I cancel that? Does Tracfone make smartphones?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2021 05:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Do you know there are two Looney Tunes versions of A Christmas Carol?
One is a short cartoon, the other is a feature-length animated film.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2021 04:10 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I'm using a smartphone and I am on a family plan. Why should I cancel that? Does Tracfone make smartphones?

It sounded like you wanted to cut costs. If you don’t use your phone much, a TrackFone is the lowest cost way to go. I use an Android smart phone from them. The last time I used it was last October to call 911 when I crashed my ATV in the desert. Google Maps gave me the lat/long for where to find me. Once in a great while it rings but it's usually a robo-call trying to sell something. I hate it most of the time. It costs me about $10/mo.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2021 04:39 am
@JGoldman10,
It rings a bell I’ve just seen the most recent one, and I can’t be certain about the short.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 12:41 am
@izzythepush,
WB produced Bah, Humduck! A Looney Tunes Christmas, a feature-length animated movie which is a Looney Tunes version of A Christmas Carol. It's a family film. Daffy Duck was in the Scrooge role. The movie came out two decades ago. Rebel's nephews would probably like it.

The short I was referring to is "Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol" with Yosemite Sam playing the part of Scrooge.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 12:43 am
@Leadfoot,
I'm on a family plan because my mother and mother's friend use the same service as me. My mother's friend set me up with the family plan.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 02:07 am
@JGoldman10,
I saw the Daffy one just before Christmas.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 03:40 am
@JGoldman10,
Consider the possibility that she is no friend and you are paying for all three of you.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 03:57 am
@Leadfoot,
Or is 'friend' a 'he'?
Lady Lingiton

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 05:42 am
@Leadfoot,
Five will get you six it's avuncular.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 06:22 am
@Lady Lingiton,
Possible, and sad.