Is Yoga Easier For Women Than Men?

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 03:21 pm
I took yoga up a couple of years ago. And I used to attend a class once per week. We had a really good instructor who pushed us quite hard.
I am a man, and I noticed in the class that the women just seemed much more flexible. At first I put it down to being a novice. But as the weeks rolled by it seemed the men in the class were really struggling with flexibility.
Since covid came I continued practising yoga from home. And even now I feel like I am nowhere near as flexible as the women in that class.

Are women better at yoga? Are they able to twist and contort better than men?

It seems so to me.

Sturgis

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2020 12:20 pm
@dingo-20,
Flexibility is attainable and achieved at different levels without regard to gender. Breathe in the air and comfort of your surroundings. Take another deep breath.

Stop looking at others and comparing where you are in relationship to their progress. Find your weaker areas, focus there, with reliance and relief, both from your strengths and knowing that your best is your best. Yoga is internal as well as external. Examine your internal being.

Realize, other people might see you as more fiercely flexy than they.
dingo-20

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 07:43 am
@Sturgis,
Thanks Sturgis.
How do I examine my internal being?
Sturgis

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 08:20 am
@dingo-20,
Start with simple meditation.

There are many forms of meditation. Sitting calmly, eyes closed listening to the sounds surrounding you. Walking along a beach or river or lake and feeling the energy I the air. Wandering in a forest with the creatures of the woods talk and breathe, as you imagine what they may feel and ate saying. Doing a relaxing activity...washing some dishes in warm running water or just massaging a piece of cloth in the warm running water. Relaxing on a hillside or in a pool while floating on your back... many forms of meditation.

Find your personal meditative style and space. Slowly you will get to truly and more fully know yourself. It is an ongoing process and investigation. One that never ends, as our being evolves always.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 08:51 am
@dingo-20,
Scientifically speaking, women are more flexible (in general) then men. There are biological differences in the skeletal system between men and women. There is research on this topic.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20885189/

That doesn't mean that you won't improve your flexibility with practice. But, if you are comparing yourself to women in the class... you are at a disadvantage.

I never think of yoga as a competitive sport.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 11:36 am
https://64.media.tumblr.com/f4a26f8fcd9524584a0f38cc68ec0e67/tumblr_pk5e5crSwd1s8su8go1_1280.jpg
0 Replies

neater49

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 01:05 pm
@dingo-20,
Yes, women are naturally more flexible.

But that's not to suggest men aren't or can't be physically flexible. With anything, it takes time and practice.

It took 9 months of Yoga practice to achieve the splits and that's just on one side of my body, since range of motion differs between the sides of the body.
0 Replies