0

Speed of light is not constant.

Fruityloop

0  
Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 01:13 am
@maxdancona,
1. The speed at which light travels in a vacuum is a constant (relative to all observers).

Nope.
If I have a train that has boxcars that are 1 mile in length and it always passes me at 60 mph then it will always take 1 minute for a boxcar to pass me.

Likewise, the eclipses from Algol are equally spaced apart from each other because the eclipses are occurring at regular intervals which means that the distance between the eclipses is always the same just like the boxcars on a train all being the same length. So if the light transmitting the eclipses is always passing the earth at the same speed then it will always be the same amount of time between the eclipses. That isn't what happens though. Instead, the period of time between eclipses varies from a high of 2.8675875347 days to a low of 2.8670608912 - a difference of 0.0005265741 days or 45.5019984 seconds (i.e. +/-22.7509992 seconds). This means that the light is passing the earth more slowly and more quickly and isn't always at speed c relative to all observers.

A second grader could probably grasp this so why can't you?

1  
Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 09:33 am
@Fruityloop,
What you are claiming is that light is like a boxcar.

Before we see how ridiculous this is... please tell me, what determines the speed of the boxcar? Is it equal to the speed of the star that emitted it? Or the speed of the star plus some constant?

I think your claim is that the speed of a "boxcar" from algol will be different than a "boxcar" from betelguese. Right?

In science, a hypothesis has to work for every conceivable experiment. I am not sure yet if the math you are proposing actually works for the one circumstance for which you rigged it. You have yet to show me your math with actual numbers (which are posted in the article).

But once you have done that, all I have to do is present any experimental results that don't work with your hypothesis... and a scientist must drop your hypothesis as disproven.

That is how science works.

1  
Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2021 10:13 am
@Fruityloop,
Fruityloop wrote:

Because I am not a second grader. Maybe you would have better luck explaining your ideas to 7 year olds.

One of the themes of anti-science is the idea that education hurts your ability to understand, and that people without an education know more than those who are educated. It is a very democratic idea in its way.