March 19, 2003, Late Afternoon, EST (Poetry)

Diane

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 01:38 pm
I received permission to post this poem here by a former abuzzer named Fatima. She would appreciate comments.

Red Top
Hot Sun
Black shorts
Squinting eyes
Untamed long hair
Big Kodak Smile
Overfed white
arms and legs
Draped and wrapped
Around the white railing
Amongst tropical Bloomings

18? 19? 20?

Trimphant holiday

Why Not.

FAST FORWARD
To the East
5? 6? 8? hours
Ahead

Another place,
HOT
not tropical
SANDY, but dry

KHACHI and KHACHI and KHACHI
darker than
the other khachi

18? 19? 20?

For them -
almost tommorrow
almost midnight
Muscled arms and legs
Positions taken
A myriad of looks
on their young facades...........

TWO HOURS: Happy Hour!
TWO HOURS: his DEADline
TWO HOURS: Line 'em up
In both places
OH! GOD!
wHY? oh WHY? OH why?

WHY NOT?

NOT!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,209 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 01:50 pm
i can only lower my head, and close my eyes.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:11 am
Diane, I had to read this poem several times to get the gist of Fatima's theme. I like it because it is esoteric and apparently concerned with an American soldier. I'll hang out a while to watch other comments, but I would love to hear someone explicate it.
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:26 am
Dyslexia: why?
Hello,

Since I am the culprit of these words...
May I ask you, Why is that your reaction?

Fatima10

(The poster of these words will back me up, that, I am, indeed, guilty of these words)
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:36 am
Yes!
Letty,
Indeed it was not meant to tell all.
What does it make *one* think.

It is not about a particular soldier, though.

Poetry, like all forms of art, has a true and particular meaning to the person that is absorbing it, I believe. Not what the person who *made* it, meant.

Once an artist, a writer, a performer is completed the act of creating, I believe it is no longer theirs. It is not! theirs to define.

It is for the viewer, the reader, to search their experiences, their innermost selves, the hidden self, to define the meaning of what that one person has just seen, heard, read or viewed.

Perhaps a mirror to oneself? Or an outside view of the universe that surrounds us...or could be....

fatima10
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:12 am
fatima, I absolutely agree that once a poet has written thoughts, they become the thoughts of the reader. As for my interpretation of your words, I see a young man or woman born in America, the land of milk and honey, whose destiny awaits them in some desert far from home.
Perhaps my venture into mind of your thoughts are colored by the war in Iraq. Whatever, my dear, the poem is thought provoking and that is exactly what a poem should do.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 10:39 am
P.S. Welcome to A2K, fatima. Laughing
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:55 pm
Fatime thank you for such vivid words heart wrenching and loving at the same time.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:41 pm
Well. my friend, it is good to see you at last. Welcome to a2k!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:58 pm
I keep seeing this date, March 19, 2003, pop up, and I've just gotta tell ya what I did on March 19. I was in London, and I visited the British Museum and Library, and saw the Rosetta Stone, the Magna Carta, the original compositions of Mozart, Bethoven, Chopin, Mahler, Handel, and the Beatles. Also saw the original manuscripts of Shakespeare, Dickens, Chaucer, and Tolstoy. In the evening, I went to see the musical, Bombay Dreams at the Apollo Victoria Theatre. Now, that was my day, and the reason I needed to share. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 12:38 pm
CI -- March 19 was a real busy day for you and full of magical things. Ancient and modern, side by side. As well as celebrating many things from other countries, this little island has achieved a great deal on it's own account. Magna Carter > Shakespeare > Dickens > Beatles > Modern theatre. London might not be perfect, but it's pretty darn good.

Diane --- Fatima's poem is pretty darn good as well. Sharp words, statements. When I read it I felt the heat, fear, hope that it contained.
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 10:58 pm
Letty,

First, thank you for your warm welcome.

It is good to hear that it mad you think, which I believe poetry should do. Poetry that does not hold secrets, to me, is not true poetry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, the war in Iraq.

Tonight, a POW, who had been listed as MIA, was returned. A 19 year old young woman! To think......19years old. The thought Is overwhelming!

And, to the suggestion of fear, it caught me by surprise. Which , then was another surprise. FEAR. ....for the soldiers, civilians: on both sides who have good hearts and just wish to live in PEACE! For the earth and the rest of all the people who inhabit this planet. Then there are those are to inherit this earth. May we leave them a legacy of honor and landscapes that are fertile.

fatima10
0 Replies