A2k - Other Forums

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:19 pm
How does A2K rate in your personal experience with other boards?

A2K was my first real experience with online msg boards/forums...and I do enjoy my time here. So much is offered, the variety not just of people but of discussion topic is so wide and dare I say It -varied- you couldn't want for more I think.

I have since joined 2 other msg boards/forums. One I post at and joined is culturally centered and the other is more like a2k, but at the same time totally different. I get good things from both these boards, but neither of them compare, on the grand all encompassing scale to this place.

I'm just curious to know if you belong to other online forums how do they compare to a2k? what's offered and what's not? what's good to you and what isn't?

*and oh yeah...I miss you guys and I PROMISE not to be gone so long again*
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,138 • Replies: 74
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:20 pm
The people. Plain and simple. I like the people here.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:32 pm
BBB
bm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:34 pm
You BETTER not be gone so long again!!!

I've been involved with hmmm 5? Abuzz, which I'm sure you've heard a lot about, was the first one. Going with the "I'm sure you've heard a lot about it" part, I won't go into how wonderful it was yet again. (It was definitely fun, though, partly for the fact that it was my first forum experience, and partly specifics about that forum.) Then I belonged to a parenting board that was a nightmare -- one tiny corner was good for factual info, but I kept being shocked and appalled by the stuff that went on elsewhere. Mean mean mean judgmental women.

Then I participated in a couple of MSN communities, one of which was Raven's Realm, the precursor to this site, and the other was an arts site. I was very involved with the arts site for a while, a few other members here were involved there, too. (The parenting site is the only one that I've been involved in that was in an entirely different sphere, everything else has been at least somewhat related.)

ehBeth has directed me to Taunton a few times, it is somewhat interesting but I just haven't gotten into it.

There are a few Abuzz spin-off sites that I have checked out, I've been utterly appalled a few times but mostly just not moved to participate. (I've tried, feels weird to be involved in only one forum after having at least 3 places to go for a while.)

In the course of job searching have found a few more, especially writer-oriented, may get more involved with those but I doubt it -- generally am moving more towards using computer time to do something income-generating, so rather than adding discussion I'll probably be gradually subtracting. (Have already greatly reduced my participation, though it's a bit sporadic, not much for a bit and then more again when it's a rainy day or I'm between assignments or whatever.)

Anyway, even A2K feels like a few different experiences -- it was tiny at the beginning, that was a very different feeling than now. Tiny had its charms, but I like now much more.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:36 pm
There are other boards???
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:43 pm
Only other forums I participate on are a couple of motorcycle-related ones, and I'm not too active. I spend too much time goofing off here as it is.

Oh, I left out the "guys who like retarded asian midgets" forum I frequent.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:43 pm
onyxelle
onyxelle, its the people, even the ones I think are a bit looney. I've enjoyed meeting a few in person and we've become friends.

Craven works hard to maintain and support the A2K site along with other volunteers.

Even though A2K's membership is huge, we still have a caring community here. That was brought home when Cavfancier died and we are seeing it again with Bi-Polar-Bear's current illness. These are only two examples of how A2K comes together to help members in distress. We share our tears and laugh our heads off at our antics and goofups and the wit of so many of our members.

A2K is like living with your relatives, even the crazy aunt in the attic. Most of the time we get along. A few times we get grumpy, but that's OK.

BBB

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:57 pm
I'm everywhere, I'm everywhere!

these days:

p45.net - mostly just to read
taunton boards - cooking/gardening/crafts
the westcoastbuzz whose name shall never be spoken Cool
buzzard's roost, on occasion
i'm a member of 3 or 4 groups at care2 - occasionally wander in

used to go to:

a couple of yahoo groups - sorta fell out of those
the late, occasionally great Abuzz
a couple of msn groups including the ones soz mentioned
ivillage - used to like some areas there

In all cases the people are what make or break the site.
Kinda like life.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 02:10 pm
I was a Forum virgin, until A2K came along and ravaged me in a virtual sort of way.
Seeing as I am a one forum type of guy, I shall remain faithful until a "Frustrated Nurses" Board comes along.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 02:11 pm
Curious, how'd you find us, Ellpus? Some sort of large glowing hand that pointed the way, that sort of thing?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 02:14 pm
sozobe wrote:
Curious, how'd you find us, Ellpus? Some sort of large glowing hand that pointed the way, that sort of thing?

you know what?

I am a serious A2K touter.

no kidding....i am always talking about what a great place this is....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 02:15 pm
I used to go to the "guys who like retarded asian midgets" forum a lot as well. But Slappy kept chasing 'em away so it just wasnt really worth the bother anymore.

Thats about it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 02:17 pm
ellpus was one of the first guys over at GWLRAM who gave up. he was just tryin to chill there and slappy kept tellin 'im, if you hafta go be a freakin' weirdo, go be it at A2K, 'k?

so he did
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 03:57 pm
No......< good god, he's going to get a big head >......it was Gus!

I was fresh out of Hospital and bored to buggery at home, confined to barracks for six weeks.

I was googling in a non sexual way, and typed in "humour" and "forum", which produced umpteen million sites. Some made me chuckle, some made me cringe, but ONE stood out from the crowd, and seemed a nice place to be.

Then I spotted a story that clinched it for me. I cant remember exactly what it was (something about Capybara no doubt) and it was the first time that I had belly laughed in ages, which was very uncomfortable, as I still had numerous stitches in place.

I then saw a couple of threads with typical Slappy humour, and Kicky was going on about something that made me laugh.
So......finding these three all on one forum confirmed to me that I had found my "virtual" home.
Since then (only three months or so ago....seems a lot longer) I feel I have got to know several other strange people here, and many other good hearted individuals.

Others that really hit my funny bone, for various reasons, are Stilly, that funny little dog on a scooter, Farmerman (he cracks me up) Blatham (yes, Blatham....a unique sense of humour, which I love) and Heeven, when she is not trying to chat me up.

There are some that I will no doubt remember at a later time, but I can honestly say that A2K has such a wonderful mix of human beings, and I am now officially addicted.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:31 pm
I must say, Lord Ellpus, that from your very first post, it was obvious that you belonged here.

You're one of the A2K Classics in my book.

<curtsy>
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:41 pm
As with many others here I was on Abuzz and I still participate on 3 other discussion boards but they are all very technical - one on Computer related stuff, one on home theater stuff and one on a specific piece of home theater equipment - but those don't have anywhere near the range or breadth of discussions that go on here.

Most of the other sites I've looked at are very single issue oriented. I can login here and read up on how people's gardens are doing, who's having dating problems, who's car is on the blink, computer questions, politics (of course), international news items.. You name it, it's here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:45 pm
I'm another refugee from Abuzz. I belong to some other forums, but none is so vibrant as this one. I am not always completely happy in any one place, so I constantly look around. I also belong to a writer's forum and have a blog of my own. Much too many places to visit when I ought to be busy on other projects.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:37 pm
Apart from here, I'm mostly on travel forums (fora??)
I'm an old Abuzzer - and used the Realm, until this one burst into existence!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:48 pm
Another old abuzzer here as well. I have joined several other forums, but I never stayed with them long because I have everything I need here on A2K. I agree with the others in saying that it's the people. I've known some of you guys for almost 6 years and you're family :-D
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:55 pm
I'm on one forum with a group of women pals and have a desultory email community of my own real-life friends who find it facilitates our friendship to use email instead of the telephone - but that's not a forum, just time at the computer.
I spend too much time at a2k, or at least with it on my monitor, but it has provided me with a lot of sustenance over the time I've been here. I am constantly learning from people like Farmerman, and appreciate the level of discussion that can suddenly blossom in seemingly unlikely places. I love the wit. I love having new members show up who write with verve and lucidity.
0 Replies