polysaccharide in seawead detroy Covid-19 virus?

phannha

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 01:44 am
a type Seaweads rich polysaccharide have RPI-27 prevent and destroy covid-19 virus? Can you believe it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 708 • Replies: 18
Topic Closed
No top replies

farmerman

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 02:03 am
@phannha,
I can see a big run on the sushi boards at places like suprmarkts . rpi-27 is a component of the polysacharrides in NORI and seaweed salads,

0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 07:17 am
If there is a well done scientific study showing this that is accepted by the scientific community, then you should believe it.

If not... then it is just another piece of meaningless fiction floating around the internet.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 08:08 am
The covid-19 virus is protected by a lipid membrane (lipids are just fats). This means that on surfaces, the virus is effectively destroyed by normal dish soap (which is designed to break down lipids).

This does not mean that you should drink dish soap. It does mean that you should clean your kitchen.

The virus has evolved to infect humans through our mucous membranes. The virus is very happy, comfortable and protected once it enters the human body (until it encounters our immune response, but that is another story).

Just because you read on the internet that something "destroys covid-19 virus", it doesn't mean that it is at all effective as a cure or prevention in the human body.

Keep washing your hands. Wear a mask. Listen to the scientists.

farmerman

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 08:19 am
@maxdancona,
actually theres a sort of (+/-) effect on surface chemistry involved. Soaps (especially detergents) are great emulsifying agents, so are these complex sugars . Youre right , but were the polysaccharideeffective at cleaving via emulsification , reserch should continue to see whether or not the sugars can serve as (sort of) poly peptide reactions of amino acids .

Science shouldnt dismiss anything just because our present limited knowledge doesnt find a reason for its reactivity. We can learn. We were poo pooing masks and HCQ earlier, and only later after intense study we discovered facts contrary to our earlier "scientific beliefs"

maxdancona

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 08:26 am
@farmerman,
I think we are in agreement Farmerman... my main point is listen to the scientists.

There are simple ways that scientists say that we can combat covid-19. They are social distancing, hand washing, and face masks.

I am not sure if you were indirectly referencing my original skepticism of face masks, but yes, several months ago I am on record as being skeptical of the effectiveness of face masks. When the science became clear, I changed my mind. This was because the scientific community (including public health experts I know personally) said confidently that they now had the scientific evidence. I changed my mind.

The main thing I am saying is to trust the scientific experts.
farmerman

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 08:38 am
@maxdancona,
dont be senitive, youve been to conferences I assume, nd suffered the slings of disagreement with a proposal

I too was so critical of HCQ but recent research has shown that, with decreased dosage at the right time of admission , HCQ can be a possible effective palliative WITHOUT lethal side effects. Its a lesson that we get daily about facts and evidence. Opinions appealing to our "science" are only valid if they can be repeated and we have positive evidence (and no evidence refutes).

I once published a work on tantalum salts and ores and while my results were right they were right for totally wrong reasons. I had this pointed to me and took me another 6 months to come up with the repeatable evidence. I was cocky and was certain I was the smartest guy in the company (I was not yet 20 and a year out of college so it was all I had ). Its amazing how the work of a team is more self correcting than "solo science".
0 Replies

Tryagain

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 04:45 pm
"... my main point is listen to the scientists."

Don't make me laugh, are they the same 'Experts' who...

On January 14, the World Health Organization (WHO) tweeted that there was "No clear evidence" that the coronavirus could spread between people.

"When the Black Death struck Europe in the middle of the 14th century, nobody knew how to prevent or treat the disease. Many believed they could cure it, but none of the bloodletting, concoctions, or prayers were successful.

The overall intellectual framework of dealing with illness was flawed. The failure of medieval medicine is largely due to the strict adherence to ancient authorities and the reluctance to change the model of physiology and disease the ancients presented".

The best known 'cure' suggested by the 'experts' was; the “Vicary Method”, named after the English doctor Thomas Vicary, who first proposed it.

A healthy chicken was taken and its back and rear plucked clean; this bare part of the live chicken was then applied to the swollen nodes of the sick person and the chicken strapped in place.

When the chicken showed signs of illness, it was thought to be drawing the disease from the person. It was removed, washed, and strapped back on and this continued until the chicken or the patient died.

Nothing has changed in six hundred years. Whatever is said today will be disproved in time.
farmerman

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 05:00 pm
@Tryagain,
so you suggest we listen to the politician in chief???
Hes been lying for a living his entire life. Scientists are guilty of ignorance. That can be corrected and imagine, weve gone from understanfding antibodies to the actions of B nd T cells and weve learned almost the entire biochemistry of this hunk of RNA. Could you have done any of it?? Do you even understand one bit of the science??
Science dos make errors, but at a so much higher level that the uneducated believe its "witchcraft or something from the DEEP STATE"

On Feb 27 the US Secretary of Health (who is an anesthesiologist who probably unerstand as much about epidemiology as any anesthesiologist =vry little). Anyway, on Feb 27 hw said, in public that "youve got to b careful wearing a mask since masks can actually cause the disease) He was playing the political fiddle in Trumps Orchestra. He gave up his credibility a a scientist.

Dr Fauci also made some dumass statements, , but they werent politically motivated , and as we learned more abut this pandemic he corrected himself and redirected his teams. Thats about the same time Herr Trump started calling him names.

0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 05:06 pm
@Tryagain,
I just read your stuff about one of the Bubonic and Pneumonic plague episodes that struck Europe from the 14th through the 17th centuries. Are you actually comparing science of that time to today?

Back then people routinely died of tooth decay.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 05:17 pm
@Tryagain,
I will defend science Tryagain against you. It is not a difficult task.

Science has literally doubled the human life expectancy. Science has stamped out small pox, nearly eradicated polio. Leprosy is no longer a problem.

- You make the point that we know more about disease now than we did in the 14th century.... I agree. Point science and scientists.

- And you are saying that in January that scientists waited for evidence before jumping to a conclusion.... again, that is one of the strengths of science.

I find it amazing that anti-science trolls use the internet (which is, one of the victories of modern science). Science isn't infallible, but it is far better than anything else on the planet as far as making informed logical decisions when faced with a global pandemic.

0 Replies

derpydoo

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 06:14 pm
Masks are proven to cure covid-19 corona. That is why trump does not believe in them.
maxdancona

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 07:04 pm
@derpydoo,
Masks "cure" covid-19?

I haven't seen anyone make this claim.
roger

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 07:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Well, they improve your odds of not catching it. Better than nothing.
maxdancona

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 08:00 pm
@roger,
My objection is to the use of the word "cure".

You can't be cured of a virus you don't catch.
roger

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 08:10 pm
@maxdancona,
I know that.
0 Replies

derpydoo

Tue 27 Oct, 2020 08:37 pm
@roger,
That is exactly why.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Wed 28 Oct, 2020 05:24 pm
I have no wish to appear controversial but we have we come a long way since we measured in cubits.

600 years ago the advice was to stick a chickens ass on your head. Now the advice is to drink bleach!

Just consider this - when was the last time you wore a merkin?

Nuff said.
farmerman

Wed 28 Oct, 2020 05:37 pm
@Tryagain,
Quote:
Now the advice is to drink bleach!
youve not helped your opinion. It was medical science that saif "DO NOT INJECT OR INGEST ANY DETERGENTS"

0 Replies