Is my reading of this sentence correct?

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 12:40 pm
Shoul I read "They disclosed a soul of rare devotion kept sane and sweet by a kindly, humorous sense and a practical outlook on the world." as "they showed the model/symbol of a rere devotion kept sane and sweet by (1)a kindly, humorous sense and (2) by a practical outlook on the world."?

The tall, thin figure of the minister, his pale, ascetic face lit by large eyes, luminous with tenderness and humour, his modest bearing, his quiet words charged with the magnetism of sympathy, all these revealed in full measure what manner of man he is. They disclosed a soul of rare devotion kept sane and sweet by a kindly, humorous sense and a practical outlook on the world.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 261 • Replies: 1
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 07:54 pm
I don't think "model/symbol" really captures the meaning of "soul".

A person's soul is their being. Their mind. Their personality. It is who they are. If there is some further existence waiting for us when we die, the soul is what goes on to that further existence.

Your numbering in the latter half of the sentence does correctly capture the meaning of that part of the sentence however.
0 Replies