Does "reproduce" here mean "recount"?

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2020 07:35 am
Does "reproduce" here mean "recount"?

Sir Oliver Lodge, for his part, says It must not be supposed that my outlook has changed appreciably since the event, and the particular experiences related in the foregoing pages; my conclusion has been gradually forming itself for years, though, undoubtedly, it is based on experience of the same sort of thing. But this event has strengthened and liberated my testimony.It can now be associated with a private experience of my own, instead of with the private experiences of others. So long as one was dependent on evidence connected, even indirectly connected, with the bereavement of others, one had to be reticent and cautious, and in some cases silent. Only by special permission could any portion of the facts be reproduced; and that permission might in important cases be withheld. My own deductions were the same then as they are now, but the facts are now my own.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 297 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2020 07:48 am
@solesoul,
No, reproduce means to get the same results again. For example, if you trimmed a bush and the bush bloomed a month later, you might want to try it again to see if it was your trimming that got it to bloom or something else. You are trying to reproduce what you observed before.
solesoul

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2020 08:03 am
@engineer,
Thanks.
0 Replies