"I know of no parallel to that" refer to what?

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2020 10:22 am
Does "I know of no parallel to that" refer to "the parallel between the predictions in the scripts and the beliefs or aspirations" or does it refer to "parallel between war and a Utopia"?

But this last parallel between the predictions in the scripts and the beliefs or aspirations that declared themselves with such strange ubiquity and intensity when war broke out, is in truth only a superficial parallel; for whereas the wave of idealism that swept over the Empire followed, or at best synchronized with, the beginning of the War, for many years before August, 1914, the scripts had repeatedly combined predictions of a Utopia with predictions of war, and had combined them in such a manner as to imply that the one is to be the outcome of the other. I know of no parallel to that. The writers, the soldiers, the diplomatists, and the politicians who forewarned us of the War, preached its dangers and its horrors, but they did not tell us that this perilous and horrible tragedy would yet prove to be the birth-throes of a happier world.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 319 • Replies: 1
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2020 03:15 pm
@solesoul,
It refers to your first alternative.
0 Replies