I have been having an issue with posting pics in threads. Can someone please help?

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 10:10 pm
Hi. I have been having an issue with posting pics in threads lately. I know this site has the "Img" function but it doesn't have the function that will let you post images directly to posts in threads like on some other sites.

You can press the "Img" button, which will post "[img][/img]" and post the URL of the image you wish to post between "[img]" and "[/img]". Or you type out "[img][/img]" and insert the URL of the image you wish to post between "[img]" and "[/img]".

I have a Flickr and a Photobucket account. Flickr and Photobucket are both photo-sharing sites. When I have tried posting pics from these sites in posts in threads lately I get a broken image icon in my post. What I see is "[img](broken image icon)[/img]". This has happened when I tried posting pics without using Flickr or Photobucket. How do I fix this?

Also, are JPG and JPEG files the only image files this site will allow?

Please help. Thank you.

justaguy2

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 11:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
It could mean at least a couple of things. But fundamentally, you need to include the full domain name of the site the image is located on, as well as the full path to said image, with the actual filename of the image including the file extension. If you are using Firefox, then you can right-click on the image itself, and select "Copy Image Location", then right-click between the [img] tags and select "Paste" - that always works for me. Sites that use a lot of scripts might hide the URL leading to the image. Therefore you might be posting a broken link instead of the correct URL that leads to the image.

All of that said, I just tried it myself and have the same problem you describe, so it looks like a problem with this site.

I don't know the answer to your second question though, as it depends on the types of images files the forum software accepts.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 11:40 pm
@justaguy2,
Thank you Just. Do I know you?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 11:45 pm
@justaguy2,
Jespah is a site staff member. I'll wait for her to respond.
justaguy2

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 12:09 am
@JGoldman10,
Well then, why did you start a thread instead of just contacting them directly, or the site admins directly ?
cherrie

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 01:34 am
@justaguy2,
Because this is what he does.
justaguy2

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 02:12 am
@cherrie,
It seems that way...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 05:28 am
@JGoldman10,
Actually, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page on this site. Thank you
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 07:13 am
@jespah,
Thank you Jespah. I forgot about that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 07:49 am
@justaguy2,
I forgot about the "Contact Us" link Jespah is referring to.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 12:11 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Photobucket now wants to be seen as the site you can trust to store your photos forever. It’s a major turn from just a couple years ago — in June 2017, Photobucket quietly introduced a $399 annual fee to embed images on third-party sites.

Source
https://imgur.com/ladEqQJ.jpg
Flickr owner SmugMug says it needs more money to ‘keep the Flickr dream alive’
CEO Don MacAskill is asking fans of the product to subscribe to Flickr Pro

I bet you don't have paid accounts for either service which ultimately is the basis of your current problem. Which begs the question that their not-so-new photo embedding policies (being behind a paywall) have been around several years now (well at least Photobucket had), why are you now noticing this as an issue?
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 03:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, both of my accounts are still free.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 05:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

No, both of my accounts are still free.

Rolling Eyes You're not very bright. Of course, your accounts are still free. And that's why you can no longer hotlink images to a2k when hosting images on these photo services. Rolling Eyes Because you aren't paying for the paid premium services. Rolling Eyes
justaguy2

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2020 06:09 am
@tsarstepan,
I think I may have misspoken before; The image I tried to post wasn't from any "photo sharing site", it was from the BBC (from memory). So I think I had a different problem that was in fact with this site, but I think it something to do with the  tags.

I've just tried to recreate the problem and I seem to have done just that. The same URL does lead to, and display the image in my browser, but doesn't appear to display in post here.

[img]https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44327000/jpg/_44327611_yearsstories2_416.jpg

The problem is because I wrote [img] in the first paragraph above but didn't write [/img] and terminate the first [img] tag. So it seems there is a bug in the forum software here, and therefore using [img] in the first paragraph above without terminating it with [/img] means the text between [img] and [/img] at the end of the actual URL to the image is included.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 07:46 am
@justaguy2,
Will Firefox let me post pics directly in posts that I upload from my smartphone?
jespah

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 09:13 am
@justaguy2,
That's not a bug.

The BB code only works with the end tag. The software here is old, so it's got to be
Code:[img]whatevertheimageURLis[/img]
justaguy2

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 10:09 am
@jespah,
Yes I know that, but that wasn't what I was talking about.

I was saying that if I have two [img] tags and only one end tag, then whatever is in-between the first [img] tag and the end tag ALL gets included. Where it should in that case ignore the first [img] tag if the second one is exactly the same. So yes, that would be a bug, regardless of whether that was deliberately overlooked in the software's development or not - in software development terms in would be similar to writing valid code that leads to undefined behavior (because the logic isn't correct or similar).

But yes, I had no doubt the forum software is old.
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 10:11 am
@JGoldman10,
If you want to post an image on a forum like this, then that image has to be stored somewhere accessible to this forum - the SD card in your smartphone would not be accessible to this forum. And regardless of whatever web browser you're using, the same is true. If that's what you're talking about wanting to do.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 01:43 pm
@justaguy2,
So I'd have to save the pic to an online photo album.
justaguy2

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 08:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes, the image(s) would have to be stored on the public internet for this site to have access to it/them. This site would have no access to something that isn't online to begin with.
0 Replies