2
   

I just have a few questions

 
 
Glass
 
Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 07:00 am
1. I am thinking about going to a night law school that is not yet certified by the ABA. Does anyone know how this will affect my ability to get a job out of the state of Alabama? The school is accredited by SACS. Or, can anyone post a link to a site that can help me? I need to go to a night school, because I am a teacher and need to continue to support my family.

2. I graduated with my undergrad degree with a GPA of 3.45. Around what LSAT score will I need to get some type of scholarship? I know that this varies from school to school, but can someone give me what a good LSAT score would be?

3. What good books can I read about law school and practicing law?

Thanks for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,541 • Replies: 8
No top replies

 
Glass
 
  1  
Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:02 am
Ok, I found one of my answers, but I have another question
Here is a link to a pdf document that gives the requirements of taking the bar exam in all 50 states: www.abanet.org/legaled/ publications/2004comguide/chart3.pdf.


I am thinking of attending Thomas Goode Jones School of Law in Montgomery, Alabama. They have a first-time pass rate of the Alabama Bar Exam of nearly 90%. The average passing rate of the Alabama Bar Exam is 55%. They are a reputable school in the state, and they seem to require the same course work that Cumberland and UA Law Schools require. So, why are they not yet accredited by the ABA? It doesn't make sense to me.
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:23 am
Re: I just have a few questions
Glass wrote:
1. I am thinking about going to a night law school that is not yet certified by the ABA. Does anyone know how this will affect my ability to get a job out of the state of Alabama? The school is accredited by SACS. Or, can anyone post a link to a site that can help me? I need to go to a night school, because I am a teacher and need to continue to support my family.

For the most part, if you graduate from a non-accredited law school you will not be able to sit for the bar exam in any other state (California appears to be an exception).

Glass wrote:
2. I graduated with my undergrad degree with a GPA of 3.45. Around what LSAT score will I need to get some type of scholarship? I know that this varies from school to school, but can someone give me what a good LSAT score would be?

Sorry, the best answer I can give to this question is "it varies from school to school."

Glass wrote:
3. What good books can I read about law school and practicing law?

This is an interesting question. I'll start a new thread on the subject.

Glass wrote:
I am thinking of attending Thomas Goode Jones School of Law in Montgomery, Alabama. They have a first-time pass rate of the Alabama Bar Exam of nearly 90%. The average passing rate of the Alabama Bar Exam is 55%. They are a reputable school in the state, and they seem to require the same course work that Cumberland and UA Law Schools require. So, why are they not yet accredited by the ABA? It doesn't make sense to me.

There are a number of reasons why a school wouldn't be accredited by the ABA. Sometimes it's just because the school is too new (I don't think the ABA will accredit any school less than five years old). Otherwise, it's because the school doesn't meet the ABA standards in some way. Could be the quality of the faculty, the number of books in the library ... who knows?
0 Replies
 
Glass
 
  1  
Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:27 pm
Thanks, Joe
I have done some more research and found most of my answers. I visited with the dean of student services at the school today. He said that the last time they applied for accreditation was five years ago. They plan to apply again this fall, and if they are not given accreditation, he said they will seek it again as soon as possible. They hired a new law librarian who has been through the process twoce before, and they think he is getting the work done in the library that is needed for accreditation.

Another question:

When a firm goes to hire an applicant, are they usually more open to hiring a graduate from an ABA school?

Thanks again for all your help.
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 07:59 am
Re: Thanks, Joe
Glass wrote:
When a firm goes to hire an applicant, are they usually more open to hiring a graduate from an ABA school?

I know that large (150+ lawyers) law firms will only send recruiters to accredited law schools, and, in general, most large firms will be reluctant to hire a recent grad from an unaccredited school. Smaller firms, on the other hand, would probably be more open to hiring them. The employment situation for grads from unaccredited schools really rests on the local employment situation: if law firms in Alabama are hiring, then they are probably hiring some grads from unaccredited Alabama law schools.
0 Replies
 
Glass
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 02:49 pm
Here are some books I found.
I am currently reading How to Get into Law School by Susan Estrich.

Very good and informative read. I am about to post another thread with a question in it. Sorry for bothering you guys so much, but I have to see if this is what I want to do.
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:18 am
Re: Here are some books I found.
Glass wrote:
Sorry for bothering you guys so much, but I have to see if this is what I want to do.

No bother at all. You may want to check out this thread for more collected wisdom on becoming a lawyer.
0 Replies
 
jespah
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 05:47 pm
Hey Glass, no trouble, that's why we're here. Welcome to A2K. Smile
0 Replies
 
Glass
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:28 pm
Thanks, Jespah.
I stumbled across this site, and it has been a great help. Please, would all of you answer this question?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about55583.html
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » I just have a few questions
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/10/2021 at 09:03:14