The WildClickers take the train to the Rainforest. Track 61

sumac

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 11:39 pm
http://www.coppercanyon-mexico.com/cc-mex/images/cctren17.jpg

Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad, the company which started building the "Copper Canyon" line.

Quoted below is material from this site:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/travel/tonysarticles/cpprcanarticle.html

For an unusual winter break, how about a Mexican train ride? The Reader's Digest called Mexico's famous Copper Canyon railroad trip, "the most dramatic train ride in the western hemisphere". Even that description fails to do justice to the spectacular scenery and sightseeing along the line.

The railroad was originally built to give southern Texas farm produce access to a Pacific port. It is still the only major transport link across the Western Sierra Madre for a very long way in any direction, though a paved road will soon open this area up like never before!

The line runs from Ojinaga on the Texas-Mexico border to Chihuahua and then west through canyon country to the Pacific port of Topolobampo, near Los Mochis. The railroad's construction ran into all kinds of problems - from the opening of the competitive Panama canal route, to the Mexican Revolution (which began in 1910), but the greatest obstacle was the apparently untameable Sierra.

IMPOSSIBLE?
The initial capital was mostly American but both the investors and their hired engineers gave up the project in the first half of this century, pronouncing it "impossible". After nationalizing all foreign-owned railroad lines, Mexico announced, in 1953, plans to complete the Copper Canyon line which at the time still lacked a route through the most difficult part of the mountain range, near Temoris.

Eight years later, the line was finished. It had involved some extraordinary engineering and the final cost was over US$100 million. The highlights include the elegant La Laja canyon bridge, which comes immediately after a tunnel at km 638, a complete 360 degree loop at El Lazo, km 585 (there are only three comparable examples anywhere in North America) and a 180 degree turn inside a tunnel near Temoris at km 708. Incidentally, the kilometre numbers for the entire line are taken from the eastern terminus at Ojinaga.

Between Chihuahua and Los Mochis, the section usually travelled by tourists, there are 37 bridges and 86 tunnels; most of them are between Los Mochis and Creel. The line crosses the Continental Divide three times, reaches a maximum height of 2400 m, and for much of its route skirts the rim of an enormous canyon system.

BIGGER THAN THE GRAND CANYON
This canyon system is what gives the railway its name. Strictly speaking, the Copper Canyon is only one of a number of interlocking canyons or barrancas in the area. Not only are these barrancas deeper and narrower than the U.S. Grand Canyon, they are also longer. Whereas the Grand Canyon is desert-like, with virtually no vegetation, the Copper Canyon is thickly wooded in most places and a beautiful green, especially in the rainy season from June to October.

Also, see: http://www.coppercanyon-mexico.com/cc-mex/cctren.htm
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:37 am
sumac, Thanks for the great link.......That is the exact area that I picked to live in when I first retired in 1986. I had in mind living along the coast. There are beaches, trees, rivers and a nice town. It is also drivable to the USA for things like appliances, etc. that would not be available in Mexico.
One thing I found interesting is the name of the town - Los Mochis. At about the turn of the last century, an American businessman invested in the area and brought many, many Americans down there. The Americans would constantly go around shopping while asking "How much is this?" and "How much is that?". The name Los Mochis is Mexican for "The Muches" referring to the Americans. Funny eh??

clicked
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:32 am
Yeah, it is funny. How did you like the town and why did you move out? Thinking about northern Mexico for myself.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:02 pm
I had picked the area - but didn't actually go there. At the time an American couldn't even possess a bank account, muchless think of owning property. That has all changed since '86.
I've visited other touristy spots along the W coast of Mexico. I've heard recently on TV that the area is really good for Americans. It would be a great place if you are serious.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 04:17 pm
sumac,

http://www.clubmarena.com/mexico_retirement_communities_baja.htm

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=34910
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 04:51 pm
Thanks to both of you. I will check out the links. But I have no money to invest, so can't buy anything of value. I will probably have to go to a barrio. ?????

BTW, they have locked my thread on expatriation. ?????
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 04:55 pm
Habitat supported by you and your friends

You and your 283 friends have supported 1,938,769.0 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 49,275.6 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 283 friends have supported: (49,275.6)

American Prairie habitat supported: 36,397.3 square feet.
You have supported: (10,230.0)
Your 283 friends have supported: (26,167.4)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,853,096.1 square feet.
You have supported: (161,823.7)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,691,272.4)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1165 44.506 acres
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:05 pm
sumac, and right after Anons' very first a2k posting!

Musta been sumpin' he said. Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:07 pm
the Mexican rainforest web portal

http://www.rainforestweb.org/Rainforest_Regions/North_and_Central_America/Mexico/

~~~~~~~~~

Most peculiar, that thread-locking. Confused
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:12 pm
Perhaps because Diane and I were using the word "prick"? Or because Anon said: "dear Susan"?

Absurd, in any event.

Great link, ehBeth. Will go look see.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:43 pm
Who knows. Hope Anon finishes the project, and there wont' be a reason for the "why" question.

"Absurd" a mild definition, imo.

ehBeth, thanks for the informative links. Research reveals a lack of Human Rights and backing from the Mexican government especially in the case of murdered activists. Not a wonder Mexican nationals march across the border in droves.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:34 pm
Great link, ehBeth. I am ashamed to say that I was not aware of it. But it did give me some good reading on what is going on in both Mexico and Belize. I gotta say, Belize is looking better and better.

Check out this fantastic website for Programme for Belize. They are doing everything correctly!!!!! What I would not give to sell everything here and go join the effort. Particularly see their links page, and photos.

Below is but one, if I can get it.

Oops, have to do it on post reply.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:36 pm
http://www.pfbelize.org/about.html

http://www.wrm.org.uy/imagenes_compartidas/Belice/Belice37_ch.jpg
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:06 am
A good Wednesday morning to all.......

The links are giving me the urge to travel.... I love to see new and interesting places.

All clicked - for another tree.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:09 am
Isn't that Programme for Belize wonderful? Those people sure sound like they know what they are doing, and just as important, why. I wanna go join them.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:53 pm
sumac, great link and info!

Lovely place for a vacation! Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 02:04 pm
Occom Bill looked into moving to Belize. He ended up with a restaurant in Wisconsin instead. Confused
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 05:36 pm
Belize to Wisconsin? Hmm..... And I thought he was in Florida... Hmmm....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 06:24 pm
Habitat supported by you and your friends

You and your 283 friends have supported 1,939,143.6 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 49,439.5 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 283 friends have supported: (49,439.5)

American Prairie habitat supported: 36,397.3 square feet.
You have supported: (10,230.0)
Your 283 friends have supported: (26,167.4)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,853,306.8 square feet.
You have supported: (161,847.1)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,691,459.7)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1166 44.512 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:10 pm
sumac,
Please be sure about Belize - before you plan to go there.

The one thing I have read about the area is that you should plan a trial trip - about six weeks minimum - before you make final arrangements.

Please do that before you obligate yourself.
0 Replies