Monsters on the prowel

Baldimo

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 09:08 pm
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Joseph Edward Duncan III (search), the violent sex predator who stands charged with kidnapping two Idaho siblings, repeatedly molested both children, according to an 8-year-old girl's account of her ordeal.

In a hand-written court document containing Shasta Groene's story of her abduction, Kootenai County Sheriff's Sgt. Brad Maskell wrote that both children "were repeatedly molested."

Duncan, 42, who appeared in court via video hook-up Tuesday, was charged with two first-degree kidnapping counts and ordered held without bail.

Wearing a yellow jumpsuit, Duncan was shackled and appeared unshaven as he looked intently at the judge during the televised hearing. He appeared to be crying and said little, other than to acknowledge that he understood the charges against him and asking if could consult his attorney, Lynn Nelson, a public defender.

The intent of the crimes, court documents said, was to rape, seriously injure or commit a lewd and lascivious act on a child under 16 years old. Convictions can carry the death penalty or life in prison.

Dylan, 9, and Shasta Groene, 8, vanished May 16, when the bodies of their mother, older brother and mother's boyfriend were found at their rural home. Shasta told investigators Duncan, a stranger, was also their killer.

Maskell told reporters that according to the girl's account, Duncan bound the family in ligatures after entering the home. She and Dylan were carried out of the house and placed in the pickup Duncan was driving.

After switching vehicles, Duncan took the two children to a campsite in Montana, the first of what would be several such sites. The two were repeatedly molested, Shasta told investigators.

Early Saturday, employees and customers spotted Shasta eating breakfast with Duncan in Coeur d'Alene.

Authorities on Tuesday continued to wait for DNA test (search) results of human remains found in western Montana earlier this week that may be those of the 9-year-old boy, who authorities believe is dead. Those results are expected to take three days.

Duncan has refused to cooperate with authorities, officials said. Authorities have relied on information from the 8-year-old girl, evidence from Duncan's stolen red Jeep Cherokee and some 100 new tips from the public in the search for the 9-year-old boy.

At a news conference in St. Regis, Mont., FBI Special Agent in Charge Tim Fuhrman of Salt Lake City confirmed Tuesday that the children were with Duncan in the Lolo National Forest of northwestern Montana sometime over the past seven weeks. But he said officials had not yet confirmed whether Duncan was with them the entire time.

A gas station and convenience store clerk in the western Montana logging community of about 300 people told The Associated Press she recognized Duncan after seeing his photo.

Jackie Allen, 26, told police Duncan had been a customer several weeks after the children disappeared. Neither of the children were with him at the time, she said.

"It's been crazy. I mean, if I would have known I probably could have saved those babies," said Allen, a mother of two.

Authorities believe the 8-year-old girl may have tried to get patrons at another gas station and convenience store to recognize her, hours before she was found at the Denny's restaurant.

Security camera videotape showed the girl and her alleged kidnapper at the store Friday evening in Kellogg, about 40 road miles east of Coeur d'Alene (search).

"In the small takes I saw out of that surveillance video, she's walking around, stopping, looking right at the faces of the different patrons there," Kootenai County Sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said Tuesday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Cameron Conoco owner Ted Beamis told The Associated Press that the girl's alleged abductor, "acted like he didn't have a care in the world" until one point during his visit.

"He was walking around. You could see him kind of watching her. One time in the store she's wandering up and down the aisles, and he kind of loses track of her, and you can see him looking around in a panic."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should this be the kind of case where the public starts pushing for more protection for monsters like this guy?

I think it is high time that child predators be implanted with tracking devices. If Joseph Edward Duncan had had a tracking device implanted on him he would have been found. In a case such as this authorities could have activated all trackers and started looking for the predators. I'm sure they would have been able to find this monster before the possible death of the little boy and the unimaginable horror the little girl suffered.

It's high time the public demanded stiffer treatment of child predators.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 860 • Replies: 6
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 06:35 am
I would track him a lttle differently.

It is hard to lose track of someone in a 9 by 9 JAILCELL!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:04 am
I would favor an automatic death penalty for those convicted of molesting a child under twelve. I am sure that the little girl will suffer her whole life, because of what this monster did to her, and her brother.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:05 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I would favor an automatic death penalty for those convicted of molesting a child under twelve. I am sure that the little girl will suffer her whole life, because of what this monster did to her, and her brother.

IMPOSSIBLE TO READ in YELLOW!@
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:10 am
woiyo - Check it out again. I already edited it. Problem is, that on the menu, the yellow is right next to the green, and if my hand slips.............................. Laughing
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:12 am
Ah..Much better...I can not disagree with your position as there is no punishment cruel enough for these types. Death may be too easy.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:29 pm
this heinous crime forces us to confront the basis of our legal system and question whether or not there are times when it does not work.

it is standard in our justice system to allow a person general freedom from further encumberment once his/her entire sentence has been fully served. it is already legal by the terms of certain sentences for individuals to be prohibited from certain future activities (cyber criminals are denied access to computers for instance, or white collar criminals are not allowed to engage in certain businesses). sex offenders already are forced to communicate to the community at large about their presence in the community where they abide, but in this case, it would not have prevented the kidnapping of those poor children.

under what set of logic is it acceptable to monitor sex offenders after they have completed their sentence and not other purpetrators of physical violence?

in other words what overriding logic is maintained by constant monitoring by the state of sex offenders, but not murderers? and if sex offenders and murderers, why not those all who have perpetrated physical assault? and if all of those, why not criminals who engaged in acts of theft or drugs?

again, i am referring to people who have fully completed their sentences, not those on parole (since under parole the conditions of a sentence are still enforcable).

Will the logical conclusion be the constant state monitoring of all pupetrators of acts of violence, even after they have completed their sewntence.?

How would that work, and how much will it cost?

how does this dovetail with the long accepted view that once a person has fully served their time they are returned to society without further restriction on them?

our criminal justice system is supposedly based upon using incarceration as a means of rehabilitation, not primarily as merely punishment. if we do not accept rehabilitation is possible there is no reason ever to release these criminals. if we accept that sex offenders, or any other type of criminal must be constantly monitored, then incarceration as a means to rehabilitation can not be considered acceptable in these cases. then we are left with life-long incarceration as merely a means of warehousing these people to prevent them from attacking society again.

and this is in conflict with the age-old archtype of "fall and redemption" that is the basis for the western Judeo-Christian thoughts on justice, which is summarized by "if God can forgive, humans must too."
0 Replies