Susan Rice: 'Makes No Sense' That Trump Wasn't Told Of Russia Bounties.

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 09:33 am

Susan Rice, former national security advisor in the Obama administration, talks with Rachel Maddow
about shocking reporting that Russia paid Taliban fighters to kill U.S. service members and that Donald Trump,
upon learning this, did not do anything.

Aired on 6/29/2020.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 2,426 • Replies: 39

revelette1

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 10:36 am
@Real Music,
She's right.

This too will be swept aside and the only to pay attention to it apparently are democrats. It should be of concern to everyone. American families loved ones died in Afghanistan. It is not an abstract issue. On my FB pages republicans there just say it is another side tracked made up story by democrats about Russia. The reality we live in is so depressing.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 11:05 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Susan Rice, former national security advisor in the Obama administration, talks with Rachel Maddow
about shocking reporting that Russia paid Taliban fighters to kill U.S. service members and that Donald Trump,
upon learning this, did not do anything.

Aired on 6/29/2020.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phlkI63vb4M[/youtube]

Almost nothing Trump does (and decides not to do) makes sense.

He is an abomination on our nation...and upon humanity.

The sooner we are rid of him, the better America and humanity will be.
Real Music

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 04:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Almost nothing Trump does (and decides not to do) makes sense.

He is an abomination on our nation...and upon humanity.

I agree 100 percent.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 04:12 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
It should be of concern to everyone.

It should be.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 04:49 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:

Susan Rice is a liar, a trained liar. She honed her skills on the Sunday shows all the way up to her CYA email about Obama.
jespah

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 05:35 pm
@coldjoint,
That doesn't matter.

Either 45 knew and did nothing, or his staff is so incompetent (and/or don't trust him) and they kept vital information from him. They didn't have to wait for oh my God cross those Ts and dot those I's confirmation, either. We've gone to war on intel with a lot less confirmation than this.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 06:13 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
That doesn't matter.

What, that she is a liar? It should matter.
Quote:
We've gone to war on intel with a lot less confirmation than this.

Which war was that? WND's were confirmed, the agencies were wrong.
Quote:
or his staff is so incompetent (and/or don't trust him) and they kept vital information from him.

This administration has been subject to leaks from Obama holdovers and all kinds of abuse by unelected officials. Trump has to watch his back constantly. Let him do his job.

Remember Obama kept information from Trump in the transfer of power.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 07:04 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

That doesn't matter.

Either 45 knew and did nothing, or his staff is so incompetent (and/or don't trust him) and they kept vital information from him. They didn't have to wait for oh my God cross those Ts and dot those I's confirmation, either. We've gone to war on intel with a lot less confirmation than this.

What would have liked him to do?

Give a speech from the Oval Office all serious about how our soldiers might be in danger from the people trying to kill them in a war zone? Do you really need that?

Give it proper lip service and go on TV and poo-poo Putin with no actual evidence?

Maybe send a nuke or two Russia's way?

Bring everyone home from Afghanistan and leave them to it?

What would make you happy with this?
RABEL222

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 07:08 pm
@McGentrix,
For Trump to admit he couldent say anything about it because it would make his hero Putin look bad?
Real Music

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 11:39 pm
@RABEL222,
1. Yes, Vladimir Putin is definitely Trump's (hero).

2. Vladimir Putin is also Trump's (master).
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 11:55 pm
@RABEL222,
1. I wonder if Vladimir Putin ever gets tired of Donald Trump constantly French kissing his ass.

2. Probably not. I'm pretty sure that Putin really enjoy having Trump be his slave boy.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 04:21 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

jespah wrote:

That doesn't matter.

What would have liked him to do?

Give a speech from the Oval Office all serious about how our soldiers might be in danger from the people trying to kill them in a war zone? Do you really need that?

Give it proper lip service and go on TV and poo-poo Putin with no actual evidence?

Maybe send a nuke or two Russia's way?

Bring everyone home from Afghanistan and leave them to it?

What would make you happy with this?

The LEAST any of us could have expected is that Trump would NOT have invited Putin for an Oval Office visit...or damn near insisted Russia (Putin) be given a seat at the G7.

THAT IS THE LEAST WE COULD HAVE EXPECTED.

But he did both of those things.

And that does not bother you???
jespah

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 05:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
This^ (thank you).

Giving every indication that everything was hunky dory isn't what you do with countries that want our soldiers dead.

45 could have also pushed for more investigation into the matter. Sanctions come to mind as well. Options existed.

And even if he didn't do anything, I am afraid you're missing my point.

The point is less about what 45 did or didn't do. It's about him knowing. He's the CinC. It's his job to know these things, and it's his staff's job to tell him.

By claiming he didn't know, it supports the picture of a fractious White House and/or a president who either doesn't pay attention to national security briefings, or doesn't ask questions, or is completely out of the loop.

None of these scenarios inspire confidence. And as for blaming his predecessor? He's had 3 1/2 years to put his own people in place. Or do we get treated to the concept of his administration being so woefully slow with making political appointments that a term is nearly up and key positions still aren't filled? Even after having both legislative houses for the first 2 years and retaining the Senate?

That doesn't exactly inspire confidence, either.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 06:28 am
@jespah,
So, based on NOTHING more than a NY Times article, we should cut ties with Russia?

This is the evidence:
Quote:
‘Officials Said’
This would be troublesome enough, but there are a number of reasons to be skeptical of the veracity of the claims. Firstly, the Times, Post and Journal’s reports are all based on fundamentally untrustworthy actors who refuse to go on the record. Here is a list of all the sources mentioned in the Times report:

“According to officials briefed on the matter”
“Officials said”
“Officials said”
“Officials said”
“Said Dmitry Peskov, the press secretary for President Vladimir V. Putin”
“Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban, denied”
“The officials spoke”
“Russian government officials have dismissed such claims”
“Gen. John W. Nicholson Jr., the commander of American forces in Afghanistan at the time, said”
“Officials were said to be confident”
“Some officials have theorized”
“Officials have also suggested”
“The officials briefed on the matter said”
“Western intelligence officials say”
“American intelligence officials say”
“American officials say”
“Officials briefed on its operations say”

Imagine, just for a second, the the US Intelligence agencies sent everything they know to the President daily, do you honestly suspect that he would have time to even eat?

This is just another, in a loooooong list of things the left leaning media is using to butcher Trump in the run up to the elections.

Do you have ANY evidence that this isn't just Russia meddling in the elections again? Is that even a possibility for you guys or are you so blind and full of TDS that you just don't care?
jespah

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 06:41 am
@McGentrix,
It's not say so. It's financial transfer data. And it's coming from these horribly liberal rags:
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-officials-discovered-russian-payments-taliban-to-kill-us-troops-2020-6
https://www.fox23.com/news/trending/intelligence-suggests-russian-bounties-led-deaths-several-us-troops-afghanistan-reports/E2MF36BLKREU3PEHK3IAMWXKHE/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2020/06/26/report-russia-offered-bounties-for-taliban-militants-to-kill-us-soldiers-and-other-allies/#9efe43e73309
https://www.ft.com/content/0665ee56-b9d6-428c-8cfb-f85fb0360f48
https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/28885/russian-bounties-on-u-s-soldiers-in-afghanistan-fit-right-into-putin-s-playbook

No, I don't expect him to be told every single little thing the US intelligence agencies are doing, every moment of every day. I do expect him to take action when told our troops are being targeted for money because that is kind of important, don't you think? I also expect that, if there are problems with another country, that he'd be told - and be told specifically why it's a lousy idea to cozy up to that country's leader - and to pull back from showing the world he's pals with a dictator.

And if he isn't told something like this, then I expect his staff to be fired for keeping something like that from him.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 06:53 am
@jespah,
It's funny that every source you linked refers back to the NY Times article... That's not the least bit eye opening to you?

Our troops are in a war zone... It doesn't get MORE dangerous because of a Russian bounty. It is already as dangerous as it gets.

Quote:
"American officials intercepted electronic data showing large financial transfers from a bank account controlled by Russia’s military intelligence agency to a Taliban-linked account, evidence that supported their conclusion that Russia covertly offered bounties for killing U.S. and coalition troops in Afghanistan, according to three officials familiar with the intelligence.

Though the United States has accused Russia of providing general support to the Taliban before, analysts concluded from other intelligence that the transfers were most likely part of a bounty program that detainees described during interrogations.

The evidence also concludes that the Taliban had a large toilet paper supply and Russia was paying them for it.

Show me the ledger at the Kremlin that states Russia is paying bounties...

Its not even as though I doubt it happening. It probably is, but so what? We should have had our troops out of Afghanistan 15 years ago... If you guys want to get your panties in a bunch over something, at least that would have some merit.

This though? Just another in a long stream of bullshit from the NYT that is based on nothing, sourced to no one.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 07:23 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
So, based on NOTHING more than a NY Times article, we should cut ties with Russia?

The story has been carried by other news outlets as well. It's based on information received from the intelligence community — you make it seem as if the NYT just used fictional sources and made the whole thing up.

Quote:
Imagine, just for a second, the the US Intelligence agencies sent everything they know to the President daily, do you honestly suspect that he would have time to even eat?

If he wasn't watching television all morning he might have time to listen to oral briefings, since we know he doesn't read.

Quote:
Is that even a possibility for you guys or are you so blind and full of TDS that you just don't care?

Your desperate attempts to excuse the TV-addicted huckster by making counter-accusations against anyone who dares to criticize him illustrates a point I made the other day. "Trump derangement syndrome" is actually an affliction suffered by his ardent supporters.

Quote:
It's funny that every source you linked refers back to the NY Times article...

Are you insinuating that the NYT didn't accurately report what their sources told them? — or that the sources are fictional? It's not unusual for other media outlets to quote and make use of important stories first reported by one particular newspaper or reporter. It would be unusual for all the sources who gave background information to the Times to give all the same information to other media outlets as well.

Quote:
That's not the least bit eye opening to you?

No more eye-opening than following the links to conservative opinions provided by Trump supporters and finding that they all quote the same sources as well.

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 08:21 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

This is the evidence:
Quote:
‘Officials Said’
This would be troublesome enough, but there are a number of reasons to be skeptical of the veracity of the claims. Firstly, the Times, Post and Journal’s reports are all based on fundamentally untrustworthy actors who refuse to go on the record. Here is a list of all the sources mentioned in the Times report:

“According to officials briefed on the matter”
“Officials said”
“Officials said”
“Officials said”
“Said Dmitry Peskov, the press secretary for President Vladimir V. Putin”
“Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban, denied”
“The officials spoke”
“Russian government officials have dismissed such claims”
“Gen. John W. Nicholson Jr., the commander of American forces in Afghanistan at the time, said”
“Officials were said to be confident”
“Some officials have theorized”
“Officials have also suggested”
“The officials briefed on the matter said”
“Western intelligence officials say”
“American intelligence officials say”
“American officials say”
“Officials briefed on its operations say”

This is just another, in a loooooong list of things the left leaning media is using to butcher Trump in the run up to the elections.

Do you have ANY evidence that this isn't just Russia meddling in the elections again? Is that even a possibility for you guys or are you so blind and full of TDS that you just don't care?

If this story involved former President Obama...my guess is you would have no trouble understanding it, McG.

In fact, my guess is it would be infuriating you.

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 08:36 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

The story has been carried by other news outlets as well. It's based on information received from the intelligence community — you make it seem as if the NYT just used fictional sources and made the whole thing up.

The stories all source back to the NY Times who uses anonymous sources... No actual evidence of anything.