Bye bye “Redskins”?

Mame

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2021 08:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know, but there must be some meaning I've missed.

I don't know why our hockey team is the Calgary Flames, for example - we're not beset by fires.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2021 09:03 pm
I thought a name should denote heroism or remarkable prowess - something inspiring.
Mame

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2021 09:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I get you - but there are team names that don't, like the "calgary flames", "vancouver canucks", "quebec nordiques", "pittsburgh penguins" ...no heroism or prowess in any of those ...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2021 09:51 pm
It's arbitrary. They can't all be winners because there aren't enough really good one to go around.
Mame

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2021 11:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe we all could do with a name change... instead of Mame, I'll be Nefertiti or Cleopatra or the Queen of Sheba ...somebody sexy and exciting with a life full of drama (which I don't have - hubby, dogs, garden, sigh - not complaining, just sayin')... kinda liking that, actually... which alternate name would you choose, edgarblythe?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2021 11:29 pm
@Mame,
I would be Crazy Horse Buddy Wylie.
For my American Native ancestry, Buddy Holly, and Philip Wylie.
Mame

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 08:15 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm liking that Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 08:43 am
@Mame,
I was always told I had Indian ancestry, but my genealogy spit test didn't reveal it. One of my nieces dug until she found documentation on my maternal grandfather's side. With that information and $20 you can buy a coffee at Starbucks.
Mame

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 10:02 am
@edgarblythe,
I wonder why it didn't show up in your saliva. Are you with Ancestry of 23andMe or who?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 11:11 am
@Mame,
Their website is Family Tree. They have me 98% European, 2% East Slavic. I figure it's in that 2% somehow.
snood

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 11:22 am
@edgarblythe,
So you and Liz Warren have something in common.😀
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 12:06 pm
@snood,
I figured out why DNA testing hasn't figured out who has Indian blood or not. Remember in Geography classes, that passageway between Canada/America where people & animals migrated across for hundreds of years from Europe? Then some earth quake or flooding happened and it was gone? American Indians weren't here originally because their ancestors were born in Europe or Scandinavian countries and migrated over.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Research by Kim TallBear, a professor of Native Studies at the University of Alberta, has established that there are no genetic markers of Native ancestry. In her book, Native American DNA: Tribal Belonging and the False Sense of Genetic Science, TallBear observes that tribal membership is a legal category, not a genetic one. She points out that it is impossible to disentangle individual genetic information from the constellations of family relations, reservation histories, tribal rules and government regulations in which genes are formed. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/opinion-warren-cherokee-dna_n_5bc63a69e4b0a8f17ee6ba9a

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw documents from the government establishing Indian for my grandfather. My sister sent copies of some of it but I can't find them right now. Anyway it's not enough to get excited over. I would put the Crazy Horse in my name if it were true I had 100% no Indian, out affinity for their struggle.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 12:35 pm
I don't particularly like Elizabeth Warren, but I have to side with her on this issue.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 12:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
In the comedy series What We Do In The Shadows, the psychic vampire, Colin Robinson, gets a DNA test which comes back 100% white.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 12:53 pm
@izzythepush,
Smile I wonder how accurate it was.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 12:55 pm
Incidentally, I was not vain enough to pay for a genetic test kit. I have a cousin into genealogy who bought it. We are currently on the outs because he wants Trump reinstated as pres.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 12:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
There was a long run up to it, I think the other vampires had theirs done with fairly normal results.

I don’t know if you’ve seen it, it’s a comedy about a group of vampires living in a New York suburb, it’s very good.

I think season 3 is due out in September.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 01:15 pm
@izzythepush,
I was unaware of it before this morning.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 01:34 pm
Few years back, my sister and I got back a report from NatGeo DNA sequencing that indicated that we had about 35% Ashkenazi Jewish roots. Prior to that, we had always assumed we were of total Italian decent. My mother's mother and father both came over from Italy...and my father came to America from Italy a an infant.

When we got the news, we were elated. "I always knew we were special," came out of both our mouths. Our new heritage was treated as a wonderous reveal.

For about a week.

Then came the news from NatGeo that a mistake had been made...and the report was fouled up with the report from someone else.

Our roots were totally from Italy...arriving from a passage that went through Lebanon ages ago.

Oh, well. Nice to know that we were proud of our Jewish heritage even if it was just a mistake.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2021 01:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Maybe you're related to Danny Thomas, a Lebanese.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.69 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:20:01