picture file printing question.

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 01:35 pm
If I edit a digital picture, what is the best format to save it?

If I change the picture, will I lose any details on the picture when it get printed out?

That is something that I am concerned about, so lots of time, I am reluctant to edit my pictures before I print them out from the stores.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 591 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Derevon

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 06:04 pm
Whether or not you're going to lose detail depends on what file format you use. Basically there are two different types of compression used.

One is lossless compression, which preserves the image 100% intact. Examples of formats that use this type is GIF, PNG, BMP etc. If you save in any of these formats, you can be certain that the image quality isn't degraded.

As for lossy compression, various techniques are used to remove certain charasteristics from images that the eyes are insensitive to in order to save file space. The formats that use this technique usually allow different quality settings which can be used to achieve the desired file size/quality ratio. JPEG (JPG) is by far the most common image format for these types of images.

As for your concern, it's perfectly safe to open up a JPG-image in a program, edit it and save it in for example your photoedit program's own format. For example, Photoshop has the psd-format, which is lossless and ideal to use for everything but the final edited image. Or you can save it in BMP, PNG, it doesn't really matter. When saving an image as JPEG, be sure that only the final version of the image is saved in this format and there won't be a problem.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:48 pm
After I edit the pictures, I would like to go to those stores that fancy printing machines to print out the picture.

so my main question is which format should i save after editting?

tiff, bmp, jpg?
0 Replies