Massachusetts makes it to second base!

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 10:00 am
Massachusetts enters "Phase 2" today. We are now allowed to sit down inside a restaurant (with distancing requirements). Our hospitalization rate is going down and our positive test rate is going down.

I think my state government is doing a pretty good job.

View best answer, chosen by maxdancona
maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 10:21 am
In Waltham (close to my town) they closed portion of the street off to traffic so that the restaurants can set up tables outside. It is nice to be able to go out again.
0 Replies

George
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 10:54 am
Had Father's Day dinner at a local restaurant al fresco yesterday.
We've made reservations for indoor dining next weekend.

It's like a special treat!

Gotta say I'm pretty happy with how Charlie Baker's handling things.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:22 am
@George,
He is the only Republican I respect right now.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:29 am

so far, so good.

but i'm worried that people will start letting their guard down now...
maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:53 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

so far, so good.

but i'm worried that people will start letting their guard down now...

The State government has earned credibility because they are acting in a clear, balanced and rational way. I think that helps them with public messaging going forward.

If Governor Baker sees hospitalizations go up, and needs to back things off, I think we will be OK. Most of us will support him if we need to step back and start locking down again.

Good government has a wide range of levers to pull to meet the evolving public health needs.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 01:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The State government has earned credibility...

Which is all fine and dandy... while it lasts. Remember maximillius, it comes down to the people. The people!

NYC has entered Phase 2 as well.

It can end in the blink of an eye. Considering the numbers of people (quite a few younger generation fools) dancing around maskless and just inches from others outside of bars, it could turn faster than a carousel on high speed! And the next thing you know, back to total lockdown.

I'll be playing it safe until Phase 3.

Just one person can zap you back to square one l

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:42 pm

remember...

https://i.imgur.com/b5oXHWt.jpg
Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:48 pm
@Region Philbis,
How is this gonna work on the baseball field when having to tag a player out?

And what if the ball is handled by an infected hand?

(creating things as I wait for a drastically reduced season)
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 03:07 pm
@Sturgis,

they won't have to worry about it until 2021...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 06:53 pm
@Sturgis,
There has to be a happy medium here. Asking people to stay in house arrest until next year isn't reasonable, especially when the most important numbers are going down in Massachusetts.

I am happy to follow the state guidelines. That means that I am meeting with a small group of friends next week, and I am supporting local restaurants. If the number of hospitalizations spikes up, I will be happy to adjust at that time.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 06:29 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

How is this gonna work on the baseball field when having to tag a player out?

And what if the ball is handled by an infected hand?

(creating things as I wait for a drastically reduced season)

This is not in phase 2 - so no worries. They can practice but for any contact sport or one in which you cannot socially distance - like tagging a player out - you can only practice and not scrimmage or play a game.

Phase 3 allows for tagging a player which is planned if this continues this way I think after the fourth week. My daughter's first game is scheduled July 18th.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 11:04 am
@Linkat,
If all goes well, we will be getting to third base in a few weeks.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 04:54 am
on FB, littlek wrote:
Massachusetts was one of the hardest hit states during the pandemic, but it has bent the curve of corona virus infections.
We still have infections, we still got the post Memorial Day spike, but we are back where we were in late March. We have
daily case loads now around 200. At our peak, we were nearly 2000. The numbers of deaths attributed to the disease is also
down to levels last seen in April. Now it is 1-2 dozen whereas at the peak it was about 250.

I feel like most other parts of the country didn't start feeling the anxiety of up-ticking virus counts until more recently. Take
some advice from a post peak state: wear your damned masks! Even outside. And stay 6 feet apart from anyone you don't
live with. Stay as close to home as possible when you do venture out. Have food delivered. Do what ever you can. I feel like
we can all finally take a collective deep breathe here in MA, albeit mask-covered.

This isn't over, and I fear that it is just really beginning for some areas.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 05:04 am

only a small percentage of Bahstin protesters tested positive...

https://i.imgur.com/EmFe4Xj.jpg

(from today's globe)

nacredambition

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 05:34 am
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 08:44 am
Since Massachusetts doesn't seem to be much in the national news, I assume you guys are doing pretty well. I just hope that you don't make the mistake most other states seem to have made, opening up too early and causing a coronavirus spike.

It's almost literally true to say that Florida, where I am, has a larger number of new cases every day than the previous day. I ended up in the hospital for a week in mid-February with influenza A and pneumonia, and have almost not been out of the house since, because I really, really don't want to get the virus. It's very boring and depressing. I'm almost living on YouTube, but I simply refuse to go out until there is either a vaccine or a significant medical intervention. My wife is an x-ray tech and sees many sick people every day, so she will probably bring it home to me sooner or later, despite all precautions.
Linkat

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 10:40 am
@Region Philbis,
That seems to make sense as the overall infection rate is about that.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 03:45 pm

Mass. health officials announce no new coronavirus-related deaths for first time in months
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2020 10:34 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Since Massachusetts doesn't seem to be much in the national news, I assume you guys are doing pretty well. I just hope that you don't make the mistake most other states seem to have made, opening up too early and causing a coronavirus spike.

It's almost literally true to say that Florida, where I am, has a larger number of new cases every day than the previous day. I ended up in the hospital for a week in mid-February with influenza A and pneumonia, and have almost not been out of the house since, because I really, really don't want to get the virus. It's very boring and depressing. I'm almost living on YouTube, but I simply refuse to go out until there is either a vaccine or a significant medical intervention. My wife is an x-ray tech and sees many sick people every day, so she will probably bring it home to me sooner or later, despite all precautions.

We are listening to the scientists and to the public health officials. I think don't think opening up Massachusetts in the way they are doing it is a risk. They are monitoring the virus and will be able to step back if they see an uptick.

Being too relaxed is one way to act irrationally. Being too strict is just as irrational.

The rational way forward is to follow the science and make sound policy decisions based on data.

I believe the government of Massachusetts is doing a good job.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Massachusetts makes it to second base!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:30:33