Three meanings of the word "lynch".

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 05:48 pm
The word "lynch" or "lynching" seems to be used in three distinct ways.

1. A historical practice where African-Americans were killed by mobs of White people. These murders served the purpose of enforcing racial segregation and White supremacy, mainly (but not exclusively) in the American South.

2. A brutal extra-judicial killing by hanging, burning or battering generally committed against a racial minority or unpopular ethnic group.

3. (Usually by conservatives). Public criticism of a White person, or a public legal process taken against a White person.

Although I understand where this is coming from; for a White person to face public criticism can feel like they are being hanged or burned alive. This comparison seems a little exaggerated-- or dare I say a bit distasteful.

Comparing brutal racist killings of Black people to the embarrassment felt by White people seems to be crossing a line of human decency.

If you are doing this, you might want to think twice.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,185 • Replies: 51

roger

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 05:50 pm
@maxdancona,
#3 is about equivalent to comparing someone to Hitler.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 06:52 pm
maxdancona wrote:
3. (Usually by conservatives). Public criticism of a White person,

Your description is not even remotely fair or accurate. Ruining someone's life and destroying their career is hardly mere "public criticism".

maxdancona wrote:
Comparing brutal racist killings of Black people to the embarrassment felt by White people seems to be crossing a line of human decency.

Your reference to "someone having their life ruined and career destroyed" as being "a matter of embarrassment" crosses a line of human decency.

maxdancona wrote:
If you are doing this, you might want to think twice.

Progressives never want to be criticized for their atrocities.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 09:37 pm
@oralloy,
When a White person has his "career destroyed".... that's not a lynching. It is a Holocaust.
oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 09:55 pm
@maxdancona,
Your flippant attitude towards atrocities is pretty shameful.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 10:30 pm
@oralloy,
Is it as shameful as wanting to piss on the dead bodies of school children?
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 08:08 pm
@RABEL222,
There is no shame in opposing progressives when they try to use school shootings as an opportunity to violate people's civil liberties for no reason.
neptuneblue

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 08:26 pm
@oralloy,
That may be true.

However your comment crossed over into something extraordinarily horrific. I wish you'd walk that back.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 08:55 pm
@neptuneblue,
I did walk it back when you politely asked me.

And then I walked back my walkback when you savaged me with horrible name-calling. I didn't see why I should respect the sensibilities of someone who was being so obnoxious to me.

Lately the moderators seem to have taken an exception to such talk. So if I need to make fun of progressive virtue signaling again, I'll have to do something else anyway.

But you aren't being so obnoxious to me these days, so I'm inclined to respect your sensibilities again even without the moderators.

Frankly I don't see why either you or the moderators object. It seems pretty harmless to me. But whatever. I stopped saying it quite some time ago.
neptuneblue

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 09:09 pm
@oralloy,
Probably because it seems you don't/won't/can't take shooting victims seriously. I was in the Chardon Court House the day TJ Lane decided to open fire. The whole city (term used loosely) shut down for hours. My mother taught in that school. It is personal.

It wasn't more than a week later, our high school had a threat of an active shooter. The school my kid goes to. You have NO idea of what panic is until you have to deal with it.

But you're so calm, cavalier, controlled.

It really isn't like that at all.

You want to say you have superior intellect. That's fine, have at it. But don't think for one second anyone will buy you have compassion.

oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 09:41 pm
@neptuneblue,
I don't follow. What are you saying is because I don't take them seriously??
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 02:44 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
When a White person has his "career destroyed".... that's not a lynching. It is a Holocaust.

Don't you belittle the plight of white folks. When a white person is criticized by a black err... person?, it's like the wheels of the universe are turned upside down, and it can only mean that the end of days is near. That's how bad it is.
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 02:52 am
@Olivier5,
Your cavalier mocking of atrocities is despicable.

But you do demonstrate why the three S's are the way to go if someone has to defend themselves to save their life.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 05:13 am
@oralloy,
****, shower and shave?
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 06:00 am
@Olivier5,
Shoot, Shovel, Shutup.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 10:59 am
@oralloy,
Oh oh, someone didn't like my idea about what you could do with your shovel...
Olivier5

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 12:09 pm
@Olivier5,
That’s what I find so alluring and exotic in Americans: they can threaten to kill you, and that’s A-okay in their book, but don’t you ever tell them what they can do with their shovel.... no no no...
oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 02:00 pm
@Olivier5,
You misunderstand. I was not threatening you. My post was referring to generic cases of self defense in the general public.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 01:35 am
Having your messages removed can be frustrating. I recently had messages removed for suggesting that law enforcement should leave peaceful protesters alone and focus on people who are looting and burning. I have no idea what could possibly be objectionable about such posts.

But let's get back on topic. Why do you keep referring to self defense as murder? People have the right to protect themselves. What is wrong with self defense?

What if someone was trying to harm you? Wouldn't you want to protect yourself so that you would not be harmed?
Olivier5

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 03:24 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Why do you keep referring to self defense as murder?

Because you keep referring to murder as self defense.

1. Forums
  2. » Three meanings of the word "lynch".
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:35:13