Three meanings of the word "lynch".

oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 03:34 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
you keep referring to murder as self defense.

How is it murder to protect yourself from someone who is trying to harm you?
Olivier5

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 03:46 am
@oralloy,
Because you place the bar way too low in terms of what you interpret as a threat. A black man saying "you're not gona like what I do next" is for you a threat that deserves calling the cops. A black boy walking quietly at night is enough of a threat for you that he deserves to be jumped on and killed.

In my part of the world, being scared by your own shadow doesn't entitle you to kill people.
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 03:55 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Because you place the bar way too low in terms of what you interpret as a threat. Saying "you're not gona like what I do next" is for you a threat that deserves calling the cops.

Keep in mind that he followed it up by trying to lure her pet away from her.

I'd point a gun at a stranger who tried that with one of my cats. Although I don't think I would actually fire if he didn't try anything further.

Olivier5 wrote:
A black boy walking quietly at night is enough of a threat for you that he deserves to be jumped on and killed.

Are you referring to Trayvon? Because if so, that isn't even remotely accurate.

Trayvon jumped on Mr. Zimmerman, not the other way around.

Trayvon was bashing Mr. Zimmerman's head against a concrete sidewalk when Mr. Zimmerman fired his gun.

Olivier5 wrote:
In my part of the world, being scared by your own shadow doesn't entitle you to kill people.

Neither of those situations can be reasonably characterized as being scared by your own shadow.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 05:30 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I'd point a gun at a stranger who tried that with one of my cats.

Thanks for making my point. Petting your cats is enough for you to adopt a position of """""""self-defense"""""" and point a gun at someone, and then if that someone is black, you might shoot or not, depending on whether he farts or something...

I guess it's a different culture. We wouldn't do that over here.
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 05:34 am
@Olivier5,
Not petting my cats.

Saying that I'm not going to like what he's about to do and then trying to lure my cats away.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 05:47 am
@oralloy,
Well, you should be okay here, as long as you don't put "rear end" and "shovel" in the same sentence.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 06:37 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I'd point a gun at a stranger who tried that with one of my cats. Although I don't think I would actually fire if he didn't try anything further.

This is totally irresponsible and dangerous. Weapons should not be used as an intimidation factor. You pull a gun, you use it. That's what it's there for, not for some trivialized situation that can be de-escalated in other ways.

oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 01:25 pm
@neptuneblue,
I understand the doctrine that you are advocating. But I don't see any other response that would be appropriate to deal with the severity of the threat.
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 10:34 pm
@oralloy,
I do.

Put you animal on a leash that you're holding, as per the law, and walk away.
oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 10:48 pm
@neptuneblue,
That does not do anything to protect against someone who is threatening to harm me or my cats.

Also, the law does not require me to keep my cats on a leash.
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 10:55 pm
@oralloy,
Are you talking about public land where there are rules and regulations to follow, or private land, where your animal trespasses onto another's private property?
oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:02 pm
@neptuneblue,
It doesn't matter. Anyone who makes a credible threat to harm one of my cats will be looking down the barrel of a gun very quickly.

And if they know what's good for them they will cease all hostility and quickly obey all commands that I give them.
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:20 pm
@oralloy,
That's a very...peculiar stance to take, especially when you're wrong. It will wind up with a dead cat, a dead owner and a very smart, legal defense team.

You sure you want to die on this hill?
oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:25 pm
@neptuneblue,
My cat will survive. I will protect it.

I won't need any defense team. Remember the three S's.
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:29 pm
@oralloy,
You talk a big talk.

All fun and games until shots ring out.

Again, isn't there a better way to handing such events, such as de-escalation and walking away?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:31 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

My cat will survive. I will protect it.

I won't need any defense team. Remember the three S's.

As long as you get to the last S.
oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:40 pm
@maxdancona,
All we can do is do our best to get the bad guys before the bad guys can get us.

If we fail to protect ourselves then the bad guys win.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:42 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
You talk a big talk.

I'm not going to let anyone harm my cats.

If you can't understand that, then I guess you can't understand that.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 12:40 am
Okay so
- do worship death
- do apologise for murderers as long as they are white and their victim is black BUT
- don't tell them white puritans where they can put their shovel, AND
- don't hurt their cats. Just don't.
Just trying to keep track of the does and don'ts in America nowadays...
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 12:55 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
- do apologise for murderers as long as they are white and their victim is black

Good grief already!

Self defense is NOT murder.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 06:31:46