Mouse Problems

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 03:56 am
I have a laptop, a Toshiba of the Satellite 3000 range with Pentium III three USB ports and one Accupoint II mouse system with a tiny little joystick right in the middle of the keyboard.

Oh, when I got used to this mouse it was great. There were very few times that it'd get in the way and it was so much better than using those touchpads. It felt just like using a miniature trackball.

Recently, though, it has gotten into the habit of extreme downward moving.

Just so much as putting my finger on it, propels the mouse pointer downwards into the nether regions of the screen, never to come back up again no matter how much you push the joystick upwards. Sometimes even the act of typing somehow makes the mouse pointer move downwards.

This is a problem, because it prevents me from typing properly. Every now and then, I imght accidentally double-tap the joystick causing it to select the Microsoft toolbar thingie at the bottom, which inevitably unselects the Microsoft Word Program and thus whatever I type doesn't appear in the Word Program.

I've tried resetting it three times now and everytime the damned thing does the same thing.

I'm now using an external mouse, but every now and then I accidentally touch the accupoint and the mouse pointer whizzes down to the bottom of the screen.

It's getting annoying.

Is there someway of disabling the mouse pointer or do you have any ideas of what may be causing the problem and how I should fix it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,065 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Derevon

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 04:58 am
I am not sure whether this is going to work, but you could try disabling the drivers for the "joystick". Go to: "Start menu -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Mice and other pointing devices" and see if you can find an entry for the "joystick", right-click it and select "disable".
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:52 am
I've tried looking there and can't find any trace of "Accupoint II" anywhere in that section and Toshiba's Manual and the Toshiba website itself aren't very helpful.

What with the laptop being over three years old, the warranty has run out on it too.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 10:59 am
Hmm. Perhaps it can be disabled in the BIOS-settings?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 11:39 am
BIOS settings?

Well, maybe disabling the mouse is a bit drastic, because I quite like the accupoint II mouse.

Does anyone have any idea of how to fix it? Just touching it makes it go down. Using the mouse, I can move the mouse pointer left and right (and always down) but never up.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 05:55 pm
I have no idea about how to fix the Accupoint, but if you're using an external mouse anyway, then it's just annoying to have it activated. Anyhow, when you boot up the computer, it usually says something like "Press F2 for settings" or similar. Do that, or whatever key it asks you to press, and see if you can find any settings about the Accupoint device. If you're lucky, it might be possible to disable it there, and you can stick to the external mouse. I know how annoying those minijoysticks can be when they move around the mouse pointer for no apparent reason. It happened to me on a laptop once as well.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 06:26 pm
You should have a folder that is Toshiba Utilities. You should have a program in there called Hardware Settings (or the like)

Go into this and you should see pointing devices. This most likely has simultaneous mouse and intellipoint and automatic selection. Make your choice here.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:47 am
Something else I've noticed with my problem is that pressing any keys near or around the little eraserhead-like mouse thingy makes the mouse pointer go down.

The keys, F, G, H, R, T, Y, U, V, B, N and the Space bar all affect it somehow.

I'll try what you guys suggested and see how it goes.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:02 am
Well, I eventually disabled the accupoint mouse "joystick" and had a day of perfect mouse operation using a USB-connected optical mouse.

Now the mouse pointer has taken on a life of its own. It speeds towards the edge of the screens on its own accord every now and then. Sometimes it whizzes up and down and I have to fight against it with my optical mouse.

Sometimes, it whizzes off to the left, other times to the right. Even after disconnecting the mouse, the mouse pointer still moves erratically.

Please, someone help. I'm at my wits end now!
0 Replies