Define and discuss Socrates's 'ethical intellectualism.' ?

Mon 1 Jun, 2020 12:44 am
Define and discuss Socrates's 'ethical intellectualism. Do you believe that all people that do evil acts, do them out of ignorance and think what they are doing is good?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,261 • Replies: 16
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Mon 1 Jun, 2020 06:04 am
@Queen101,
What do you think?

Look up scienter in the law for one perspective
0 Replies

mark noble

Mon 1 Jun, 2020 11:05 am
@Queen101,
Define 'Evil'?

Have A Lovely Day
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Tue 2 Jun, 2020 03:08 pm
@Queen101,
I don't believe in "evil" just ignorance, confusion, emotional imbalance...
Construction and destruction are algorithms at work in Cosmos that provide a sense of value in the experience of Reality.
In more simple terms there is a distinction between what the brain wants and needs to do and the awareness of what the "I" is doing in the world. Moreover, even the so-called intention of doing "evil" is a self-directed storytelling construct where the need for venting is justified with the primitive cultural concept artifact of "evilness" which is subconsciously correlated with empowerment and strength.
mark noble

Thu 4 Jun, 2020 05:52 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Well said, Fil.
I agree - It is 'label' applied to 'that' which is deemed 'negative' by value of 'normal' (conditioned) moral measurement.

Have a Lovely Day
Leadfoot

Fri 5 Jun, 2020 05:08 am
@Queen101,
Yeah, more often than not anyway.
0 Replies

Basaet

Sun 7 Jun, 2020 07:55 am
@mark noble,
Is power over others evil?To be self-serving, rather than for the greater community?To gain power from the misery of others?I think that’s what Socrates was asking
mark noble

Mon 8 Jun, 2020 09:09 am
@Basaet,
'Is 'power' over 'others' evil?' First you must define 'power' & 'evil...?

'To be self-serving'? Everything is Self-serving

'Greater good of community...Why?' Because it serves your (self-serving) interests.

'To gain 'power' from others' misery? If you want to feed off negative energy, so be it. You reap what you sow.

What Socrates, Plato & aristotle did for the general public was to devise simplistic methods, based on ontological (Psych & philo) expertise, of Control and Conditioning - In order that the 'ruling' class revolved around a societal-platform of Willing (conditioned), subservient drones.

Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 8 Jun, 2020 09:16 am
Quote:
'Is 'power' over 'others' evil?' First you must define 'power' & 'evil...?

'Greater good of community...Why?' Because it serves your (self-serving) interests.

'To gain 'power' from others' misery? If you want to feed off negative energy, so be it. You reap what you sow.

What Socrates, Plato & aristotle did for the general public was to devise simplistic methods, based on ontological (Psych & philo) expertise, of Control and Conditioning - In order that the 'ruling' class revolved around a societal-platform of Willing (conditioned), subservient drones.

Have a Lovely Day

Including the Lovely Day, I’ll give that a score of two out of six.
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 9 Jun, 2020 01:20 am
@Leadfoot,
Well he is not so far off but matters like these are never openly debated because society just doesn't allow it...expected.
What if I say to you that "Evil" is a necessary condition to keep the world going, to keep the "Bios" busy and alert, to keep consciousness engaged eh? How would you answer with some degree of intellectual honesty?
Am I endorsing evil? NO! But I think that I do understand the Moral landscape dance better now that I am older...somethings are necessary even if we abhorred them! Just like death. I stopped correction Nature long ago. Now I try to understand as best a my litle brain can its complexity.
Leadfoot

Tue 9 Jun, 2020 04:22 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Well he is not so far off but matters like these are never openly debated because society just doesn't allow it...expected.
It’s not so much that I disagree with him, just that I think most of it was derivative of the good points, especially this one:

And you're right, society is so full of **** for not allowing such debate. In this case, I guess it is accepted in polite society that 'self serving' is 'bad/evil'. Why do we have such a hard time accepting our own egocentricity?

Quote:
What if I say to you that "Evil" is a necessary condition to keep the world going, to keep the "Bios" busy and alert, to keep consciousness engaged eh? How would you answer with some degree of intellectual honesty?
Oh I think it is necessary all right, but not for 'busy work'. Without choices, life would be meaningless. And I haven’t exhausted the possibilities of my preferred choice yet. What do you choose? Is that honest enough?

Quote:
Am I endorsing evil? NO! But I think that I do understand the Moral landscape dance better now that I am older...somethings are necessary even if we abhorred them! Just like death.
I’m glad to see you add death to the things that are allowed to be discussed. I’m not in a hurry to get there, but I find the subject intriguing.
mark noble

Thu 13 Aug, 2020 07:05 am
@Leadfoot,
Just, if you don't mind - Wish to focus, momentarily, on that One line of yours.
'Why do we have such a hard time accepting our own egocentricity?'

Because 'Our' intent is to 'Dissolve' 'Our' egocentricity - Not 'Allow' it to Dominate 'Our' true, Free, Self/selves.
EGO is the Greatest enemy of Source-Consciousness-alignment

ALLOW ME, Please - To Align you to an EGO-FREE vibration - That I believe you will (Sourceially - New word) Connect with (Due to your Aeronautic disposition toward self-discovery).

It'll take less than 5 minutes.
And 'Source-alignment' is guaranteed.

Your shout.

Mark...
Albuquerque

Thu 13 Aug, 2020 08:24 am
@mark noble,
Without an EGO you don't have a voice not even a perspective to want to have one...and yet, with the EGO all your voice turns into guilt if you are sufficiently aware of your presence in the world.
As someone said once even silence is a political statement!

Have some wonderful things but don't summon them all at once or you will have none to appreciate!
mark noble

Thu 13 Aug, 2020 08:41 am
@Albuquerque,
I agree.
Life enters this 'material' plane, void of Egoistic traits - Then, it 'acclimatises' to the 'functional' format - And devolves into subservience to its environmental persuasives.

Those 'Persuasives' are Designed to prevent 'Source-inclusives' - Along the way, EGO reinforces 'Attachments/tethers' to the 'perceived' physical illusion.

Ergo - The sub-sourceial construct, Further maintains 'Ego-based', illusory connections to/with a perceived physical plane.

Hence - Here & Now.

Great journey, nonetheless.
Mark..
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 01:24 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
Just, if you don't mind - Wish to focus, momentarily, on that One line of yours.
'Why do we have such a hard time accepting our own egocentricity?'

Because 'Our' intent is to 'Dissolve' 'Our' egocentricity - Not 'Allow' it to Dominate 'Our' true, Free, Self/selves.
EGO is the Greatest enemy of Source-Consciousness-alignment

I am in complete agreement that we should not allow ego to dominate. But neither should we deny having one. Without one I think we lack a reference point from where we are to where we want to go. And when I see my ego from altitude it is always gives me a good laugh at how far I have to go.

Some part of ego, the part I think we are not asked To surrender, is 'identity'. The idea that we are all 'one' is much in fashion these days but that would seem to defeat the purpose of our creation, that being the creator's desire for variety. Else If 'One' were enough, why would he/she/it have bothered?

The internet is even more abominable than ever this year in the valley so my opportunities to post are limited these days.
mark noble

Mon 17 Aug, 2020 07:52 am
@Leadfoot,
I, also, agree.
It's not about vanquishing Ego - It's about recognising it's existence, it's inherent dominance and One's own ability to suppress it.
And 'variety' is, indeed, the 'Source' intent.

One doesn't fully appreciate the 'Rollercoaster' Ride - Until One has Riden it - In every seat, every weather and in every perspective.

Have a lovely day
Mark
0 Replies

mark noble

Mon 17 Aug, 2020 09:28 am
@Leadfoot,
The best method of Ego-subjugation is to Bind with contrary inputs.

Here's One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhNCTH8pDs

75 million people, potentially 'Unbound'.

Remember Your first EVER Flight, Lead?
Enjoy
Mark
0 Replies