0

Define and discuss Socrates's 'ethical intellectualism.' ?

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 12:44 am
Define and discuss Socrates's 'ethical intellectualism. Do you believe that all people that do evil acts, do them out of ignorance and think what they are doing is good?

2  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 06:04 am
@Queen101,
What do you think?

Look up scienter in the law for one perspective

mark noble

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 11:05 am
@Queen101,
Define 'Evil'?

Have A Lovely Day

Fil Albuquerque

1  
Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 03:08 pm
@Queen101,
I don't believe in "evil" just ignorance, confusion, emotional imbalance...
Construction and destruction are algorithms at work in Cosmos that provide a sense of value in the experience of Reality.
In more simple terms there is a distinction between what the brain wants and needs to do and the awareness of what the "I" is doing in the world. Moreover, even the so-called intention of doing "evil" is a self-directed storytelling construct where the need for venting is justified with the primitive cultural concept artifact of "evilness" which is subconsciously correlated with empowerment and strength.
mark noble

1  
Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 05:52 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Well said, Fil.
I agree - It is 'label' applied to 'that' which is deemed 'negative' by value of 'normal' (conditioned) moral measurement.

Have a Lovely Day
Leadfoot

1  
Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 05:08 am
@Queen101,
Yeah, more often than not anyway.

Basaet

0  
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 07:55 am
@mark noble,
Is power over others evil?To be self-serving, rather than for the greater community?To gain power from the misery of others?I think that’s what Socrates was asking
mark noble

1  
Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2020 09:09 am
@Basaet,
'Is 'power' over 'others' evil?' First you must define 'power' & 'evil...?

'To be self-serving'? Everything is Self-serving

'Greater good of community...Why?' Because it serves your (self-serving) interests.

'To gain 'power' from others' misery? If you want to feed off negative energy, so be it. You reap what you sow.

What Socrates, Plato & aristotle did for the general public was to devise simplistic methods, based on ontological (Psych & philo) expertise, of Control and Conditioning - In order that the 'ruling' class revolved around a societal-platform of Willing (conditioned), subservient drones.

Have a Lovely Day

Leadfoot

1  
Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2020 09:16 am

Have a Lovely Day

Including the Lovely Day, I’ll give that a score of two out of six.
Fil Albuquerque

1  
Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 01:20 am
@Leadfoot,
Well he is not so far off but matters like these are never openly debated because society just doesn't allow it...expected.
What if I say to you that "Evil" is a necessary condition to keep the world going, to keep the "Bios" busy and alert, to keep consciousness engaged eh? How would you answer with some degree of intellectual honesty?
Am I endorsing evil? NO! But I think that I do understand the Moral landscape dance better now that I am older...somethings are necessary even if we abhorred them! Just like death. I stopped correction Nature long ago. Now I try to understand as best a my litle brain can its complexity.
Leadfoot

1  
Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 04:22 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
It’s not so much that I disagree with him, just that I think most of it was derivative of the good points, especially this one:

And you're right, society is so full of **** for not allowing such debate. In this case, I guess it is accepted in polite society that 'self serving' is 'bad/evil'. Why do we have such a hard time accepting our own egocentricity?

Oh I think it is necessary all right, but not for 'busy work'. Without choices, life would be meaningless. And I haven’t exhausted the possibilities of my preferred choice yet. What do you choose? Is that honest enough?

Am I endorsing evil? NO! But I think that I do understand the Moral landscape dance better now that I am older...somethings are necessary even if we abhorred them! Just like death.
I’m glad to see you add death to the things that are allowed to be discussed. I’m not in a hurry to get there, but I find the subject intriguing.