Have We Finally Found Evidence For A Parallel Universe?

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 06:54 am
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/05/22/ask-ethan-have-we-finally-found-evidence-for-a-parallel-universe/#6100eb142fcf
Will we find the missing socks there? Are they nuts there also?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 770 • Replies: 14
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 08:06 pm
Probably not. That's only one possible interpretation of the strange findings.

Whatever it is though, it'll be interesting when they figure out what it is.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 06:39 am
How I hate clickbait ****. The last sentence of the article reads:

Quote:
“ For now, based on the scientific evidence we have, parallel Universes will have to remain a science fiction dream.”
oralloy

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 12:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
Well, a parallel universe where time runs backwards (from our perspective) is in fact one possible explanation for the very strange phenomena that they have discovered. It's just not the only possible explanation, and at the moment there is no reason to favor it over any other explanation.

If the explanation turns out to be something else, it is likely to be just as interesting.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 01:19 pm
@oralloy,
What I mean is, don’t suggest that we’ve found evidence in the title and then end the article with - 'Nah, just kid'n', we have no clue'.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 03:11 pm
Well, parallel worlds have a little more scientific credibility than science fiction drama. There are basically two ways you might get them, the simplest being what's called The Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 03:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
We have found evidence of something. And whatever it is that we've found, it's extraordinary.

We just don't know what it is that we're looking at yet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 04:19 pm
I'm just a bystander, hoping for something to develop that we can hang our hats on.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 04:39 pm

Didn’t anyone read all the way to this last paragraph? Or at least past the clickbait headline?
Quote:
There's a remarkable story here that's all about good science. An experiment (ANITA) saw something unexpected, and published their results. A much better experiment (IceCube) followed it up, and ruled out their leading interpretation. It strongly suggested something is amiss with the first experiment, and more science will help us uncover what's truly occurring. For now, based on the scientific evidence we have, parallel Universes will have to remain a science fiction dream.

The 'good science' they are talking about is that it ruled out parallel universes (as far as this experiment goes), not supported them.

AirHorn

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 07:21 pm
Does that mean there could be a parallel universe with different physics where the earth is flat and the sun goes around earth? Smile
roger

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 09:01 pm
@AirHorn,
If the sun goes around a flat earth, where does it go after sunset?
oralloy

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 09:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Didn’t anyone read all the way to this last paragraph? Or at least past the clickbait headline?

I didn't read the article at all until now. My familiarity with the subject came from reading other articles about the subject before I came upon this thread.

I don't think everyone agrees that there was an error in the earlier experiment. Although that is a possibility that should be pursued.
oralloy

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 09:04 pm
@AirHorn,
AirHorn wrote:
Does that mean there could be a parallel universe with different physics

Yes.

AirHorn wrote:
where the earth is flat and the sun goes around earth?

No.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 04:45 am
@oralloy,

It just amazes me that scientists can simultaneously embrace them and scoff at them. I wouldn’t rule out other universes/dimensions either.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 02:50 pm
@roger,
Quote:
If the sun goes around a flat earth, where does it go after sunset?

The Koran says it sets into a muddy pool.
Quote:
18:86. Until, when he reached the setting place of the sun, he found it setting in a spring of black muddy (or hot) water. And he found near it a people. We (Allah) said (by inspiration): "O Dhul-Qarnain! Either you punish them, or treat them with kindness."
0 Replies