Who makes money and who doesn't during crisis?

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 01:16 pm
Are you getting paid during the crisis? Are you paying all your bills or just some?

Rent and evictions are on pause for some, but who has to still pay rent?

Government is sending out payments, but if they are, does that mean everyone should pay all their bills with the money or let some wait while paying others?

Should government cover everyone's bills so that no one has to deal with any budget pressures whatsoever, or should people and businesses make sacrifices by forgiving some monthly payments or otherwise taking the pressure off government to cover all the costs of unemployed people?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,049 • Replies: 15
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 02:52 pm
They cut my pay by 20%. But that is OK for me (and I am spending significantly less anyway).

The most important thing the government should give Americans is certainty. Obviously the government can't pay everything, but they should pay some... especially if you want people to stick with social distancing.

The biggest failure of the Trump administration is that they are giving a completely unclear message. They say that we should listen to scientists, and listen to protesters... and no one knows what Trump is proposing as far as economic assistance.

There are a lot of plans that would be reasonable. The government is failing to give us any coherent plan.

livinglava

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 03:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The most important thing the government should give Americans is certainty.

The problem with certainty is that investors and corporations exploit it to keep up costs, because they know that consumers will eventually break down a pay what they have to to get something.

The challenge in a free market is having enough uncertainty to motivate sellers to lower prices in an effort to get sales, even though they would rather hold out for more.

Quote:
Obviously the government can't pay everything, but they should pay some... especially if you want people to stick with social distancing.

Government wouldn't need to pay any if supply and demand could just figure out something that works for both.

People aren't going to stick with social distancing if they think that not doing so will result in more government stimulus money.

Basically the mentality of strategic manipulation of government has become widespread, so whenever some social-economic strategist figures out a way to manipulate government, they put out the word somehow through social media using some new version of the enigma code and create little media events to trigger policy pressure responses.

Quote:
The biggest failure of the Trump administration is that they are giving a completely unclear message. They say that we should listen to scientists, and listen to protesters... and no one knows what Trump is proposing as far as economic assistance.

That is good, because it stimulates people to spend as carefully as possible instead of spending liberally because they expect a steady stream of payments, like what Sanders and other Dems have proposed.

Dems hate deflation and they hate saving. They want to create economic certainty so people go on spending like there's no tomorrow.

Quote:
There are a lot of plans that would be reasonable. The government is failing to give us any coherent plan.

You have to create your own security by saving as much as possible. The future is uncertain so be cautious with your spending.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 04:14 pm
@livinglava,
You are being ridiculous again Lava.

1. It is competition that keeps prices low in a free market.

2. Your claim that uncertainty prevents inflation is silly. In reality inflation happens more in times of uncertainty.

3. ... as is your claim that the way to keep people home is to deprive them of the money they need to live on when they are not working.

You are just pulling things out of your ass that don't make any sense.

livinglava

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 04:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You are being ridiculous again Lava.

Just leave this part out of your post and it would be a lot more pleasant to respond to you respectfully.

Quote:

In some cases, but there are no hard and fast rules to economic behavior.

There are often price-leaders and price-followers, so if a seller has the ability to keep a price high or even inflate it through time, thinking that wages will go up or they will be able to get a higher price for some other reason, they might not lower their price.

If sellers expected people to be spending less indefinitely, they would have to think about lowering prices to stay in business, rather than holding out for later sales at the same price or higher.

Quote:
2. Your claim that uncertainty prevents inflation is silly. In reality inflation happens more in times of uncertainty.

So much depends on specifics. People could pay higher prices out of fear that they might not have anything to buy later otherwise; but sellers could also work harder to sell more if they don't know how low prices/sales will go in the future.

Quote:
3. ... as is your claim that the way to keep people home is to deprive them of the money they need to live on when they are not working.

Did I say that? When?

Why would people have to stay home because they are making less money? It doesn't cost anything to go out.

Quote:
You are just pulling things out of your ass that don't make any sense.

You just insult things that don't fit with what you are politically biased in favor of believing.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 05:12 pm
You made this silly thread to insult "The Dems".

You are just making ridiculous claims with no logic, no sources, and no rational thought.

Your defense of "uncertainty" as an economic policy is laughable.
livinglava

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 01:51 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You made this silly thread to insult "The Dems".

You are just making ridiculous claims with no logic, no sources, and no rational thought.

Your defense of "uncertainty" as an economic policy is laughable.

Stop reacting against my political persuasions.

I have posted clear examples that you are free to discuss. Don't bring up 'logic' and 'source' and 'rational thought,' without posting something to discuss.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 03:15 pm
@livinglava,
I put "The Dems" in quotes because it was a quote... from you. It is you who brought up your political persuasions.

livinglava

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 04:59 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I put "The Dems" in quotes because it was a quote... from you. It is you who brought up your political persuasions.

Yes, it's a shorthand way of writing 'Democrats,' or 'Democratic party.'

You know I am critical of that party so why make an issue of it here?

Why can't you just discuss the issue of the thread? Do you have a problem discussing issues with people whose political views differ from your own?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:07 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Why can't you just discuss the issue of the thread?

Because you are being ridiculous. My first response was a response to your OP.

You responded by throwing out inane contradictions that don't even make sense. It appears to me that you aren't even trying to think this through. You want to be "critical of that party"... so you make the most ridiculous statements without making any effort to check them for basic logical consistency.

I have no problem discussing anything with anybody.... as long as they aren't being ridiculous. If you want to have a real discussion, then put some thought into it rather than just throwing up a partisan food fight.

livinglava

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:22 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Why can't you just discuss the issue of the thread?

Because you are being ridiculous. My first response was a response to your OP.

You responded by throwing out inane contradictions that don't even make sense. It appears to me that you aren't even trying to think this through. You want to be "critical of that party"... so you make the most ridiculous statements without making any effort to check them for basic logical consistency.

I have no problem discussing anything with anybody.... as long as they aren't being ridiculous. If you want to have a real discussion, then put some thought into it rather than just throwing up a partisan food fight.

I responded to your post and then you didn't want to discuss my responses further, so you started arguing about my use of the word, 'Dems.'

Here is my response again if you want to continue the discussion without arguing over political persuasions:
Quote:
Quote:

In some cases, but there are no hard and fast rules to economic behavior.

There are often price-leaders and price-followers, so if a seller has the ability to keep a price high or even inflate it through time, thinking that wages will go up or they will be able to get a higher price for some other reason, they might not lower their price.

If sellers expected people to be spending less indefinitely, they would have to think about lowering prices to stay in business, rather than holding out for later sales at the same price or higher.

Quote:

So much depends on specifics. People could pay higher prices out of fear that they might not have anything to buy later otherwise; but sellers could also work harder to sell more if they don't know how low prices/sales will go in the future.

Quote:

Did I say that? When?

Why would people have to stay home because they are making less money? It doesn't cost anything to go out.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:29 pm
@livinglava,
Your response is ridiculous. That is why I didn't respond.

Where did you get this nonsense. Did you make it up, or can you point to any source of any political persuasion that suggests an inflationary effect of "too much certainty".

It is nonsense. I think you are just making it up yourself.

livinglava

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Your response is ridiculous. That is why I didn't respond.

Where did you get this nonsense. Did you make it up, or can you point to any source of any political persuasion that suggests an inflationary effect of "too much certainty".

It is nonsense. I think you are just making it up yourself.

It's called discussion. It requires thinking and explaining what you think.

It's not just re-posting other things you've read in various forms.

Are you a bot, btw? Why do you just say moronic generic things like, "are you just making it up yourself?" Do you read and think at all or just constantly talk about deferring to sources?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:41 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:

I think you are forgetting to do one of these things. That might be the problem.
livinglava

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 05:54 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

I think you are forgetting to do one of these things. That might be the problem.

I think you have something against me that causes you to trash my threads with meaningless posts.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 04:27 pm
@livinglava,
My existence has improved - Didn't realise just how much until they called 'plandemic'.

I want lockdown and social-distancing forever.

And it's not about 'Money' (Control-paper) (seriously?).
He who is owned by paper - Paper Owns!

You are trying to analyse via your own perception of perceived analytical processes.

'They' (For Bobsals' sake) Give Not a rancid penguin about 'Money'.

Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies