Rove was the source of the Plame leak... so it appears

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:41 am
Thomas writes
Quote:
interpret this as Mr. Bush raising the threshold at which he is willing to fire the person who outed Valery Plame. He will fire any staff member who "committed a crime". But if a staff member has only leaked the information and managed not to commit a crime in the process, the president would keep him. By itself, outing a CIA agent for partisan gain appears to seem insufficiently improper to the commander in chief for firing the person who did it.

There is another way to interpret the President's words. Initially when this came up, the question "would he fire anyone who leaked. . .", the implication was 'illegally, improperly, or unethically leaked' and that is what was in his mind when he said he would fire anyone who did that. No names (other than Joe Wilson and Valerie Plame) had been suggested at that time.

Now that it has become apparent that the sharks are circling around his staffer, campaign architect, and good friend and every word uttered by anybody headlined in the newspaper, everybody is being much more careful and precise in what they say.

I think anybody with a brain or sense of fair play now knows that Karl Rove did not intentionally 'out' Valierie Plame for political or any other reasons. In fact, he didn't 'out' her at all. His remarks was not improper, illegal, or unethical.

As there is no way many in the press (or many of the Democrats) intend to be fair or even honest about this, however, the President is not gong to give them further ammunition to demand Rove's head. He is now choosing his words much more carefully so as not to provide such ammunition.

I think most honest people admit they would put far less importance on incidental spontaneous comments from persons they liked.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:16 am
Fox
Quote:

I think anybody with a brain or sense of fair play now knows that Karl Rove did not intentionally 'out' Valierie Plame for political or any other reasons. In fact, he didn't 'out' her at all. His remarks was not improper, illegal, or unethical.

You are, simply, unbelievable. Unbelievable.

Of COURSE he Intentionally 'outed' Plame. They were doing a hit on Wilson, remember? Rove doesn't even deny this point.

I'm going to have to archive some of these posts for later, sheesh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:38 am
Foxfyre wrote:
There is another way to interpret the President's words. Initially when this came up, the question "would he fire anyone who leaked. . .", the implication was 'illegally, improperly, or unethically leaked' and that is what was in his mind when he said he would fire anyone who did that. No names (other than Joe Wilson and Valerie Plame) had been suggested at that time.

As I recall, the journalist who first published Ms Plame's identity referred to his source as "a high-ranking official in the administration", or words to that effect. Hence, even under your interpretation, your "anyone who leaked..." clearly would have included said high-ranking government official.

Foxfyre wrote:

Since I don't know that at all, it follows that you think I lack both a brain and a sense of fairplay. It is a mystery why you would think that of me. But it's a boring mystery, so I won't belabor it. My life will go on even if it remains unresolved.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:42 am
Cyclo, if you think this is bad, read her posts on the Gay Marriage thread.

It is baffling to me how people with such illogical patterns of thinking are able to function in everyday life.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:43 am
Yeah, I've spent my time slogging through the dissonance that is that thread. And my question asked there still remains, after all this time, unanswered:

In what way will allowing Gays to marry affect pre-existing marriages, so as to 'lessen' them in any way?

But, let's not argue about it here...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:48 am
Of course it's unethical, even if it turns out to be legal.

She's working at the CIA. she works on National Security. Apparently, she is covered under that law.

Foxfyre, this whole thing was timed to get back at Joe Wilson, because he had the nerve to say that Bush was not telling the truth about Niger and the uranium.

I am reading the NIger section of the Committee report right now, and I am not all the way through yet. But what is clear is that as the year wore on-Wilson was debriefed by the CIA about his trip in March 2002-people in the intelligence community grew to agree with Wilson-and not just because of Wilson's report. There was no deal between Iraq and Niger, and the intelligence community grew to know it, despite the British report.

Wilson had the right to expose the Bush administration on this. And this whole thing happened right after he did so, in order to get back at him.

How ethical is it for Rove to confirm a report exposing Wilson's wife cover because he wants to get back at Wilson for telling the truth about the unliklihood of the deal between Niger and Iraq?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:50 am
Foxfyre wrote:
There is another way to interpret the President's words. Initially when this came up, the question "would he fire anyone who leaked. . .", the implication was 'illegally, improperly, or unethically leaked'

As opposed to legally, properly and ethically leaked, one would suppose.

Well, as it turns out, Rove might indeed still turn out to have legally leaked Plame's name - thats why Bush is falling back to this line, after all.

But "properly and ethically leaked"? Really?

And there's the exact salience here, of course. When a government official commits an actual crime, he should resign, obviously. But since when has the bar been set that high (or low, rather)?

As long as a government official hasnt actually commited a crime, he can stay?

Weren't government officials supposed to resign also if they hadnt quite broken the law yet, but still definitely not acted properly and ethically?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:00 am
nimh wrote:
But "properly and ethically leaked"? Really?

And there's the exact salience here, of course. When a government official commits an actual crime, he should resign, obviously. But since when has the bar been set that high (or low, rather)?

For what it's worth, one Otto Wiesheu once was convicted of killing a family in a traffic accident while driving drunk. It didn't stop the sitting governor of Bavaria from making him minister of transportation, nor from keeping him ever since. Certainly Mr. Bush's ethics look a lot better when compared to this! Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:09 am
<Well, in the German liberal party, FDP, there were a couple of previously convicted persons in high functions, too :wink: >
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:13 am
BBB
Foxfyre is a one agenda proponent. She is a conservative Republican Party chauvinist who thinks she is a US patriot. She puts her party's power retention above the best interests of the US and all of its citizens.
Her party can do no wrong, the others can do nothing right.

I have no respect for such chauvinists.

BBB
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:16 am
Quote:
Well, as it turns out, Rove might indeed still turn out to have legally leaked Plame's name - thats why Bush is falling back to this line, after all.

NOTHING has turned out. This is Rove's only lame defense. IMO , I don't think Rove will be charged under the IIPA, they may get him and others for conspiracy, perjury, obstruction of justice, and lying to the FBI though.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:18 am
Apologies Thomas. I would never imply that you didn't have a brain or sense of fair play. I might imply that in your dislike for the President and Mr. Rove, you might lean toward believing unspoken intent, but that is pure speculation on my part based on my sense of human nature in general. It was not intended to be an indictment of you.

There is no harsher honest critic of Karl Rove and the President than Christopher Hitchins has been, but even he has come to the conclusion this is a tempest in a teapot and no scandal deserving of the name exists in this issue:

Rove Rage
The Poverty of Our Current Scandal
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:24 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Of COURSE he Intentionally 'outed' Plame. They were doing a hit on Wilson, remember? Rove doesn't even deny this point.

Link please?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:30 am
Chrissee wrote:
NOTHING has turned out. This is Rove's only lame defense. IMO , I don't think Rove will be charged under the IIPA, they may get him and others for conspiracy, perjury, obstruction of justice, and lying to the FBI though.

Why not, Chrissee? I thought you thought it was obvious to you that Plame was a covert agent and the law had been violated. After all, why else would the CIA have forwarded the matter to the DOJ, right? Why else would Ashcroft have recused himself? Why else would Fitzgerald have questioned witnesses before a grand jury? I thought this was all crystal clear to you. What gives? Why the sudden change of position? Have you seen some light from above?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:31 am
Ticomaya wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
However, the brief, along with its reasoning was rejected by the Supreme Court as evidence of the illegitimacy of the Grand Jury insisting that miller divulge her sources. The Court refused even to hear the case.

That means that the Court did not believe the "evidence" in the brief stating that Plame had been outed before under the relevant statutes.

The Court's ruling denies that the evidence in footnote # 7, detailing Gertz's article and comments on the soviets and later the CIA having outed Plame rose to the level of denying the Grand Jury of its legitimacy.

What is the basis for your belief that by refusing the hear the case the Supreme Court has decided the matter on the merits?

Upon what criteria other than merits are Supreme Court decisions to take a case made?

It's purely discretionary. The Court takes certiorari not as a matter of right, but as a matter of unfettered judicial discretion. It grants only 3 percent of private petitions for cert, and it makes almost all denials of certiorari without explanation. Chief Justice Rehnquist has said, "whether or not to vote to grant certiorari strikes me as a rather subjective decision, made up in part of intuition and in part of legal judgment."

Supreme Court Rule 10 doesn't control or fully measure the Court's discretion, but refers by way of example to cases where there's a "conflict with a decision of another federal court of appeals on the same important matter." In its current form, Rule 10 states that the Court will not ordinarily take a case where the asserted error, "consists of the misapplication of a properly stated rule of law." In other words, where the applicable rule of law is settled, the Court will not review the proper application of said rule to particular facts and circumstances, nor will the Court grant certiorari to review "erroneous factual findings."

So, I'm trying to figure out how you have been able to determine that by declining to review this case the Supreme Court has effectively decided the case on the basis of an underlying Amicus Brief, and its denial constitutes a rejection of the arguments in said brief? Do you have some insight into the internal deliberations of the current Supreme Court that the rest of us don't have?

Quote:
SUPREME COURT OF THE U.S. - RULES
..Part III. Jurisdiction on Writ of Certiorari
Rule 10. Considerations Governing Review on Writ of Certiorari

Review on a writ of certiorari is not a matter of right, but of judicial discretion. A petition for a writ of certiorari will be granted only for compelling reasons. The following, although neither controlling nor fully measuring the Court's discretion, indicate the character of the reasons the Court considers:

* (a) a United States court of appeals has entered a decision in conflict with the decision of another United States court of appeals on the same important matter; has decided an important federal question in a way that conflicts with a decision by a state court of last resort; or has so far departed from the accepted and usual course of judicial proceedings, or sanctioned such a departure by a lower court, as to call for an exercise of this Court's supervisory power;
* (b) a state court of last resort has decided an important federal question in a way that conflicts with the decision of another state court of last resort or of a United States court of appeals;
* (c) a state court or a United States court of appeals has decided an important question of federal law that has not been, but should be, settled by this Court, or has decided an important federal question in a way that conflicts with relevant decisions of this Court.

A petition for a writ of certiorari is rarely granted when the asserted error consists of erroneous factual findings or the misapplication of a properly stated rule of law.

the appeals court decision was left standing. you can twist it any other way your right wing heart desires but you are going to have to accept that the Supreme Court decided that the appeals court decision was decided correctly. otherwise, they would have stepped in and taken the case. by not accepting the case, the Supreme Court found the of the circumstances illustrated by the amicus brief filed by the media lawyers without merit vis-a-vis the legitimacy of the Grand Jury. that is why the Appeals Court sent Miller to jail. the fact that Miller sits in a jail today is prima fascia evidence that the Supreme Court concurred with the Appeals Court that there as sufficient evidence that a crime had been committed. it rejects the argument that Plame was no longer covered by the law Fitzgerald was using to sit the Grand Jury.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:38 am
BBB
http://www.theillustrateddailyscribble.com/

http://www.theillustrateddailyscribble.com/daily.scribble.pages.05/i07.18.05.html
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:09 am
kuvasz wrote:
the appeals court decision was left standing.

Of course the Appellate Court's decision was "left standing." To quote our sage Chrissee: "Duh." Why would I try and twist it -- that much is obvious ... and I should point out that is about the only correct statement you made in your effort to explain the unknown rationale of the Supreme Court in its decision to not grant cert in this particular matter. The "twisting" here is being done by you as you try and assign meaning to the very routine and discretionary function of the Supreme Court in deciding whether or not to grant cert.

Quote:
you can twist it any other way your right wing heart desires but you are going to have to accept that the Supreme Court decided that the appeals court decision was decided correctly. otherwise, they would have stepped in and taken the case.

Again, I will ask you to provide ANY substantiation for this claim. In the absence of any evidence to back up your claim, I will accept your statement that you are purely guessing here, because you really don't know what you're talking about.

The fact that the Supreme Court decided to not grant cert does NOT mean it decided the underlying matter was decided correctly.

Quote:
by not accepting the case, the Supreme Court found the of the circumstances illustrated by the amicus brief filed by the media lawyers without merit vis-a-vis the legitimacy of the Grand Jury.

Really? Let me ask you this: When in those rare instances the Supreme Court actually decides to grant certiorari, is it your position that in doing so, it has decided that the arguments of the appellant(s) -- and in fact the arguments of any amici curiae who may have filed briefs with the lower court -- are meritorious? Given your demonstrated limited understanding of this process, it would not surprise me in the least ...

Quote:
that is why the Appeals Court sent Miller to jail. the fact that Miller sits in a jail today is prima fascia evidence that the Supreme Court concurred with the Appeals Court that there as sufficient evidence that a crime had been committed. it rejects the argument that Plame was no longer covered by the law Fitzgerald was using to sit the Grand Jury.

That statement might be even more ridiculous. The fact that Miller is in jail is because the Court of Appeals' ruling -- that any qualified reporter's privilege was overcome on the particular facts of this case -- stands. By refusing certiorari, the Supreme Court does not concur with the findings of a lower court. If you continue to insist otherwise you are only showing the breadth of your lack of knowledge on this particular subject.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:20 am
Interesting developments....

Raw Story quoting the WSJ

Quote:
Wall Street Journal enters Rove fray: State Dept. memo made clear info 'shouldn't be shared'
RAW STORY

A classified State Department memo that may be pivotal to the CIA leak case made clear that information identifying an agent and her role in her husband's intelligence-gathering mission was sensitive and shouldn't be shared, according to a person familiar with the document, the (paid-restricted) Wall Street Journal reports Tuesday. Excerpts follow.

News that the memo was marked for its sensitivity emerged as President Bush yesterday appeared to backtrack from his 2004 pledge to fire any member of his staff involved in the leaking of the CIA agent's name. In a news conference yesterday that followed disclosures that his top strategist, Karl Rove, had discussed Ms. Wilson's CIA employment with two reporters, Mr. Bush adopted a different formulation, specifying criminality as the standard for firing.

The memo's details are significant because they will make it harder for officials who saw the document to claim that they didn't realize the identity of the CIA officer was a sensitive matter. Patrick Fitzgerald, the special prosecutor, may also be looking at whether other crimes -- such as perjury, obstruction of justice or leaking classified information -- were committed.

On July 6, 2003, former diplomat Joseph Wilson wrote an op-ed piece for the New York Times, disputing administration arguments that Iraq had sought to buy uranium ore from Africa to make nuclear weapons. The following day, President Bush and top cabinet officials left for Africa, and the memo was aboard Air Force One.

The paragraph in the memo discussing Ms. Wilson's involvement in her husband's trip is marked at the beginning with a letter designation in brackets to indicate the information shouldn't be shared, according to the person familiar with the memo. Such a designation would indicate to a reader that the information was sensitive. The memo, though, doesn't specifically describe Ms. Wilson as an undercover agent, the person familiar with the memo said.

According to the person familiar with the document, it didn't include a distribution list. It isn't known if President Bush has seen the memo.

The piece also reveals a response from Ari Fleischer:

Mr. Novak attempted to reach Ari Fleischer, then the White House press secretary, in the days before his column appeared. However, Mr. Fleischer didn't respond to Mr. Novak's inquiries, according to a person familiar with his account. Mr. Fleischer, who has since left the administration, is one of several officials who testified before the grand jury.

Okay.

Let's suppose for a second that Rove et al didn't first hear about this thing from reporters. They heard about it from the state dept. memo that was apparently passed around on AF1.

This seems much more likely to me. There is no doubt the memo was on the plane and no doubt that more than one person there knew of it's existence.

Now we recieve reports that the memo itself identified the information itself as being 'sensitive.'

You can work out the implications yourself.

Righties, please note that even in the Luskin-leaked Rove testimony, Rove doesn't ever quite say where he learned about all this from. In fact, he retreats to 'not being able to remember' where he heard about it from.

We'll see where this leads. In the meantime, anyone have a subscription to the WSJ who can print us some snippets?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:25 am
Huh.

Will watch that development with interest.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:26 am
Hold on, Tico. As a lay person in legal matters, I was under the impression that one, albeit only one, of the most important reasons why the Supreme Court would agree to consider a lower court ruling is because of its initial sense that something was 'amiss'. That, undue weight was given to one amongst many legal principles or rulings at play; an outright contradiction with a subsequent relevant ruling by a higher court then that under consideration, etc., etc.

In other words, that the ruling in contention might be considered to be wrong?
0 Replies