Rove was the source of the Plame leak... so it appears

JustWonders

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:18 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
I wonder if Berger was sitting there cutting up stolen classified documents and thinking to himself "this is an honest mistake". Smile

He's not yet been sentenced, so he's not being punished.

that should read "COPIES of classified documents".

still a stupid thing to do, but there's a difference between a copy and an original document.

Berger made more than one "visit" to do his pilfering. He took multiple copies of documents, presumably thinking he'd taken them all, but by the second visit they were onto him and had "flagged" certain copies and also made certain that there were other copies left behind.

You see, you'd know all this stuff by heart if it got as much press as anything the administration or their staff do. Don't even try to tell me that if Rove stole documents, copies of documents, and then took them home, cut them up with scissors, destroyed others and then said it was an "honest mistake" that you'd believe that for even one minute LOL.

If Rove had done that, the MSM would be screaming on a daily basis wanting to know WHY. They would not let it rest until they either had answers or had made up their own answers. You know that. Be a sport and admit it Smile
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:40 pm
JustWonders wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
I wonder if Berger was sitting there cutting up stolen classified documents and thinking to himself "this is an honest mistake". Smile

still a stupid thing to do, but there's a difference between a copy and an original document.

Berger made more than one "visit" to do his pilfering. He took multiple copies of documents, presumably thinking he'd taken them all, but by the second visit they were onto him and had "flagged" certain copies and also made certain that there were other copies left behind.

You see, you'd know all this stuff by heart if it got as much press as anything the administration or their staff do. Don't even try to tell me that if Rove stole documents, copies of documents, and then took them home, cut them up with scissors, destroyed others and then said it was an "honest mistake" that you'd believe that for even one minute LOL.

If Rove had done that, the MSM would be screaming on a daily basis wanting to know WHY. They would not let it rest until they either had answers or had made up their own answers. You know that. Be a sport and admit it Smile

I got a great laugh out of this one JW.. "multiple copies of documents" Documents with an s? He took copies of the SAME document. ONE.. That is what he pled guilty to. Berger pled guilty to taking 5 copies of a document. One on his first visit and 4 copies on his second visit. Perspective is required on your part JW before you accuse the left and the media of going over the top on Rove.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:53 pm
parados wrote:
Cite the variables I refuse to acknowledge? You can't seem to do it no matter how many times I request you to do it. Why is that Tico?

If you're trying to get an award for being the most pig-headed, you really don't need to try so hard ... you won a long time ago.

2 days ago, Tico wrote:
(1) You assume there are no other sources of the information aside from the State Dept. memo. (You appear to feel confident in making that assumption because there are no other "known" sources.) (2) You assume that Rove and Libby got their information from the State Dept. Memo. (3) You assume that nobody at the State Dept. revealed the information to a reporter, who then told Rove and Libby. (4) You assume that Rove and/or Libby saw the State Dept. memo.

LINK

The variables, parados, are the unknowns which you steadfastly refuse to ackowledge might exist.

And in the - no doubt futile - hope that you won't yet again demand that I provide proof of the existance of these variables, I'll state once again that I have NO PROOF that any such variables exist.

But if you want to jump to the conclusion you have, be my guest. I've identified the assumptions you've made, and I've pointed out that your conclusion is by no means a certainty. We shall have to wait and see whether your prediction turns out to be correct.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:55 pm
parados wrote:
I got a great laugh out of this one JW.. "multiple copies of documents" Documents with an s? He took copies of the SAME document. ONE.. That is what he pled guilty to. Berger pled guilty to taking 5 copies of a document. One on his first visit and 4 copies on his second visit. Perspective is required on your part JW before you accuse the left and the media of going over the top on Rove.

It doesn't take much to get a "great laugh" out of you, I've noticed. Laughing
0 Replies

pngirouard

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:01 pm
What Now, Karl?

Rove and Ashcroft face new allegations in the Valerie Plame affair

Excerpts:

Quote:
Justice Department officials made the crucial decision in late 2003 to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the leak of the identity of undercover CIA officer Valerie Plame in large part because investigators had begun to specifically question the veracity of accounts provided to them by White House deputy chief of staff Karl Rove, according to senior law enforcement officials.

Several of the federal investigators were also deeply concerned that then attorney general John Ashcroft was personally briefed regarding the details of at least one FBI interview with Rove, despite Ashcroft's own longstanding personal and political ties to Rove, the Voice has also learned. The same sources said Ashcroft was also told that investigators firmly believed that Rove had withheld important information from them during that FBI interview.

Up until that point, the investigation had been conducted by a team of career prosecutors and FBI agents, some of whom believed Ashcroft should recuse himself. Democrats on Capitol Hill were calling for him to step down, but he did not. Then on December 30, 2003, Ashcroft unexpectedly recused himself from further overseeing the matter, and James B. Comey, then deputy attorney general, named Patrick J. Fitzgerald as the special prosecutor who would take over the case.

As the truthfulness of Rove's accounts became more of a focus of investigators, career Justice Department employees and senior FBI officials became even more concerned about the continuing role in the investigation of Ashcroft, because of his close relationship with Rove. Rove had earlier served as an adviser to Ashcroft during the course of three political campaigns. And Rove's onetime political consulting firm had been paid more than $746,000 for those services.

In response to these new allegations, Representative John Conyers of Michigan, the current ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, and former chairman of the committee as well, said in a statement: "There has long been the appearance of impropriety in Ashcroft's handling of this investigation. The former attorney general had well documented conflicts of interest in this matter, particularly with regard to his personal relationship with Karl Rove. Among other things, Rove was employed by Ashcroft throughout his political career, and Rove reportedly had fiercely advocated for Ashcroft's appointment as attorney general. Pursuant to standard rules of legal ethics, and explicit rules on conflict of interest, those facts alone should have dictated his immediate recusal.

Although not reported at the time, when Ashcroft recused himself from the Plame investigation, Deputy Attorney General Comey said in a statement that the A.G.'s personal staff was also being fully recused in the matter.

The new disclosures as to why Ashcroft recused himself from the Plame case and why a special prosecutor was named are important for a number of reasons:

First, they show that from the very earliest days of the criminal probe, federal investigators had a strong belief and body of evidence that Rove and perhaps other officials might be misleading them.

Second, the new information underscores that career Justice Department staffers had concerns that the continued role of Ashcroft and other political aides might tarnish the investigation.

Finally, the new information once again highlights the importance of the testimony of journalists in uncovering whether anyone might have broken the law by disclosing classified information regarding Plame. (The same liberal press so despised for no rational reason by TICO but apparently revered by Rove and co)

More at:

http://villagevoice.com/news/0533,waasweb1,66861,2.html
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:11 pm
Five copies of one document? That's what Sandy Berger pleaded guilty to on a plea bargain I believe. But. . . .

The Sandy Berger version from the conservative media:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,126249,00.html

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/7/13/190705.shtml

The Sandy Berger version from Wikipedia
Quote:
On July 19, 2004, it was revealed that the U.S. Justice Department was investigating Berger for taking as many as fifty classified documents, in October 2003, from a National Archives reading room prior to testifying before the 9/11 Commission. The documents were commissioned from Richard Clarke about the Clinton administration's handling of millennium terror threats. When initially questioned, Berger claimed that the removal of top-secret documents in his attache-case and handwritten notes in his pants and jacket pockets was accidental. He would later, in a guilty plea, admit to deliberately removing materials. Berger left the John Kerry campaign shortly after the incident became public. Some suggested that Berger's removal of the documents constituted theft and moreover had serious national security implications, while others claimed that the documents were taken, only drafts and all were flattering to Clinton and Berger (relating to the failed 2000 millennium attack plots). However, Berger admitted that the three documents that he destroyed were drafts that contained information not contained in the final report.[1]
On April 1, 2005, in connection with the documents investigation, Berger pled guilty to a misdemeanor charge of unauthorized removal and retention of classified material. Under a plea agreement, he was fined $10,000 and lost his security clearance for three years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Berger

The Sandy Berger version from the liberal media (I could find one source):
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/04/01/berger.plea/
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:17 pm
Huffington Post

Quote:
08.15.2005 Arianna Huffington

The Judy File: Miller's UN-likely Visitor
Ever since President Bush slipped him through the UN's backdoor via a recess appointment, John Bolton has been giving reporters the cold shoulder. He strode past them when he showed up at the UN on August 2nd to present his letter of appointment, and WaPo columnist Al Kamen shows that he hasn't opened up much since (via TWN).

But Bolton apparently has a warm spot in his heart for at least one journalist: none other than Judy Miller.

A trusted Judy File source just emailed to say that Bolton had recently taken time out of his busy schedule to pay a jailhouse visit to Judy.

No word on what they talked about.

Maybe they swapped notes on Pat Fitzgerald (Judy: "He really got mad when I wouldn't tell him what he wanted..." Bolton: "...and they say I've got a temper!"(laughter all around))

Or maybe they just talked about old times, when Bolton was reportedly a regular source for Miller's WMD and national security reports.

Just two potential Plamegate sources shooting the breeze.

For anyone who doesn't find this jailhouse get-together highly UN-usual, please give me the name of the journalist who, in or out of jail, would get a visit from John Bolton. Other than Bob Novak.

And for any employees of the Alexandria Detention Center who may have been monitoring the Bolton-Miller visit: feel free to give us a call or drop us an e-mail. The Judy File promises to protect your identity... even if it means taking the cell next to Judy's.

Posted at 02:50 PM

He was just in the neighborhood, I guess.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:34 pm
I only know Huffington from her run for CA Gov. I take it she's a gossip-columnist?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:41 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I only know Huffington from her run for CA Gov. I take it she's a gossip-columnist?

Answer.com on Huffington Post (from wiki).
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:08 pm
JustWonders wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

why what ever do you mean ? i'm always a sport. :wink:

now you know that, like yourself, a whole lot has been made of the berger thing by the media. you yourself bring it up frequently. it's still kickin' one way or another.

but, if there's already some conclusion to the episode, it's not really "news" anymore, is it ?

that said, as i understand it, he took, rightly or wrongly, only copies of documents. knew that he was not taking originals.

is that correct ?

if that is true, then he would also know that he wasn't going to cover anything up by taking only copies.

if he did in fact believe he was taking originals with the intent of a cover up, i would have to condemn his actions. and would be willing to do so if the proof was offered by multiple legitimate sources, not a blog called " all liberal demokkkRats must die". Laughing

i'm really at the point where i want all of the foolishness on any and all sides in our government to come to an end. it's frackin' killing our country.

sound fair to you ?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:11 pm
DTOM - there's plenty of questions that we'll probably never have the answers to involving Berger and his removing the documents. We'll never get those answers, though, since the media doesn't seem to be the least bit curious.

I still think if Rove had done what SandyPants did, it would be front-page headlines for months....years even LOL.

Good to see you recovering some of your good and gracious humor, though Smile

<DemokkkRats...LOL>
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:58 pm
Tico,

And there you go again.

Trying to discredit Huffington?

LOL.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 06:15 am
sumac wrote:
Tico,

And there you go again.

Trying to discredit Huffington?

LOL.

Appears to be a rumormonger, if you ask me. If you consider that "discrediting," I guess so.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 06:26 am
Rumormonger? Journalist? One source OK, another is not?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 07:43 am
Do you consider a gossip columnist a "journalist"?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:55 am
Ticomaya wrote:
parados wrote:
Cite the variables I refuse to acknowledge? You can't seem to do it no matter how many times I request you to do it. Why is that Tico?

If you're trying to get an award for being the most pig-headed, you really don't need to try so hard ... you won a long time ago.

2 days ago, Tico wrote:
(1) You assume there are no other sources of the information aside from the State Dept. memo. (You appear to feel confident in making that assumption because there are no other "known" sources.) (2) You assume that Rove and Libby got their information from the State Dept. Memo. (3) You assume that nobody at the State Dept. revealed the information to a reporter, who then told Rove and Libby. (4) You assume that Rove and/or Libby saw the State Dept. memo.

LINK

The variables, parados, are the unknowns which you steadfastly refuse to ackowledge might exist.

And in the - no doubt futile - hope that you won't yet again demand that I provide proof of the existance of these variables, I'll state once again that I have NO PROOF that any such variables exist.

Raised by you, answered by me. You admit you have no proof let alone anything even concrete to raise the questions.

I have no proof that Bush is really controlled by space aliens either. But that doesn't mean I should claim it is an assumption that his administration makes the decisions simply because he MIGHT be controlled by aliens.

There are no absolutes Tico.. I stated a LONG time ago that reasonable people can come to reasonable conclusions based on the known information. Simply raising a point that has no basis in reality (because you can provide no evidence to support it) doesn't change the reasonableness of a conclusion. It only shows a desperate attempt on your part to knock down a conclusion that you don't like. Based on the information we DO KNOW Tico, NOT the information we do NOT KNOW there is only one conclusion. Bringing up things we don't know is nothing but a red herring in a discussion of logical conclusions.

The problem with your variables Tico is that with the number of people that are investigating this incident the probability of your variables existing are getting closer and closer to the probability of Bush being controlled by aliens.

To reanswer your question above.. Is it possible that there was another source besides the memo from State? Yes.

Is it probable that 2 years of investigation have not found that other source? no.
Is it probable that another source would have the same misinformation in it? Not really. Its more likely the person writing the memo wasn't too concerned about the actual facts of Wilson and his wife since it wasn't the thrust of the memo and misswrote.
Is it probable that Rove would hear something about Wilson's wife sending him on the trip and not remember who told him? No, based on Rove's emails and his conversation with Cooper.

We can discuss all day about why your variables are not probable. The mountain of evidence points to no other source. I don't have all the information that the prosecutor does but its easy enough to read between the lines of what he is doing.

In a logical construct I see no requirement to consider all improbable premises to the point that they override the probable ones. That is what you are asking us to do here Tico. Will it rise to the level of a crime for Rove? WHo knows? I don't. Is it pretty obvious that the WH conspired to attack Wilson through his wife? Yeah, its looking more and more that way.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 09:37 am
I don't care for your conclusion, parados, because as far as I'm concerned it holds as much water as a sieve, for all the reasons I've given previously.

parados wrote:
Is it probable that 2 years of investigation have not found that other source? no.

And yet Judy Miller sits in jail for some unknown reason ....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:20 am
Oh, I don't think that reason is as unknown as it used to be, do you?

She's up to her neck in this thing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:23 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh, I don't think that reason is as unknown as it used to be, do you?

She's up to her neck in this thing.

Cycloptichorn

I don't know, what do you think?

Huffington seems to not know either, but she proffers a theory or two via her rumor mill.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:25 am
I think, now that a lot more attention has been paid to what Miller has been up to these last few years, her phone logs, and her former contacts in the WH, and also given that she didn't WRITE a story on the subject, it is reasonable to conclude that she is involved in some way with either protecting herself or protecting a highly placed gov't source who claims to have released her, and hasn't; and probably angling her way towards a book deal at the same time.

Cycloptichron
0 Replies