Rove was the source of the Plame leak... so it appears

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:52 am
There are punishments even for 'unknowingly' giving out secure information, as I'm sure you know, Tico.

But I would only take exception with this:

Quote:
specifically that Ms. Plame has been stationed overseas within 5 years prior to the disclosure.

Stationed, or travelled on assignment? My reading of the statute seems to say that she could merely have gone overseas on assignment for this to count.

And we of course have no information to go off of on that count, so....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:19 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
There are punishments even for 'unknowingly' giving out secure information, as I'm sure you know, Tico.

But I would only take exception with this:

Quote:
specifically that Ms. Plame has been stationed overseas within 5 years prior to the disclosure.

Stationed, or travelled on assignment? My reading of the statute seems to say that she could merely have gone overseas on assignment for this to count.

And we of course have no information to go off of on that count, so....

Cycloptichorn

Yes, the precise word is "served" not "stationed."

Punishments for unknowingly giving out secure info is outside of the IIPA. If your suspicions are correct, Cyclops, the CIA might have forwarded the case to the DOJ for further investigation of a possible crime without having determined that Ms. Plame was a "covert agent" as defined under the IIPA. You realize that parados thinks that is unlikely.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:23 pm
Tico,
The same logical conclusions any jury would come to in a court of law in spite of your spin. As a lawyer you should be well aware of the difference between reasonable doubt and unreasonable doubt. It's unreasonable to expect that lawyers in the DoJ and in the CIA all came to bad conclusions. The AG didn't recuse himself because there was no legal basis for the pursuit of criminal activity. There is a rather large law community that have actually looked at the evidence and come to a conclusion different from you who has not looked at it. A reasonable person would take the word of multiple people all agreeing as opposed to a naysayer that has no access.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:31 pm
parados wrote:
Tico,
The same logical conclusions any jury would come to in a court of law in spite of your spin. As a lawyer you should be well aware of the difference between reasonable doubt and unreasonable doubt. It's unreasonable to expect that lawyers in the DoJ and in the CIA all came to bad conclusions. The AG didn't recuse himself because there was no legal basis for the pursuit of criminal activity. There is a rather large law community that have actually looked at the evidence and come to a conclusion different from you who has not looked at it. A reasonable person would take the word of multiple people all agreeing as opposed to a naysayer that has no access.

So, it's verified beyond a shadow of doubt that she was covert and this has been proven and testified to and is now fact?

Tico, I think you have ... at long last ... your answer :wink:
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:24 pm
JW......

Don't worry, the theory of gravity hasn't been proven beyond a "shadow" of a doubt either but the work of many qualified people point to its being a pretty good fact.

All luddites can jump in the "unreasonable doubt" end of the pool now and splash around some more. Don't forget your bathing suit.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 03:39 pm
Or, we could act like adults, have a little patience, and wait until the investigation is completed and Mr. Fitzgerald has revealed his results.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:08 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Or, we could act like adults, have a little patience, and wait until the investigation is completed and Mr. Fitzgerald has revealed his results.

We could. I am happy to wait for the results. I will be happy to live with the results. Will you state now that you will support whatever indictments or other findings Fitzgerald comes out with?

I am not the one claiming that Fitzgerald didn't bother to check the most basic part of the law and find out if Plame was covered under it or not.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:28 pm
parados wrote:
Tico,

If you think you would convince a jury based upon the facts and evidence that you have now, beyond a reasonable doubt, you're delusional. That isn't what you meant to say, is it? You don't even have a case based on circumstantial evidence. I'm well aware of what constitutes "reasonable doubt" ... are you? Shall we compare our relative experience in trying cases to juries, both prosecuting and defending? I've not tried to make myself out to be an expert here, but if you're going to take me down to the level where you are patronizing me about whether I understand the difference between reasonable and unreasonable doubt, I'm going to call you on it.

As far as this "rather large law community" you reference, please point me in their direction. I want to review their conclusions. Do you have a link to a website? Where can I review their discussions and findings?
0 Replies

JustWonders

parados wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

I am not the one claiming that Fitzgerald didn't bother to check the most basic part of the law and find out if Plame was covered under it or not.

I am quite confident Fitzgerald has determined Plame's status. However, he's under no obligation that I know of to reveal any of the findings until the investigation is completed.

I won't have a problem no matter who is or isn't found to be liable. There's an investigation, there's a competent investigator, and I'm sure he's doing his best to see that justice prevails.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

JustWonders wrote:
parados wrote:
Tico,

So, it's verified beyond a shadow of doubt that she was covert and this has been proven and testified to and is now fact?

Tico, I think you have ... at long last ... your answer :wink:

LOL, JW. I'm not even asking for "beyond a shadow of a doubt." I'm just asking if there is ANY evidence.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:29 pm
parados wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

We could. I am happy to wait for the results. I will be happy to live with the results. Will you state now that you will support whatever indictments or other findings Fitzgerald comes out with?

You are the one who has leaped to conclude he is only focusing on the IIPA.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:49 pm
OMFG!!! Why does anyone even discuss this refuted "Plame is not covert" canard?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:52 pm
Chrissee wrote:
OMFG!!! Why does anyone even discuss this refuted "Plame is not covert" canard?

Who has made that claim?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:22 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
parados wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

LOL.. wow.. when did I say that was all he was focusing on? You fall victim to your own tactics here Tico.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:55 pm
parados wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
parados wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

LOL.. wow.. when did I say that was all he was focusing on? You fall victim to your own tactics here Tico.

You list a lot of facts which you believe indicate Plame must be covert, specifically:

Quote:

CIA lawyers determined that revealing Plame's name was a possible violation of US law.
DoJ lawyers determined that revealing Plame's name was a possible violation of US law.
US Code states that willfully revealing the name of covert agent is a violation of US law.
US prosecutor Fitzgerald and the GJ have continued to think there is a possible violation of law.
Papers filed with Court and a judge's ruling state there is the very real threat to national security from this investigation.

You hold these facts to be "overwhelming" in pointing to Plame being a "covert agent." The only reason you would take this position is if you thought the "US law" that's been violated is the IIPA, and therefore because these entities think the "law" has been violated, that law must be the IIPA, and therefore Plame must be a "covert agent." If you thought otherwise, you would be more cautious in this assessment. You think there is a "remote possibility" she is not covered, so I suppose you would place the odds that Fitzgerald is focusing on another crime as "remote." Is that a characterization you can live with?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:10 pm
How many billable hours are you getting per week, Tico?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:07 am
Chrissee wrote:
How many billable hours are you getting per week, Tico?

I suppose that depends on the week. Why are you interested?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:19 am
Tico,

There is a large difference between the REASON that the CIA and DoJ started the investigation and the possible reasons that it continues today.

The CIA has stated that it informed the DoJ that a possible crime was committed when the name of a undercover CIA agent was revealed. The DoJ concurred and started the investigation. Fitzgerald may have rejected that by this time because he can't meet the "intent" part of the law but the only probable way to start the investigation is to meet the "covert" status based on what the CIA reported as a possible crime.

At this point, Fitzgerald could be investigating conspiracy, obstruction, lying to Federal investigators etc. But there is no way to make an argument to start the investigation if you can't come close to meeting the covert status of the law.

So Tico if I argue for something does that mean I am against unrelated items? If I question the existence of something would that mean I am really against it when I refuse to address a list of items that show it to exist?

Until you can explain away my list Tico you don't have much of a question there. It is unreasonable because you can't show reason why you think the question has any validity.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:36 am
parados wrote:
Tico,

There is a large difference between the REASON that the CIA and DoJ started the investigation and the possible reasons that it continues today.

The CIA has stated that it informed the DoJ that a possible crime was committed when the name of a undercover CIA agent was revealed. The DoJ concurred and started the investigation. Fitzgerald may have rejected that by this time because he can't meet the "intent" part of the law but the only probable way to start the investigation is to meet the "covert" status based on what the CIA reported as a possible crime.

At this point, Fitzgerald could be investigating conspiracy, obstruction, lying to Federal investigators etc. But there is no way to make an argument to start the investigation if you can't come close to meeting the covert status of the law.

So Tico if I argue for something does that mean I am against unrelated items? If I question the existence of something would that mean I am really against it when I refuse to address a list of items that show it to exist?

Until you can explain away my list Tico you don't have much of a question there. It is unreasonable because you can't show reason why you think the question has any validity.

As I said originally on page 82, and which has been mentioned several times since then:
Quote:
I have also heard that Plame was "outed" by Aldrich Ames back in 1994, so she was brought back to the States and given a desk job. If that's accurate, that would likely mean she was not sent overseas again.

Quote:
Kristof said the CIA brought Plame back to Washington in 1994 because the agency suspected her undercover security had been compromised by turncoat spy Aldrich Ames.

Quote:

Quote:
The law defines a "covert agent" as someone working undercover overseas, or who has done so in the last five years. Plame had operated under non-official cover, but was outed by CIA traitor Aldrich Ames, and has been manning a desk at CIA headquarters since 1997.

It is a valid question.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:48 am
Don't you think the CIA was aware of what you are aware of when they recommended her case to be investigated because of the revealing of her identity?
0 Replies