Rove was the source of the Plame leak... so it appears

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:43 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Not enogh Americans are challenging this administration. The followng was sent to me by a friend.

More evidence to me that liberals love to criticize, but apparently incapable of solving the problem. Their solution: Show how much you love your country .... challenge the administration.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:44 pm
When you bring up Morison it is the RIGHT that has its hypocrisy exposed.

The Senate held hearings about the pardon of Morison 17 years after he had been convicted. It's not like Morison was in jail at the time of the pardon. He had paid his debt to society and like all those convicted of a crime he is entitled to apply for a pardon to wipe his criminal record clean.

Yet when it comes to the ACTUAL leaking of classified information in the Plame case the GOP haven't held a single hearing.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:50 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
parados' post (a couple back), modified to read how he should have typed it:

parados wrote:
Mr. Spruiell's argument seems to be that we should be as upset about information that the CIA CLEARED for publication as we are about information that the CIA felt was worthy of asking for a criminal investigation about its publication.

There is a HUGE difference between the 2 Mr. Spruiell . Even you have to see that.

Why did you bother to post it without questioning if you don't agree with it? Why do you continue to stress Mr Spruiell's points if you don't agree with them?

We are left pointing out your acceptance of Mr Spruiell's statements without raising a single question while in the same thread you have constantly questioned the validity of decisions by CIA lawyers about the criminal act of revealing Plame worked at the CIA.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:51 pm
So, parados, if any Republican were convicted of leaking, served time, and THEN was pardoned by BUSH, you'd all have nothing to say. Right?

Uh huh. LOL.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:56 pm
parados wrote:
My question is: What leaks? There is no mention of any leak at all in the article you posted Tico. To demand that the left be outraged over something you provide less evidence for than what has been provided to you about Plame's covert status is pretty funny. Where is your question demanding to know for certain that any information was a leak, let alone what information was supposedly a leak. Has a prosecutor pursued these unsubstantiated claims of leaks giving them any legitimacy at all? What evidence do you have that these leaks even existed?

Variations of the word "leak" are used 9 times in the article I posted, not including the title. So I take issue with your statement that "[t]here is no mention of any leak at all in the article you posted Tico."
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:58 pm
Any Republican that Bush pardons 17 years after their conviction is fine by me.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:03 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
parados wrote:
My question is: What leaks? There is no mention of any leak at all in the article you posted Tico. To demand that the left be outraged over something you provide less evidence for than what has been provided to you about Plame's covert status is pretty funny. Where is your question demanding to know for certain that any information was a leak, let alone what information was supposedly a leak. Has a prosecutor pursued these unsubstantiated claims of leaks giving them any legitimacy at all? What evidence do you have that these leaks even existed?

Variations of the word "leak" are used 9 times in the article I posted, not including the title. So I take issue with your statement that "[t]here is no mention of any leak at all in the article you posted Tico."

Oh? what was the leak? The only mention is by using the word "leak". It never tells us what the leak was. Leak as used in the article is more elusive than the term "covert" in the Plame case. But you know that I am sure.

Plame is referred to as 'covert' several times in news reports. So that must make her covert. Right Tico?

Nothing "is" just because a word is used by an editorial writer.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:07 pm
Morrison is part of a family that has a long, long naval tradition going back many, many years. Morrison was part of that tradition.

Ironically, I believe it is the same general family which gave us Jim Morrison of The Doors. Obviously, he was the exception, lol.

Anyhow, Morrison was convinced that there were too many cutbacks in naval forces. I am not certain of the details as to how leaking the dimensions of a ship to Janes Defence helped matters, but as I recall all sides agree it was done by Morrison to get the Pentagon to increase the number of ships, which Morrison felt was dangerously low.

It was a protest on his part, which he undertook for the good of the country, (as he saw it).

He served his time. But being jailed for leaking national security info is a burden that will never go away for the likes of Morrison, who has Navy bred into him and who did what he did because he felt it was his duty to do so. He had increased national security as his goal for his actions.

I felt a pardon was called for, considering the altruistic motives for Morrison's actions, as well as his own history in service to the country.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:13 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
With all this "demon" and Satan stuff they throw around, the GOP is turning into The Church Lady, lol!

turning into, kelt?

the turning started 20+ years ago. that's why reagan was the last republican i voted for.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
Tico
Quote:
What about it? Again, your argument is with Admiral Inman, former Director of the National Security Administration and Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence. I merely posted the article which you apparently disagree with.

I don't care to argue about that stupid article you posted about Inman, because it is irrelevant to what is going on today.

I would like to discuss the confirmation that the CIA considered Plame to be covert. This was confirmed in today's WP article and seems to deflate your contentions that she was not.

This is far more relevant to the discussion today than cries of 'hypocrisy' and the like.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:47 pm
Lotsa far more relevant things in that WP article.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:28 pm
parados wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

parados wrote:
Mr. Spruiell's argument seems to be that we should be as upset about information that the CIA CLEARED for publication as we are about information that the CIA felt was worthy of asking for a criminal investigation about its publication.

There is a HUGE difference between the 2 Mr. Spruiell . Even you have to see that.

Why did you bother to post it without questioning if you don't agree with it?

Where did I say I didn't agree with it? I found it interesting. Apparently you do to.

Quote:
Why do you continue to stress Mr Spruiell's points if you don't agree with them?

In what sense have I "stressed" his points? I've had to clarify that these were points made by Mr. Spruiell, in response to posts attributing these arguments to me.

Quote:
We are left pointing out your acceptance of Mr Spruiell's statements without raising a single question while in the same thread you have constantly questioned the validity of decisions by CIA lawyers about the criminal act of revealing Plame worked at the CIA.

Go ahead and raise your questions. Are you actually questioning whether these were leaks, or are you just trying to be obtuse?

As you ponder your response, bear in mind that I'm not identifying Mr. Inman's points as articulated by Mr. Spruiell, and concluding, therefore, that there were leaks by the CIA. Had I done so, it would certainly be appropriate for you to question whether these qualify as "leaks," ... if you really do question it. Then, we could debate what a "leak" is, and wouldn't that be fun?

That Plame is a "covert agent," however, is a conclusion that has been reached by many posters to this thread, and it is the basis for their conclusion that I have questioned.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:28 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
I felt a pardon was called for, considering the altruistic motives for Morrison's actions, as well as his own history in service to the country.

KW, you must be one of those rare lefties who care about intent.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:35 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I would like to discuss the confirmation that the CIA considered Plame to be covert. This was confirmed in today's WP article and seems to deflate your contentions that she was not.

I read the WP article that sumac linked to. Is that the article you claim confirms the CIA considered Plame to be a "covert agent," because I didn't find it.

Or did you mean to say it confirms they thought she was an "undercover operative"? That, I thought, we knew.

-----

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, COULD SOMEBODY SHOW ME WHERE I, AT ANY TIME OR ANY PLACE, HAVE EVER CLAIMED PLAME WAS NOT A "COVERT AGENT" AS DEFINED IN THE IIPA?

I'm beginning to wonder if reading comprehension was just not covered in the schools some of you attended.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:34 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
parados wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

parados wrote:

Where did I say I didn't agree with it? I found it interesting. Apparently you do to.
I find it a load of garbage. Filled with innuendo and little fact. It talks about leaks but never mentions any specifics other than a book that was cleared by the CIA. It claims that Plame was only an analyst in spite of a lot of CIA comments to the contrary.
Quote:

Quote:
Why do you continue to stress Mr Spruiell's points if you don't agree with them?

In what sense have I "stressed" his points? I've had to clarify that these were points made by Mr. Spruiell, in response to posts attributing these arguments to me.
Your choice of the words "essentially highlighting" points to agreement and appears to stress his point as opposed to other word choices that would be sceptical or non committal. My point is how can he be "essentially highlighting" an hypocrisy when he never points to a single instance of a leak.
Quote:

Quote:

Go ahead and raise your questions. Are you actually questioning whether these were leaks, or are you just trying to be obtuse?
I am questioning how he could hilight an hypocrisy when he never lists any examples of actual leaks.
Quote:

As you ponder your response, bear in mind that I'm not identifying Mr. Inman's points as articulated by Mr. Spruiell, and concluding, therefore, that there were leaks by the CIA. Had I done so, it would certainly be appropriate for you to question whether these qualify as "leaks," ... if you really do question it. Then, we could debate what a "leak" is, and wouldn't that be fun?
Fun to hijack the thread with another meaningless argument? Pointless other than to attempt to obfuscate on your part.
Quote:

That Plame is a "covert agent," however, is a conclusion that has been reached by many posters to this thread, and it is the basis for their conclusion that I have questioned.
You accept Inman's argument without a single question but can't accept the statements of numerous sources concerning Plame being "covert". The point is well made Tico. You only argue with a conclusion when it serves you to do so then you go overboard in your disagreement.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:53 pm
parados wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
parados wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

parados wrote:

I find it a load of garbage. Filled with innuendo and little fact. It talks about leaks but never mentions any specifics other than a book that was cleared by the CIA. It claims that Plame was only an analyst in spite of a lot of CIA comments to the contrary.

Fine ... you disagree.

parados wrote:
Tico wrote:
Quote:

Your choice of the words "essentially highlighting" points to agreement and appears to stress his point as opposed to other word choices that would be sceptical or non committal. My point is how can he be "essentially highlighting" an hypocrisy when he never points to a single instance of a leak.

My choice of the phrase "essentially highlighting" it a very clear statement that articulates that is what I believe he is doing. Nothing in it indicates that I'm trying to "stress his point" nor does it point to agreement.

You should give up trying to inject meaning into my choice of words ... you are so bad at it, and know so little about me to guide your effort, that you only come across looking silly.

parados wrote:
Tico wrote:
Fun to hijack the thread with another meaningless argument? Pointless other than to attempt to obfuscate on your part.

Hey, you brought it up, not me.

parados wrote:
Tico wrote:
You accept Inman's argument without a single question but can't accept the statements of numerous sources concerning Plame being "covert". The point is well made Tico. You only argue with a conclusion when it serves you to do so then you go overboard in your disagreement.

I assume the basis for the conclusion the "leaks" Inman refers to were in fact "leaks," is that the information was disseminated to the public and was confidential. If you are going to question whether the information was (a) disseminated, or (b) confidential, state your question, and we can look into it.

See, that's all I've done .... ask a simple question over a hundred pages ago that's yet to be answered. It's actually quite amusing to see you foaming-at-the-mouth anti-Bush, anti-Rove libbies so upset that I've asked that question, to the point that you can't see straight. Along the way, nearly each of you has incorrectly assumed I've argued that Plame IS NOT a "covert agent." Few have exhibited the cojones to admit the issue has not been definitively established. Those that have done so have my respect.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:54 pm
Well, Tico, do you still question the basis that she was a 'covert agent?'

I know you will argue that this is different than an 'undercover operative' but you're really just splitting hairs, aren't you? Of course, it's difficult to expect a lawyer to do anything else.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:23 pm
Quote:
I assume the basis for the conclusion the "leaks" Inman refers to were in fact "leaks," is that the information was disseminated to the public and was confidential. If you are going to question whether the information was (a) disseminated, or (b) confidential, state your question, and we can look into it.

I question whether anything was: (a.) disseminated since the article makes NO reference to any actual leaks but only claims "leaks."
(b) confidential since the only reference he does make is to a book cleared for publication by the CIA.

Because Inman provides an answer to neither of those questions how can he be "hilighting" anything? To claim "hilight" is a valid term for Inman's column would require you to defend the statement "Michael Moore essentially hilights the way the Saudis were flown out of the country the day after 911." as not being editorial in nature.

Your assumption is that Inman can claim "leaks" but your standard is it would be wrong for anyone to claim "covert" without proving it to the point of an impossibility.

The overwhelming evidence points to Plame being "covert". Because no one here can prove it to your impossible standard doesn't change it. A reasonable person based on the evidence known at this time would conclude that Plame was "covert." You might as well be arguing that no one can prove the sky is blue. You might have a valid technical point but it is nothing but an attempt to place an unreasonable standard for something that is pretty well shown at this point.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:39 pm
SInce when do people on the left of the political, philosophical spectrum NOT consider intent to be important?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:28 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, Tico, do you still question the basis that she was a 'covert agent?'

I know you will argue that this is different than an 'undercover operative' but you're really just splitting hairs, aren't you? Of course, it's difficult to expect a lawyer to do anything else.

Cycloptichorn

What do you suppose they meant by "undercover operative," Cyclops? And if you think it equates with "covert agent," what leads you to that conclusion? Since neither you nor I know what criteria was applied to reach the conclusion that Plame's status was that of an "undercover operative," I do not think it is "splitting hairs" to not jump to the conclusion that it means anything in particular, much less a "covert agent" as that term is defined in 50 USC 426.
0 Replies