Happy Resurrection Sunday 2020! Doing anything special for the holiday?

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 01:43 am
Hi. Happy Resurrection Sunday 2020! I know the world refers to the holiday as "Easter". We Christians don't call it that. That's a pagan term.

Are you folks doing anything special for the holiday?

What about the other Christians in here?

In light on what's going on in the world regarding the Covid-19 crisis as of the time of this post, we Christians are going to celebrate the holiday. We have good reason to.

Jesus died on the cross at Calvary for all of mankind's sins and sicknesses and rose from the dead on the third day.

He died on the cross so that mankind could be on the same level Adam and Eve were before they sinned.

I don't know if certain holiday celebrations were shut down and/or postponed due to the crisis, but we Christians are going to praise and worship the Lord this day.

Parades are probably going to be cancelled.

Please help. Thank you.

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 04:20 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
We Christians don't call it that. That's a pagan term.

Except Christians do use that term

https://www1.cbn.com/devotions/real-meaning-easter
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/what-is-easter-and-why-do-christians-celebrate-this-holiday

To add: "using the name Easter “is not a problem” because “the origin of the word does not mean that the word is bad.” If we want to “be consistent and avoid using [pagan] words,” Christians will also have to find new names for the planets and the days of the week."
https://www.christianity.com/wiki/holidays/what-are-the-pagan-roots-of-easter.html
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 04:26 am
@Rebelofnj,
Christians in my family, Christian friends and other Christians I know don't call it that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 04:30 am
@Rebelofnj,
Hello Rebel. Pardon my rudeness. Are you doing anything special for the holiday?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 04:41 am
@JGoldman10,
Since church service is cancelled, my family is probably going to watch mass on TV.

Our normal Easter dinner is also cancelled, so my family will have a group video call via WhatsApp later in the day. I know my young family members will be painting eggs.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 04:42 am
@Rebelofnj,
I'm going to do what I usually do on Sunday. Have service at home. My pastor's ministry streams sermons online each week.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 04:51 am
Easter egg hunt, lots of chocolate.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 04:51 am
@JGoldman10,
To clarify, I haven't been to church in years and I'm not going to watch any service on TV or online.

The local fire department is going to drive around the neighborhood with the Easter Bunny waving at the kids.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 05:12 am
@Rebelofnj,
You just said you and your family are probably going to watch mass on TV.

That's not a church service?

You and your family can have service at home without going to church and without being online.

I usually put Christian thanksgiving, praise and worship music on, pray and then go into service.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 05:17 am
@izzythepush,
That's for kids. I'm too old for that. I haven't done that since my brother and I were little. Especially since we got Saved.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 05:19 am
@JGoldman10,
I said "Since church service is cancelled, my family is probably going to watch mass on TV."

I did not include myself. Otherwise, I would have said "my family and I..." For personal reasons, I'm not going to be involved with any church service for this Easter Sunday.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 05:24 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. That's your business. Excuse me for misreading your post.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 05:29 am
@JGoldman10,
I was forgetting how incredibly mature you are.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 01:10 pm
I have no plans for the day.
As I recall from years ago, Easter, (or whatever you want to name it) was similar to Christmas. Churches would have an extra service and often a sunrise service on a large acreage. The church services gave people a chance to show off their new dress, hats, suits. Inside the church, the altar would be festooned with lily plants for Easter. A children's choir would sing some song at one or two services. Youth groups took charge of the sunrise service.

Quit church quite a few years ago.
0 Replies

ascribbler

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 07:31 pm
Exeunt.
0 Replies