0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:29 am
Be grateful she loves you that much.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:46 am
Momma Angel wrote:
I propose to you, Wolf, you don't know much about Christianity either, so why not give that the same respect?

Oh, I see, there are more Christians than any others, so, let's attack their beliefs? What kind of justification is that?

You are wrong about me not knowing about Christianity, for in my country, it is required by law that all schools teach Christianity to students. I know the basic tennants of what Christ said. I know Genesis. I know the Ten Commandments (sort of, I think I might have forgotten a few of the less touted ones).

Law requires that all state schools must conduct a morning service of Christian worship, and believe me, I participated. The singing, the praying, the listening to sermons. Of course, I went to a Christian private school, which though exempt from the law, conducted morning services anyway.

Every British child goes through the motions of Christianity, unless they go to a private Islamic school. Even Muslims have to stand through a Christian service, whilst the others sing Christian hymns around them and pray.

Not one of them complains. They merely don't sing. I'm sure they pray, though, because prayer is prayer, right?

You could say that this is the law's fault.

Yes, but who made the law? A Christian did. That is not to say that all Christians are the same as the person who fixed it such that Muslims who go to state schools have to sit through a Christian service.

We are not condemning Christians, though Lord knows, it sounds like it at times. It is the belief in God and whether it is justified, or at least, it should be.

One could equally criticise Islam or Judaism or Hinduism, but these are the minorities and it isn't seen fair to attack a minority. A majority is fair game, somehow.

It isn't right that Christianity is the one scape goat, but it is the oldest religion so far with the most persecution to its name.

Islam is probably catching up thanks to the hare-brained terrorists.

Not sure about Hindus, but I'm sure there's some Hindu violence out there.

Interesting, though. I get this impression that you feel that Christianity is being persecuted beyond belief and that it has come full circle, from being persecuted to being the persecutors to being the persecuted again. I don't see that. I can't see a general attack or criticism on Christianity in society.

More people are rejecting the spiritual side and the paranormal side of religion. They may follow the guidelines for life that Christ set out and reject all else.

I guess, many people see Christianity as the best example of religion out there.

I don't know why they attack Christianity.

I personally do it, because it's the one religion that was fopped on to me by law. I don't hate it. I just don't see it in the way I used to when I was young and I believed there really was a God and a Heaven.

You know, we took it for granted that these things were true back in my younger days, without even questioning it. I didn't even realise that my religious education teacher was trying to ingrain Christianity into my mind, so bored was I with the fact that he used the same teaching material year in, year out.

Anyway, Momma, please don't find offence. I was just trying to find an explanation for this single-minded focus on Christianity, and you know what? I'm not even sure if my explanation was correct. I don't know why we have this preoccupation with Christianity.

You'd think it would be Islam. It's much easier to type, but that would be seen as racist or something.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:14 pm
Wolf Wrote:

Quote:
You'd think it would be Islam. It's much easier to type, but that would be seen as racist or something.

Laughing Ok, I have to throw in a giggle here. My point exactly! If it was Islam being attacked that's racist or something. If it's Christianity being attacked, it's fair game?

Believe me, I do understand about religion being foisted upon you as you were growing up and that is exactly what Christ is against. God has no need to force anything. He is God. If He wanted to make it so, He could make everyone believe in flying purple people eaters. But, He loves us enough to give us a free will to make our own choices.

We take for granted in school that our history teacher knows what they are talking about and they are passing that knowledge along to the students. That is the case, it seems, for everything but religion. And, that is because man wants that proof and God saids it comes with faith.

I can only say this to you, you have been given information. Now, you have to sift through that information and decide what information you believe to be truth.

And believe me, it's not like I don't have questions myself. But God is God and mere man cannot begin to understand Him fully. If I could understand Him fully, He wouldn't be much of a God now would He?

My faith gives me peace, joy, comfort, and rest; the exact things that Jesus promised me.
0 Replies

4mrEd

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 02:58 am
Setanta wrote:
In that case, you ought to have been more specific about your condemnation of those with whom you disagree.

It would be too tedious to quote all the rantings from the Squash Squad. (How thoughtful of you to have changed "God-Squad" to "religionists.")

Setanta wrote:
We do have a member or two who delight in slamming the religionists--me, i personally don't indulge until i've got tired of being told i am a fool, or an idiot, that i don't know enough to comment. At that point, i figure the gloves are off.

A "member or two"? I'm disappointed, Setanta: I would have expected you to be able to count more accurately than that.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 02:45 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I dont belive in God because I cant stop thinking long enough to accept it

Hey thinker,

What does "belive" mean?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:24 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Wolf Wrote:

Quote:

Laughing Ok, I have to throw in a giggle here. My point exactly! If it was Islam being attacked that's racist or something. If it's Christianity being attacked, it's fair game?

Christianity is more racially diverse than the other religions, although Islam does have its fair share of non-Arabic believers.

Quote:
Believe me, I do understand about religion being foisted upon you as you were growing up and that is exactly what Christ is against. God has no need to force anything. He is God. If He wanted to make it so, He could make everyone believe in flying purple people eaters. But, He loves us enough to give us a free will to make our own choices.

Yes, but let's face it, what our school does is no different from what St. Paul did. It's just that what St. Paul did wasn't actually enforced by law.

Quote:
I can only say this to you, you have been given information. Now, you have to sift through that information and decide what information you believe to be truth.

And believe me, it's not like I don't have questions myself. But God is God and mere man cannot begin to understand Him fully. If I could understand Him fully, He wouldn't be much of a God now would He?

My faith gives me peace, joy, comfort, and rest; the exact things that Jesus promised me.

I have sifted through the information and faith gave me no peace, no comfort and no rest.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:08 am
Some valid points, Wolf.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:22 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Wow! Some pretty diverse feelings going on in here.

Can I ask a question, please? I have been reading a lot of these different threads and I have noticed that Christianity seems to be the only "religion", "belief", "what have you" that is consistently being criticized (at least I haven't seen any other specific religion named).

Can someone please explain to me why that is?

Your research is lacking? Let me help you out just a little. Please check out these links and follow a few or the threads.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=587934#587934

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=541808#541808

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=548023#548023

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=583135#583135

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=584408#584408

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=602143#602143

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=653531#653531

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=645746#645746

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=538609#538609

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1318117#1318117
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:30 pm
Well, my research obviously IS lacking! Thank you so much for the links. I should have said, from what I have read. Sorry for the mistake.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:59 pm
You are most welcome Momma Angel. I think that if you can spare the time to read some of those threads you will see many similarities in both the criticism and the defense of the different faiths. You might even see that what people "believe" is more a function of what they were born into than any real truth.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:13 pm
I plan on sitting down and reading them in the morning. That's when I do most of my reading, etc. With my morning coffee of course!
0 Replies