Why do you/don't you believe in God?

4mrEd

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 03:37 pm
I've never felt any molecules in my life. Hence, I don't believe in them.
0 Replies

4mrEd

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 03:51 pm
Seeker wrote:
.....Thanks for the great response everyone!

It's curious, isn't it, that people respond to the God issue as though it were a scorpion. If He doesn't exist, why all the vitriol? I don't believe in leprechauns or gnomes, either, but I don't get my hackles up about those who do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 03:54 pm
The word you want is hackles . . . heckle is a verb describing what you are trying to do here.

This thread has been singularly devoid of vitriol. However, it is understandable how you would wish to paint those with whom you disagree in the most dire and unflattering colors. Doesn't make it so, of course.
0 Replies

4mrEd

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 04:07 pm
Setanta wrote:
The word you want is hackles . . . heckle is a verb describing what you are trying to do here.

This thread has been singularly devoid of vitriol. However, it is understandable how you would wish to paint those with whom you disagree in the most dire and unflattering colors. Doesn't make it so, of course.

Good eye, Setanta! My typing wouldn't earn me a living. As for my supposed "heckling," I was referring not simply to this thread, but to the many here at A2K that in one way or another treat the subject.

Quote:
you would wish to paint those with whom you disagree in the most dire and unflattering colors
Hmmmnnn, that sounds like your own attitude towards this poster.

I was simply asking a question that has always puzzled me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 04:11 pm
In that case, you ought to have been more specific about your condemnation of those with whom you disagree. In my experience, the religionists bring the vitriol on themselves, with their self-righteous pronouncements on others. In these fora, the most common experience is to get a religious ranter, who usually does not know scripture as thoroughly as those with whom they debate, and they often resort to accusations about the character of those who contradict them. We do have a member or two who delight in slamming the religionists--me, i personally don't indulge until i've got tired of being told i am a fool, or an idiot, that i don't know enough to comment. At that point, i figure the gloves are off.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:07 am
I don't believe in God because:

1. I have never seen, felt or heard any evidence of her existence
2. It makes no sense that an ethical creator would have designed a world that inflicts so much needless pain and misery on its inhabitants, and refuses to alleviate suffering
3. Millions of people believe in hundreds of different and mutually exclusive religions. Millions believe in nothing. Millions don't know what to believe. Millions believe whatever they are told. I have no idea which millions are right.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:20 am
I believe in Gnomes because:

1. Things sometimes just go missing

2. They turn up in the most unlikely places (the missing things)

3. Sometimes broken things suddenly work, and the other way around. My xbox was inoperative for some time, but now it works... Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:35 am
Your religious theory is so much hogwash, Cyracuz . . . everyone knows that gremlins are responsible for missing and non-functioning items, but you choose to cavalierly slur all gnomes.

I am so disgusted . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:39 am
4mrEd wrote:
Seeker wrote:
.....Thanks for the great response everyone!

It's curious, isn't it, that people respond to the God issue as though it were a scorpion. If He doesn't exist, why all the vitriol? I don't believe in leprechauns or gnomes, either, but I don't get my hackles up about those who do.

I would, however, be a tad concerned if world leaders and their supporters were consulting books about leprechauns and gnomes for guidance in making policy decisions.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:36 am
patiodog wrote:
I would, however, be a tad concerned if world leaders and their supporters were consulting books about leprechauns and gnomes for guidance in making policy decisions.

Nancy Regan uses to consult with an astrologer. And I assume that Ronnie used to listen to her, at least sometimes.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:24 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Nancy Regan uses to consult with an astrologer. And I assume that Ronnie used to listen to her, at least sometimes.

Yeah? I hear he was a BAD president...

Seeker wrote:
1) I have been moved to tears and incredible feelings by God and seen faith healings and other answers to prayers

2)Ok, if you want my views on the way the world works it's going to take a whole new thread. Forgive me for not discussing this one here!

3) Millions of people across the world who have had no contact with each other all describe the same experiences of God. You read their books or listen to them talking and you keep thinking, Yes, I know what you mean!

1) So you've been to some magic shows and cried. Where does God come into this?

3) This could be explained in many many very plausible ways without referring to God. For example, it could just be that humans have some innate desire for meaning and purpose in their lives, and inventing imaginary friends that tell them what to do helps them feel like they have meaning and purpose. Or it could be that all these people have read the same books as you, and heard of other people's "experiences of God" and convinced themselves that they, too, have experienced God. These seem much more plausible than the idea that there actually is some great big thing in the sky that loves us, don't you think?

People who believe in God often don't even specify what he is - how do you know you believe in him if you don't know what he is?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 05:00 am
I don't believe in gremlins because:

1. I've only seen them in hollywood productions.

2. I've only seen hollywood productions on a screen.

3. I know what's on the screen is not real.

By the same argument I also don't believe in space among other things. Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:44 am
Wow! Some pretty diverse feelings going on in here.

Can I ask a question, please? I have been reading a lot of these different threads and I have noticed that Christianity seems to be the only "religion", "belief", "what have you" that is consistently being criticized (at least I haven't seen any other specific religion named).

Can someone please explain to me why that is?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:10 am
beats me???.........well for myself I dont believe in religion of any sort
is there a 'God' ??? well I dunno

guess we will all find out oneday!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:25 am
KiwiChic wrote:
beats me???.........well for myself I dont believe in religion of any sort
is there a 'God' ??? well I dunno

guess we will all find out oneday!
Ditto
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:45 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Wow! Some pretty diverse feelings going on in here.

Can I ask a question, please? I have been reading a lot of these different threads and I have noticed that Christianity seems to be the only "religion", "belief", "what have you" that is consistently being criticized (at least I haven't seen any other specific religion named).

Can someone please explain to me why that is?

It's easier.

Most of us come from countries where the overwhelming majority are Christians, so the most touted religion and the most common religion is Christianity.

Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, they don't really factor that much because they're in the minority and so they aren't that readily comparible.

I can easily reject a belief of Christianity, because that's what is the most prevalent and that is the belief that was very nearly forced onto me during my younger years. As for the others, I hardly know anything about them and have less access to them, so I can't really say anything about them.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:01 am
I propose to you, Wolf, you don't know much about Christianity either, so why not give that the same respect?

Oh, I see, there are more Christians than any others, so, let's attack their beliefs? What kind of justification is that?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:18 am
I think Wolf is right. It's probably that most of the posters here are from places where Christianity is the religion most prevalent, so that's what we first think of when we think of religion.

That being said, I also think that Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jews, and all the other religions are just as delusional.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:20 am
I will add you to my prayer list.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:22 am
Thanks. My mother has done that too. She says the purpose of her life is to make a believer out of me and she won't rest until that happens. I told her that she might not be going anywhere for a looooong time then. :wink:
0 Replies