Canadians: What is Black History Month like up in Canada?

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 11:06 pm
Hi. I know I'm a little late with this; it's March and of the time of the posting of this, St. Patrick's Day is around the corner, but better late than never. I learned fairly recently from a Canadian friend on another online community that they have Black History Month up in Canada, and it's in February just like in the U.S.

To the Canadian members of this site, what's Canadian Black History Month like?

I know very little about Canadian history, politics and culture.

I am curious - please help. Thank you.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 04:33 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

To the Canadian members of this site, what's Canadian Black History Month like?

I imagine it's probably a bit colder.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 06:28 am
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSwfE12B3q8yx0K_89gCryOXexwyhIB-prGAiRd-oeKk2LcL6iC

That's what Canadia has done for Black History Month--now piss off, go troll a different site.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 05:15 pm
@Setanta,
How am I "trolling"? I didn't even know Black History Month was a thing up in Canada until recently. Until my Canadian friend(s) on another online community site told me about it.

If anyone is trolling it's you.

Bugger off - I don't know too much about history, society and culture outside the U.S. I haven't been in school in decades. Social studies, global studies, American and world history and related ND/or similar courses of study were not my strong suits in school.

You are never too old to learn something new.

I'm Black, I'm curious about stuff like this.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 05:19 pm
How is Black History Month observed and/or celebrated up in Canada?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 08:59 pm
I know how to use search engines. Again I'm asking Canadians on this site what Black History Month is like up in Canada.

I know there are Canadians on this site who can kindly answer the topic question.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 02:55 pm
Canuckian Black History Month
Quote:
Black history in Canada
People of African descent have been a part of shaping Canada’s heritage and identity since the arrival of Mathieu Da Costa, a navigator and interpreter, whose presence in Canada dates back to the early 1600s.

The role of people of African descent in Canada has not always been viewed as a key feature in Canada’s historic landscape. There is little mention that some of the Loyalists who came here after the American Revolution and settled in the Maritimes were people of African descent, or of the many sacrifices made in wartime by soldiers of African descent as far back as the War of 1812.

Few Canadians are aware of the fact that African people were once enslaved in the territory that is now Canada, or of how those who fought enslavement helped to lay the foundation of Canada’s diverse and inclusive society.

Black History Month is a time to learn more about these Canadian stories and the many other important contributions of Black Canadians to the settlement, growth and development of Canada, and about the diversity of Black communities in Canada and their importance to the history of this country.

Recognizing Black History Month
The commemoration of Black History Month dates back to 1926, when Harvard-educated African American historian Carter G. Woodson proposed setting aside a time devoted to honour the accomplishments of African Americans and to heighten awareness of Black history in the United States. This led to the establishment of Negro History Week in 1926. Celebrations of Black history began in Canada also shortly thereafter. During the early 1970s, the week became known as Black History Week. It was expanded into Black History Month in 1976.

In December 1995, the House of Commons officially recognized February as Black History Month in Canada following a motion introduced by the first Black Canadian woman elected to Parliament, the Honourable Jean Augustine. The motion was carried unanimously by the House of Commons.

In February 2008, Senator Donald Oliver, the first Black man appointed to the Senate, introduced the Motion to Recognize Contributions of Black Canadians and February as Black History Month. It received unanimous approval and was adopted on March 4, 2008. The adoption of this motion completed Canada’s parliamentary position on Black History Month.

Can I get the red ribbon please?
0 Replies