who serves whom?

brahmin

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:16 pm
should religion serve man or should it be the other way round?

ie.

should man change himself just so he follows(serves) his religion to the word
or
should humans stretch their religions, to serve/suit them better in their lives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,722 • Replies: 21
No top replies

diagknowz

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:30 pm
Re: who serves whom?
Depends on how far from the truth the religion is. Laughing

But in any case, NOBODY has the right to persecute folks bec. of their religion (and persecution includes limiting their free speech). The only time gov't. should meddle with religion is if, for example, a group were to practice tort..e or child abuse/murder.

(The site won't let me type out the "T-word"---what gives?)
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:39 am
you mean there are "true" religions which needs must be followed to the word, while there are "un true" religions which need not be followed, even by its own followers?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:12 am
Religions can serve mankind (and deities, if any exist) by encouraging people to work to improve their character, make good choices and be more compassionate. Religions that foster hate and intolerance do not serve anyone, god or man.

A person should change to follow religion only if doing so makes him/her a better person. If the religion's demands are unethical, he has no moral obligation to obey its dictates and should try to change them.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 07:26 am
yes ok.

actually i was intending a "egg or chicken" type of general question and see what members think. sorry if i came across as different.

so here goes again -

does (or is) religion (supposed to) serve Man?
or
is it (supposed to be) the other way round?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 07:58 am
Egg or Chicken question, eh? I think I can answer that.

I serve egg and chicken to my family.

Religion serves man ..... to the priests and politicians.

That's what is was designed for, no?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:50 am
So you are saying, religion serves only some men? specifically politicians and priests?

doesn't serves the others, & nor is it supposed to?

and Man? is he supposed to serve religion at all ?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:34 am
Man should burn his book about the world and look at the world itself. Explanations are for those who need them. (wich we all do at times)
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:49 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Man should burn his book about the world and look at the world itself. Explanations are for those who need them. (wich we all do at times)

man should make his 'religion' (by "looking at the world itself", after "burning his book") as he goes along, depending on what suits (serves) him best ?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:24 pm
Religion is not supposed to serve man, nor vice versa.

Religion is the body of practices and beliefs purportedly serving god(s) or a higher spiritual purpose.

In reality, religious practices may be designed to benefit its priests (who consumed the choice meats and first fruits sacrificed to God) and/or maintain control over the population by promising eternal bliss to those who suffer meekly and eternal damnation for anyone who disobeys the dictates of its priests.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:30 pm
so religion is the framework through which man is supposed to serve god/higher spiritual purpose?

man's supposed to serve god? i didnt know !!!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:06 am
Quote:
man should make his 'religion' (by "looking at the world itself", after "burning his book") as he goes along, depending on what suits (serves) him best ?

Isn't that how all religions are made? Why, yes it is.

Man shouldn't make religion. Man should concentrate on living well, not on forming thesis and moral codes for how to do so while slipping slowly but surely into decadence. These codes are never just save for the inventor, to all others it is mere knowledge, information without the weight of experience to make it wisdom. Without the motives that gave birth to the codes the codes themselves are invariably twisted to suit the needs of future generations, all the while justifying their abominations with the initial code. Isn't that pretty much how it is?

I'd say that the farmer, sowing his seeds, and trusting to the forces of nature to salvage his year, is closer to the true message of any religion than the priest babbling about it.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:45 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

Isn't that how all religions are made? Why, yes it is.

no.
look around the world ... you'll see that most are made differently.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:07 am
Could you please elaborate, brahmin?

Looking around was how I came to the conclusion I did the first time. A few pointers towards your view perhaps?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:22 am
you said, "Isn't that how all religions are made?", meaning "doesnt man make religions?"

isnt it?

but the religions that are "made by god" are many.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 12:54 am
brahmin wrote:

Only one of them has proof of being made by God, Brahm: the one where He came down and took on our flesh. :wink:
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:00 am
brahmin wrote:

Only one of them has proof of being made by God, Brahm: the one where He came down and took on our flesh. :wink:
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:05 am
original poster deleted cloned message (manufactured due to cyberspace difficulties) Laughing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 03:26 am
diagknowz, stop repeating yourself. Heard you the first time. Smile

Quote:

Hah! Made by god. All religions claim to be made by god, but it's just another lie. It is always just a set of rules to justify all the shyt they cover.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 05:45 am
Cyracuz wrote:
diagknowz, stop repeating yourself. Heard you the first time. Smile

Quote:

Hah! Made by god. All religions claim to be made by god, but it's just another lie. It is always just a set of rules to justify all the shyt they cover.

well said.

spares me the trouble of replying to the repeater.

(as if something 3 times becomes true.)

but i beg to differ on the "all" bit. some religions put it point-blank-ly that it came out of the heads of humans. thats not to say that those "dont claim to be made by god" religions dont have ****, which they try to cover up.
0 Replies