Academy Awards/ Should It be Cancelled Because of Terrorism?

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 06:32 am
Let me preface this by saying that I am a World Class Worrier. I am concerned that the Academy Awards would be a prime target for a terrorist attack. I had read somewhere that increased security is planned for the event. Despite that, a number of invitees have checked "no" on their R.S.V.P.s

Some time back, I had read that one of the targets that were considered by terrorists was the film community. An attack on Hollywood would be unbelievably psychologically undermining. Here we would have the best of the movie world all together in one room.

IMO, it might be wise to just forego the Awards ceremony this year. I think that we would all survive not having the Oscars this year. Some might say that it would show weakness on the Academy's part to capitulate to fear. I say better safe than sorry.

What is your "take" on this issue?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,839 • Replies: 19
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 11:53 am
Phoenix, on one hand, I would say that it seems a bit crass to host such a spectacle while we are at war, on the other, it might just be the kind of thing we need right now. If we give in to fear, we become targets. Incidentally, my wife is in L.A. right now for an Oscar party. She had a ton of fear, especially about flying, and her layover in Arizona, (Phoenix, as it happens, lol), but she arrived safe and sound, without incident, AND with her luggage intact, and seems to be having a good time. I say go on with it. I won't be watching anyway, as I find the Oscars a total bore, lol. Also, I have a feeling that the terrorists don't really give a crap about Hollywood....they are more interested in bombing transport, military and financial targets. Makes me wonder though if all these movie stars' anti-war protestations aren't more about self-preservation (i.e. perhaps the terrorists will hear this and not bomb us) than about any real political opinion....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 11:55 am
If Paulie Shore would be there, by chance, let's just cancel the security aspect, and on with the show.

But no, I don't think they should cancel. You gotta just live on.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 12:16 pm
I think that cancelling the awards would be quite demoralizing. More people would read the article about why it was cancelled than would care to read who won the awards.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 02:09 pm
Seems kinda like giving in to the worst of everyone's fears if the show is cancelled. I agree it's somewhat crass, but it's a real coming together of a wide variety of artists. There's freedom for ya.

Plus, on a practical note, NCAA games are probably a heckuva lot harder to do effective security for, and they're going ahead with March Madness. I say, go for it. No sense hiding under one's bed. Not at this time - I may change my mind, but right now I think putting our heads in the sand gives off a fear vibe that we don't want to be emitting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 03:32 pm
Cav, good luck to your wife. Sounds fun.

I tend to disagree about terrorist targets, though. The WTC was a financial target, to be sure, but I think overwhelmingly it was a SYMBOL of the USA's financial might. Hollywood is a pretty powerful symbol of America's cultural imperialism. And the Oscars are a hugely watched live event, too, so whatever would happen would be seen by the world in real time.

I agree, with Phoenix, therefore, that it's a plum target, and that worries me a great deal. (I am a World Class Worrier myself...) However I don't think it should be canceled, I just think they should make it as secure as they possibly can. A successful terrorist attack would surely be demoralizing (beyond the tragedy itself), but canceling would be demoralizing too, and one is only a possibility.

It's a risk, to be sure, and I wouldn't want to be there.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 04:34 pm
The probabilities of terrorist attacks are greatly exaggerated these days. My use of "greatly" is, in my opinion, an understatement.

I don't want to demean anyone's fears, after all illogical fears (spiders) are human nature but there is little cause for concern. Even if security in his country remained at pre-9/11 levels I would still rate the probabilities of aan attack as low. As it stands I say keep up the security and don't cancel your life.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 06:55 pm
I understand from my contacts that the show will go on but it may be the dullest Oscar ceremony in history.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:00 pm
Lightwizard- Will they give an "Oscar" to the producers of the Dullest Show in Academy Award History? Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 08:40 pm
Are the folk at the Oscars really the best?

I mean, I don't want them killed, or anything, generally, but the best? Hmmmmmmmmmm....
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:31 pm
I don't think it's wise to cancel anything because that's just what the terrorists want, to disrupt our lives in such a way as to render us powerless.

We can't stop living, the show must go on.

Which is the very reason the powers that be want to rebuild the WTC, a show of strength and courage, the eagle has risen again!

Any fool can fly a plane into a building, but not any fool can be brave enough to live.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:47 pm
Good point, Mom.....but I still think it's ridiculous that the National Guard is being brought in to protect this gathering. They have better things to do.

I commend Will Smith for declining to participate in the activities ~ I don't know his exact quote, but it was in regards to the war.

Life does go on, but it seems kind of trivial and petty that an award ceremony will be taking place while our military places their lives on the line to protect all of us, regardless of our race, religion or sex.

Just my humble opinion.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 11:19 pm
Rae<

I don't remember asking the military to place their lives on the line for me[/i].

In fact, I am against all wars for pacifistic reasons.

Thus, I think the Oscar ceremony should proceed. It is usually one of the top-rated shows all across the planet.
We must bring some sense of continuity back to our lives. We must not live in fear.

The envelope, please . . .
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 12:53 am
It should be cancelled due to poor taste, period.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 06:05 am
dlowan-

Quote:
Are the folk at the Oscars really the best?

Maybe, maybe not. I have always considered the Academy Awards a media circus designed to pat some high maintenance, ego driven people on the back. But the fact remains that the people who are on hand at the Academy Awards, are those who are currently at the forefront of the film business.

The people who attend the event are not only actors, but producers, directors, and technical people. If there were a serious attack, and there were many deaths & injuries, it would have a devastating psychological blow in the US. Over here, people LOVE movies.

Another issue that some people have addressed that I didn't before, is the issue of appropriateness. Dlowan, I don't know if you have ever seen an Academy Awards show, but to me, it is the epitome of tacky. That is not to say that from time to time, I haven't enjoyed them myself.

I understand that the Academy is directing presenters to go easy on the glitz and glitter, and many people have modified their speeches. IMO, it is not appropriate to have a huge, glittery, overblown party when our guys are dying across the world. I think that the winners should be announced in newspaper stories, period!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 09:10 am
Louis B. Mayer created the Oscars for the purpose of self-congratulations and hyperbole (need we consider the source?)
There is politics in everything we do -- my sister is going through management, personnel and union politics in her government job right now. Family politics can be some of the worse (or family dipolomacy, whatever you want to call it). I think the argument is with the politics, not the artistic stature of those involved. Oscar does get it right sometimes and the right film or person gets the award. It's a consensus of those in the industry, not a popular vote like "The People's Award" which is genrally given to the wrong movie, popular only because it panders to the lower levels of appreciation. The show must go on.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 09:15 am
The show, BTW, has been regularly nominated for an Emmy and won it a few times. Why all those talented people can't come up with something new and classy is beyond me. Too often it looks like an array of stand-up comedians with one-liners.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 11:08 am
For those wishing to view this year's Oscarcast, tune in tonight to your ABC affiliate at 8:30 p.m.(EST).
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 12:13 pm
Well, everything went off without any problems. It was refreshing to watch the Academy Awards considering the 24/7 non-stop coverage of the war on television.

ABC wanted to cancel but the Academy persevered. (see related article below)

Oscars tops Nielsens despite low viewership

DAVID BAUDER, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Originally published Wednesday, March 27, 2002

NEW YORK -- The Academy Awards telecast gave ABC a rare weekly win in the ratings, but even then the news wasn't as good as it could have been.

The Oscars drew a 25.4 Nielsen Media Research rating on Sunday, the lowest-rated Academy Awards telecast ever. Last year's show had the previous low record.

Still, the awards were seen by 41.8 million people. It's on target to be the highest-rated entertainment event on TV this year, as it usually is, and gave ABC the platform to promote new programs...".
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 11:48 pm
War is as American as the Oscars.
0 Replies