Running shoes

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:56 am
As part of my ongoing journey to fitness...no really.. I thought Id enquire about what type of running shoes would be the best to buy.

Does money always reflect quality?
Does brand name always mean best?

What do yuo recomend.Im looking to spend around £50.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,055 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 12:24 pm
I recommend Ryka for women. Ryka is the only shoe brand that I am aware of that uses a last shaped for women. Most shoe manufacturers build women's shoes on a small man's last. I don't know if Ryka is available in the UK, but it's worth the effort to find them.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 01:30 am
Soucony is good for your feet. In Canada the cheap ones are still pretty decent on your feet. I'm not sure about women's though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:20 am
Bottom line, the running shoes have to feel "right" on your particular feet. I once bought a pair of Saucony, and they were just "wrong". I gave them away, when they were practically new.

My doctor is a marathon runner. He swears by New Balance. I bought a pair, and they are wonderful.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 12:13 pm
I've much more experience with walking shoes than running shoes, but fit is way more important than design. Identical size designations give greatly differing fits from one manufacturer to another. Some attempt to correct for pronation; some do not. SAS fits my foot perfectly, Reebock doesn't come close. The combination of fit and comfort in Spira works best for me.

You're going to have to try on a lot of shoes, and with luck, the best won't be the most expensive. £50 should do nicely.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 12:21 pm
I used to read Runner's World magazine. They had two issues a year with charts of descriptions of the pros and cons of different running shoes. People have different kinds of feet, and any given good shoe brand will have different shoes for those types. Nike Air Max, for example, while good for my particular feet, might be wrong for yours.

It is hard to find a good running shoe store, in that the ones in malls often have clerks that don't know much about feet or running.

I'll look and see if I can find any useful articles on google for
understanding the differences.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 12:29 pm
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-52-167-0-4615,00.html

Here's a good link about types of feet and shoes for them.
0 Replies