Stealing Personals From The U.S. Postal Box

gollum

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 07:00 am
If a person steals a check I have written from the U.S. Postal Box, he needs to negotiate it somewhere (e.g., the bank where he has an account).

I believe that bank would require an ID from him.

When I report the theft, can they nab him using the bank's ID information?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 504 • Replies: 7
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 09:51 am
@gollum,
It would be difficult for the thief to cash a check that you have written to another person. Is that your concern?

Call your bank and do a Stop Order on the check.

gollum

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 01:07 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY-

Thank you.

It did not happen to me.

I have read in the newspapers about it happening to other people.

I guess the thief would not engage in this practice unless it generated cash for him.

So where does the typical thief deposit the stolen check? Does the depository record his identity information?

If the thief alters the name of the payee and then his bank pays the check anyway, who bears the loss? Him? The last bank to endorse the check? The first bank to endorse his check?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 01:58 pm
@gollum,
We had a spate of mailbox thefts last year. The thieves use the bank information on your checks and info from your bills to steal your identity. We now take all our outgoing mail directly to the post office.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2020 09:27 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

PUNKEY-

So where does the typical thief deposit the stolen check?

I think the typical thief doesn't bother with cheques, it's an opportunist crime. Most fraudsters are after people's debit/credit card details.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2020 09:28 am
@glitterbag,
We have pillar boxes over here, they seem fairly secure. It's either that or the post office, post workers do not take post from people's houses over here, they just deliver.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2020 01:51 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

If a person steals a check I have written from the U.S. Postal Box, he needs to negotiate it somewhere (e.g., the bank where he has an account).

No. Ever hear of check cashing stores like Payomatic and other places that offer pay day loans? They exist and they are often have sketchy reputations with less regulations than banks.

Quote:
I believe that bank would require an ID from him.

You literally have never heard of fake ids? Really?

Quote:
When I report the theft, can they nab him using the bank's ID information?

If you report the theft, the best thing for the bank to do is to cancel the check [PERIOD].

Plus, here's more context which basically sinks your thesis.
Stolen Check Laws
Quote:
Federal Laws
There are no federal laws that regulate a bank’s handling of stolen checks. The responsibility for legislating banking laws pertaining to check theft is left to each state. However, there are laws related to a bank’s liability when a stolen check is presented within the Uniform Rules for Collection (URC). These rules are administered and published by the International Chamber of Commerce, and issues related to bank liability regarding stolen checks are found in ICC Publication No. 522. Article 22 of this publication states that the presenting bank is responsible for ensuring that the check appears to be correct and complete, but is not responsible for the authenticity of the signature of the person presenting the check or her authority to do so.

Reimbursement Laws
The UCC, originally published in 1952, was a collaborative effort by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws to come up with a set of standards to regulate interstate commerce. These standards were never intended to be laws. Rather, they were intended to be informative guidelines to assist the states in establishing their own codes and laws pertaining to banking practices. Article 4 of the UCC addresses all bank transactions involving collections and issuance of funds. A bank’s responsibilities in these situations are clearly defined in Subsection 4-406. The depositor bank (holder of the account) must exercise “ordinary care” to ensure that all identification is valid before cashing the check. It is up to the customer (account holder) to notify the bank that a check is invalid or that it has been stolen before the funds are released. Otherwise, the bank is under no obligation to reimburse the customer the lost funds unless it can be proven that “ordinary care” was not taken.

gollum

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2020 05:51 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan-

Thank you.
0 Replies