Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 02:17 pm
Hello. Does anyone here ever get credit card checks in the mail, with a notice giving directions indicating that you are supposed the return the check with the type of Credit Card desired and credit card number as given on the check, in the return envelope, to the address on the check? There are a bunch of numbers on the fromt and back of the check-which number on the check is the credit card number?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 26,142 • Replies: 59
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:11 pm
Never heard of this one.
I can't quite make out the angle, but I'm sure there is one.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:15 pm
I'll give you the name of the company the crdeit card offer came from.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:38 pm
Preferred Cardholder Division
New Visa and Mastercard Department
Credit Card Protection Agency
Metro Business Center
4501 Forbes Blvd
Lanham Md 20797-0668
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:40 pm
Do you own a shredder? If so, use it. If not, buy one...
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:46 pm
Aren't credit Card numbers usually 12 -digits long?
I called the company number, and I get and automated response-and you cant get to speak to an operator.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:47 pm
Who would you advise addressing with this inquiry? My local bank?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:53 pm
I wasn't really aware of any relationship between visa and mastercard. Actually, they're fairly stiff competitors. Mastercard seems to be winning.

12 digits is right for master/vist. Amex uses 15.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 04:16 pm
Should I write a letter to the company and ask them, with the check or without the check?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 05:10 pm
Dunno. Is this a card company with which you have a relationship. If so, I get those from time to time, myself. The hook there is that you present them with a check in the amount of something like $10.00, which is applied to your first months fee for credit life. If this is the case, returning the check would be equilivant to signing up for the service. I suggest you don't do this. First, it is sleezy and deceptive marketing, of which, I'm not a big fan. Second, the rate is not only outrageous, it is pegged to current charges on which you would not normally pay interest. Third, and finally, if you are dead, disabled, or laid off from work, it does not pay your balance. It makes the absolute minimum payment required under your agree with the company.

By the way, TANSTAAFL stands for "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch." Nobody is sending you free money without a reason.

I know of one exception to the above rule; sometimes The Wall Street Journal will send you a nice, crisp one dollar bill, which you are free to keep if you fill out the little form explaining why you are not renewing your subscription. If you don't fill out the form and don't return the dollar, maybe the send Vito Corleone. Or whatever.
0 Replies

Giveit2me57

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
Hello
Hi. I just received the same thing from Preferred Cardholder Division. Is there anyway we can report this guy? Have people actually become victims of this particular crime?
0 Replies

Billiam

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:19 pm
I just today received this same offer, the 3.25 check and all. I've been pestered by this company for years, perhaps over 10 years for their offers usually the same for CCprotection insurance and a few other frills. But NEVER have they offered or suggested there is a card I would receive.

I don't know, this company under the same name has been in business a long time and in the same location that I know of, same address for if I'm not mistaken up to 15 years or more.

I did once accept their ccp plan a long time ago. Now, Lanham, MD is a suburb of Washington, DC. I don't know why they would try to pull something like this as this is an offer not from a usual scam state such as those offers out of Georgia, Nevada, NY or California and sometimes Oregon and SD or Utah.

I find it really hard but one never knows this company would pull something off for so many years in the shadow of the FTC, and all the other federal bureaucratic agencies very nearby.

I used to get their offers as I've said, but haven't since my credit got really bad a few years ago, and it's now going back on hopefully a little upswing. Something wants me to believe and fall for this since I'd welcome a new cc, I've had one and only one visa active for a couple of years that's going nowhere and I recently got a new (fee filled but good potential visa if I keep it up which I am) because the offer was better. It's also unsecured but has a lot of fees but increases are the whole concept of this card.

I was actually excited but after reading this I'm glad I didn't deposit it for the free 30 trial that would result in 89$ (my offer says) after the trial.
I knew I had to think about it a little more and wanted to check it out on the web to see what I can find about the company, it seems too good to be true that now their traditional offers now include a credit card "preapproved" with no deposit.

As I said this company has been in business for a long time, and I know where Forbes Blvd is, last time I went by there it's a big corporate office park around many solid companies.

But I still don't know, I've never taken their ccp but I'm tempted to now for the card. I've got to find out first what card and through who they are going to send it to me. One thing, it does say I'm "pre approved" however then they turn around and say in the benefit package they send the application. I guess that's for legal verification and patriot act validation of identity but I"ll admit I'm leary and going to find out as much as I can and let you all know. I know both Maryland and neighboring Virginia have tough laws about these type things, there is a pretty legimate Capital One bank in Richmond that is worldwide. Key Savings used to offer secured cards out of Maryland years ago but now they were bought out and absorbed into something else. They did it in the early 90s and 80s when secured cards were a new thing and that market has really evolved away from that, so Key stopped but Capital One is bigger than ever.

Please give me your comments!
0 Replies

Billiam

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:32 pm
Re: Preferred Cardholder division et al CCPA
I found some info on this company or division thereof. If anyone remembers a company named Encore, or Encore Marketing this looks to be a division of it, the "Preferred Cardholder Division".

They are at the same address on Forbes Blvd, Lanham, MD 20706

They've been in business since 1978.

Encore always had these membership packages, a long time ago I deposited one of their little checks and I don't remember what happened but at that time it was for just that registereing cards only and a small monthly fee to be able to replace them for you quickly and cut them off from thieves. Technology has changed now. So now they have probably branched out beyond packages which you will see for health, travel, etc into credit card database info. It seems, since they are in an area full of this database sources linked to the bureaus and/or government and are and have been in the Credit Reporting business themselves and have access to databases like with Experian which this offer does offer a free Credit report and score.

I'm still putting this altogether, but haven't decided what I'll do without further research but I'm getting there. Below look for yourself at the website.

This could be a sign our credit or fico scores are getting noticed again positively but of course beware of come ones and traps. However, this may not be one but why do they have to be so covert about it? It really makes one wonder, but they are in cahoots with the allure of credit through reporting and knowing when new credit cards are afoot elsewise why would they want your new business?.

Over the years, as i said earlier, they always have made some offers, it's just that this is a better one or at least at first glance appears to be. But we shall see!

Here is the website, although it doesn't talk about the Visa/MasterCard credit card offer, but it gives the full phone numbers and personnel names et al. The company has many divisions.

We can start here: This may be legit.

http://www.encoremarketing.com/corporate/service.htm
0 Replies

crzychik

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 01:28 pm
ok, i just got the same offer today. im clueless about it. it just talks about giving me $600.00 in free groceries, saving 40% on thousands of name brand items, $1000.00 in savings from home depot, wal-mart, rite aid and places like that. i thought about depositing the check since im trying to work on getting good credit. this sounds way too good to be true but i get a feeling to not trust these ppl at all.

joanna
0 Replies

crzychik

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 01:32 pm
ok, i just got the same offer today. im clueless about it. it just talks about giving me $600.00 in free groceries, saving 40% on thousands of name brand items, $1000.00 in savings from home depot, wal-mart, rite aid and places like that. i thought about depositing the check since im trying to work on getting good credit. this sounds way too good to be true but i get a feeling to not trust these ppl at all.

joanna
0 Replies

crzychik

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 01:32 pm

joanna
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 04:59 pm
crzychik--

Read the fine print. What's in it for Big Daddy?

If they are sending you a check to deposit, once you endorse that check and draw the money you are responsible for repayment. How much interest is Big Daddy going to charge you?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:46 pm
Oops! I just cashed a check from Chase. Well, the interest is 3.9% and I opened a cd at 1.98. Poor man's line of credit, sort of, and Chase and I have been together for a decade.

I did understand the terms and conditions at the outset.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:52 am
Is Creditcorp a legitimate company? If I called them at the number I found on-line and asked about an offer I responded to, they will help me out?
0 Replies

RPSoong

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 05:38 am
It is just too late for me! I've already deposit the check as I wanted to cancel their service in the 30 trial period. How can I cancel the service now? I don't even have their phone number.
0 Replies