2020 Oscar Nominations

engineer

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 08:18 am
@McGentrix,
I'm with you on that one. I thought the acting was fine, but it's not high on my 2019 list.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 08:38 am
@McGentrix,
Having just seen 1917, I would disagree.

Visual Effects is more than using believable CGI. Making a film appear as one take across several battles is impressive on a technical level.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 10:08 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 11:25 am
@McGentrix,
I can't seen the linked video (I'm at work), but going through the video creator Doc Ido's channel, they have made A LOT of videos about Alita: Battle Angel.

Their past 22 videos are all about Alita, and at least 60 videos in the past year are about the film. Nearly all their videos are about Alita: Battle Angel. Even their Twitter account is the same.

For a channel claiming to be about box office analysis and reviews, it is not doing a good job.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 12:25 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Yes, it is a very slanted Youtuber, but the analysis of the Visual Effects of 1917 are very good.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 12:59 pm
@McGentrix,
I'll try to see the video at a later time, but going through a quick skim of the video (with captions on), it seems Doc Ido has not even seen 1917. They are focusing on the footage in the trailer; normally the CGI and visual effects are not 100% finalized in trailers. The first trailer of Alita: Battle Angel is a major example, which had Alita's original eye design before changes.

It appears Alita was shortlisted for the Visual Effects nomination, along with Cats, Captain Marvel, and Terminator: Dark Fate.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/oscars-2020-shortlists-doc-international-makeup-hairstyling-more-1262916/item/visual-effects-1263132

0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2020 10:31 am
@McGentrix,
Having seen the video, the creator is very upset that Alita was subbed at all, and has plans to have a Alita Sequel banner flying above the Oscar ceremony. The fandom for the film is odd, to say the least.

Also, his analysis only focused on the use of CGI, even though visual effects is not only about CGI. He has a odd barometer on what he considers horrible. When I saw the film, I didn't notice any of the "mistakes" he talks about (likely they were fixed after the trailer was released). I was invested in the story, hoping that Scofield can make it across the battlefield to complete his mission.
0 Replies