How do I connect to the internet on my laptop without a modem?

Sat 11 Jan, 2020 04:42 am
Hi. For this past holiday season (2019-2020) I received a new laptop as a belated Christmas gift.

I have never used a laptop before. Most of my life I have used desktop computers. All that came with my laptop is an adapter.

When I went to turn it on and tried doing a search in Google Chrome it said "no internet connection".

How do I connect to the internet with it?

Do I have to connect it to a modem, or do I set it up for a wireless connection?

If I don't need a modem then how do I tell my laptop I want to set it up for a wireless connection? What prompts do I follow?

I think someone told me I have to get an Ethernet cable and attach it to the laptop so I can connect to the internet.

Another person said I could connect using WIFI.

I don't know what to do. Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 4,224 • Replies: 10
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Sat 11 Jan, 2020 04:59 am
Specifics about your laptop might be helpful.

The connection to wifi is usually in the settings.

BUT you need to understand: wifi has to be paid for by someone. If you don't have it in your home (and if you're asking a lot of questions about how to connect, I am guessing that you don't), then you will need to either buy your own (contact your cable company; that's often the easiest way to do so) or connect to a free, non-password protected wifi. The chance of free wifi in your area is probably small. The chance of it being at all speedy is virtually zero.

Wifi is a monthly charge. Ours is password-protected because it slows down our connection if someone gloms onto our wifi. This is likely to be true for any public wifi in your area.

Buy your own wifi and protect it with a password.
JGoldman10

Sat 11 Jan, 2020 07:57 am
@jespah,
Hi. I will ask the person who gave me the laptop what to do. I'll get back to you on specifics later.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Sat 11 Jan, 2020 08:48 am
Many restaurants and coffee shops offer free wifi, like Starbucks.. They provide the password.

Go to Network Connection to see the choices of wifi carriers and see if you can get on.
JGoldman10

Sat 11 Jan, 2020 09:19 am
@PUNKEY,
Is there another way I can connect to the Internet on my laptop without a modem? I don't want to have to pay for WiFi.

How do I set up my laptop for a wireless connection?
seac

Sat 11 Jan, 2020 10:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
I assume your laptop has a built in modem for wifi, most do. An easy way to test it would be to go to a place with free wifi service, like your public library. The library will tell you their user name and your password which is something simple as part of your phone number or something. There is a icon on the startup toolbar below the screen that lists all the active wifi in your vicinity, click on that which the library told you.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 13 Jan, 2020 10:09 am
@jespah,
Hi Jespah. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. It's powered by Windows. I don't know what the OS is specifically. Hope this helps.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 13 Jan, 2020 01:35 pm
@jespah,
My laptop is also powered by Windows 10.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 13 Jan, 2020 03:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Is there another way I can connect to the Internet on my laptop without a modem? I don't want to have to pay for WiFi.

How do I set up my laptop for a wireless connection?

If you do not want to pay for wifi - then you will need to go to some public place that offers "free wifi" - not too many places (like starbucks, mcdonalds and similar) would like you to just come in and use it - they would expect you to buy something while using the wifi.

The one place you might find success without buying anything is the public library.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Mon 13 Jan, 2020 03:55 pm
Hi J, You can use your phone’s mobile data to connect another phone, tablet or computer to the Internet. Sharing a connection this way is called tethering or using a hotspot.
Most Android phones can share mobile data by Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or USB.

And before you ask... Navigate to Settings > Wireless & networks >Tethering & portable hotspot > Portable Wi-Fi hotspot. Choose Configure Wi-Fi hotspot to set a name, security setting, and password for your hotspot, then tap Save.

- FIXED
Linkat

Mon 13 Jan, 2020 04:01 pm
@Tryagain,
Just remember this isn’t free either... it will cost you data minutes unless you pay for unlimited data.
0 Replies