Three religions

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 02:25 am
Hi everybody, I don't often write in this forum, but I have this inquiry that

I hope find my answer here; aren't Jewish and Arab Muslims cousins?!.

Shouldn't Christians, Jews, and Muslims have the same God, have books,

have prophets?, so why the fight and killing?

I know it's an old question, but I need convincing answer if there is one. I

also know that Muslims and Christians live together peacfully in some

countries.

I hope that I didn't do a mistake askin this question.

Thank you guys
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,279 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:30 am
navigator, good morning, and of course you didn't make a mistake asking this question, because it is a good one.

First let me say that the Semitic language is common to both Arabs and Jews, ergo the similarities.

For further study:

http://www.factmonster.com/spot/israel1.html
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:40 am
Even within Christianity there are countless sects and movements that cannot come to terms. The division between catholic and protestant christianity is the greatest, I think.

All the religions are remnants and fragments of something older, you can hear it in the words all the way from Omm, "the world being as one" to Amen, "let it be so". This, I know, is far fetched.

But what is not far fetched is that Jesus is a prophet in Islam. He is not a very important character in the religion, but he does appear in the Koran.

Modern religion is such a mix of fable and history, both modern and ancient, that if it was a tree all the branches would have grown together into a stump.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 04:39 am
Re: Three religions
navigator wrote:
Hi everybody, I don't often write in this forum, but I have this inquiry that

I hope find my answer here; aren't Jewish and Arab Muslims cousins?!.

Shouldn't Christians, Jews, and Muslims have the same God, have books,

have prophets?, so why the fight and killing?

I know it's an old question, but I need convincing answer if there is one. I

also know that Muslims and Christians live together peacfully in some

countries.

I hope that I didn't do a mistake askin this question.

Thank you guys

Don't know. Why don't you ask the Protestants and Catholics? There was killing between them going on for centuries and they're both Christians! Maybe diversity and ignorance of the benefits of diversity is the key here.

Perhaps we would make good Daleks.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 06:42 am
The question is a valid one. Since the three religions are branches of the same tree why can't they get along. The answer is simple. One of the primary messages of religion is intolerance. Intolerance and hatred of those that do not believe as they do.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 02:09 pm
au1929 wrote:
Since the three religions are branches of the same tree

strangely, some or the other secondary abrahamic religion (or the followers thereof) has been on at least one side of almost every major carnage in the world !!!!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 02:35 pm
Brahmin wrote
Quote:
strangely, some or the other secondary abrahamic religion (or the followers thereof) has been on at least one side of almost every major carnage in the world !!!!

That is true about religion in general. Religion has been the spark that ignited many, if not most, of the worlds conflagrations. Intolerance breeds conflict and that is religions greatest commodity
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 02:42 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brahmin wrote
Quote:

That is true about religion in general. Religion has been the spark that ignited many, if not most, of the worlds conflagrations. Intolerance breeds conflict and that is religions greatest commodity

sorry i beg to differ.

the instances where TWO non-abrahamic religions have fought OVER THEIR RELIGION and caused a large carnage wounld'nt run into 2 digits.

there's almost always been AT LEAST one secondary abrahamic religion involved.

so intolerance not true about religion in general - true about religions of only one particular kind.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:29 am
In the perspective of history, Judaism has not been murdering people for the last 1900 years or so.
Christianity largely stopped murdering people about 100 years or so ago (Yes, the Nazis were descendants of Chrisitianity, but we're talking about religious policy here).
Islam has never stopped murdering people.
Up until about 150 years? ago, Hinduism simply shifted its murderous ways to ritualistic sacrifice as opposed to conquest by the sword.
All religions, and indeed, all cultures and nationalities, have indeed promoted death and destruction at one point or another.
As far as I can see, Islam is the only religion currently practicing and promoting this kind of barbarism....
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 11:33 am
Moishe3rd wrote:
In the perspective of history, Judaism has not been murdering people for the last 1900 years or so.
Christianity largely stopped murdering people about 100 years or so ago (Yes, the Nazis were descendants of Chrisitianity, but we're talking about religious policy here).
Up until about 150 years? ago, Hinduism simply shifted its murderous ways to ritualistic sacrifice as opposed to conquest by the sword.
All religions, and indeed, all cultures and nationalities, have indeed promoted death and destruction at one point or another.
As far as I can see, Islam is the only religion currently practicing and promoting this kind of barbarism....

firstly i never said jews murdered anyone ever.

nazis were christians, as were the guys who carried out the inquisiton in europe and in india, and so were also the guys who committed the genocide in north and south america and australia and new zealand and uprooted the native religions and cultures and forced christianity on them, by hook, crook or left hook.

secondly hindus never convert anyone, in any way. one is born a hindu or not. sacrifice forms 1/1000th part of the entire gamut of hindu rituals and rites.

i maintain - its only the SECONDARY abrahamic religions - that have killed people by the millions just cos those people were of a different faith.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 02:10 pm
brahmin wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:

nazis were christians, as were the guys who carried out the inquisiton in europe and in india, and so were also the guys who committed the genocide in north and south america and australia and new zealand and uprooted the native religions and cultures and forced christianity on them, by hook, crook or left hook.

secondly hindus never convert anyone, in any way. one is born a hindu or not. sacrifice forms 1/1000th part of the entire gamut of hindu rituals and rites.

i maintain - its only the SECONDARY abrahamic religions - that have killed people by the millions just cos those people were of a different faith.

I wasn't being contentious here, but the fact is (and I am an Orthodox Jew), Judaism was not quite as enlightened, from a 21st century perspective, 2,000 years ago, as it is now. There was a lot of fratricidal homicide going on back then, not to mention conquests, etc.
I was merely trying to place into historical perspective the various barbarisms of the various religions. My main point was that Islam is the only one of these religions currently practicing this kind of barbaric homicide...
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 03:26 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
brahmin wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:

I wasn't being contentious here, but the fact is (and I am an Orthodox Jew), Judaism was not quite as enlightened, from a 21st century perspective, 2,000 years ago, as it is now. There was a lot of fratricidal homicide going on back then, not to mention conquests, etc.
I was merely trying to place into historical perspective the various barbarisms of the various religions. My main point was that Islam is the only one of these religions currently practicing this kind of barbaric homicide...

right then we were talking past each other.

i meant to say no matter how much jews fought amongst themselves or with moabites, amelekites, medianites and such like - they never really put other to the sword to force their religion on others or because they dont like the other guys religion. all (or most) in self defence or just normal fight between 2 people. if you are telling em judaism wasnt as enlightened back 2000 years ago i wont disagree with you and not blame judaism either. they cant be expected to - they come from a tribe - fighting fir its survival with other tribes in a harsh enviornment - and not a civilization, and some hard elements are bound to remain, all the more so if you come from one of the roughest part of the world (for eg, if buddhism came from the mongolian or uzbeg tribe, and was founded on the bad lands of sub sahara, i very much doubt it would be a religion of "not-killing-living-beings"....everyone is a child of the enviornment and way of life - which could be tribal or settled-by-a-river or in between) and not some fertile river bed. as their interaction grew, so did their er.. "softness".

yes islam could be the only one still preacticing, and i never disagreed and never said that christians still have a few inquisitions going.

what i said is that either of these 2 secondary abrahamic religions have been on one or both sides of almost all large scale religious carnage. despite the fact that their parent religion never killed much (or at all).

prove me wrong.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:03 pm
Moishe is wrong..

The trick is he is using terms like "murder" and "barbaric homicide". He of course can define these terms anyway he would like to support his view that his religion is superior to the others.

Jews and Christians have both killed civilians in the past 100 years. Whether these killings were justified is a matter of predjudice.

The formation of the state of Israel was marked by barbarism by both sides. Entire villages were emptied and the inhabitants who had been living there for centuries just simply disappeared, and there is no real doubt that many were killed.

Each person will claim that his or her religion is somehow more enlightened than the others. But we all have blood on our hands from the past century.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:20 pm
israel is innocent.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:59 am
eBrown
I find it ludicrous that you equate Israel a nation that was established to provide a homeland and a haven for a people that Christianity has done it's best to eradicate for over 1500 years. To the murderous and barbaric actions employed by Christianity to spread it's gospel and tentacles throughout the world for at least that period of time.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:52 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brahmin wrote
Quote:

Why then do you show such little tolerance since you profess no religion?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:16 pm
real life
Do you expect me to tolerate prejudice, murder, war, massacre and genocide as do you believers?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:11 pm
au1929 wrote:
real life
Do you expect me to tolerate prejudice, murder, war, massacre and genocide as do you believers?

Yeah go ahead and broadbrush all religious folk. In your mind they are the source of all evil in the world.

So, tell me, what religion was actively practiced by:

Stalin

Mao

Pol Pot

Lenin

Ho Chi Minh

Idi Amin

Hitler

and we could go on.

Spare us your Tolerance sermons until you show some.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:25 pm
real life wrote:

Why then do you show such little tolerance since you profess no religion?

was this by any chance aimed at me ?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:29 pm
If it were, his list would have included Mahatma Ghandi.
0 Replies