Nun Exorcised, dies on cross

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:34 am
I must say, I find most things religious distasteful, particularly the ones that are hurtful. I cannot help but believe that if there were a god, none of it would be allowed in its name.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:33 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I must say, I find most things religious distasteful, particularly the ones that are hurtful. I cannot help but believe that if there were a god, none of it would be allowed in its name.

An eminently ponderable point. Well said, edgar.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:17 pm
The conviction is in..

Plus, there's a picture.

Quote:
Priest jailed for exorcism death

BBC News
Monday, 19 February 2007

A Romanian priest has been jailed for 14 years for conducting an exorcism that led to the death of a nun who he believed was possessed by devils.
Irina Cornici, 23, died after being starved and chained to a cross at a secluded convent in the north-east.

The ritual in 2005 was led by Daniel Petru Corogeanu, 31, the priest at the Holy Trinity convent in Tanacu village.

He and four nuns were convicted of manslaughter. The nuns got jail terms ranging from five to eight years.

Nicoleta Arcalianu got eight years, while Adina Cepraga, Elena Otel and Simona Bardana were given five-year sentences.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42589000/jpg/_42589511_priest_203_body.jpg
The priest, Daniel Petru Corogeanu

All the defendants plan to appeal against the verdict in a case which has shocked Romania.

The Orthodox Church, which described the Tanacu incident as "abominable", has promised reforms, including psychological tests for those seeking to enter monasteries.

It banned Corogeanu from the priesthood and excommunicated the four nuns.

In 1999, when the Vatican issued its first new guidelines since 1614 for driving out devils, it urged priests to take modern psychiatry into account in deciding who should be exorcised.

After hearing the sentence, Corogeanu said: "We will appeal and hope that it will succeed. We didn't expect this sentence, but this is the judge's decision. We will pray to God for help."

Dozens of Corogeanu's supporters packed the courtroom and several burst into tears when the verdict was announced, AP news agency reported.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:21 pm
Thanks, Nimh. I had missed that story.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:26 pm
He looks more like a hells angel biker than a monk. Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:27 pm
That's a scary-looking guy. Not just the flaming beard -- those eyes are not sane eyes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:41 pm
I suppose I'll expose my rolling biases, but to me, this seems an extreme offshoot of a time when religions were most superstitious and least informed of things like human rights. It fits that when a government like Ceanescu's folded, the religions that rose from the ashes might not be - by virtue of not being in communication with a lot going on in religion - the most savvy. Some might be, but not all. Rather like a time capsule.

I'll admit I don't know much of the practices of religion in the region of Romania through the ages, and so don't know if this is aberrant for way back when, or rather usual.

And yes, poor woman.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:21 pm
petros wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Yeah really L'k and she probably wasn't even a virgin.

Unless you know that to be true, how dare you insult the poor girl? Have you nothing of decency in your atheistic heart?

What is insulting about not being a virgin? She was an adult wasn't she?

You unwittingly insult all women with your arrogance.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 04:58 am
According to patros "christian" is synonymous with "hypocrite".... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 05:21 am
neologist wrote:
It really rats when the atheists and agnostics have more sound reasoning than the believers.
ever thought it might be the sound reasoning that leads to a-theism?

Regarding transubstantiation...or canabalism if you will...why does no one ever say it tastes like flesh and blood?

If the bread and wine actually become flesh and blood...at what point? Before or after digestion?

And while I'm about it why do the religionists cry NOT FAIR. They blow a whistle and say its not in the rules to ask such questions. Like being off side in a game of footy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:21 am
Im LOLing out loud. I predict a very interesting career on A2k for petros.

AHE HAD THE KAVORRRKA
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:55 am
neologist wrote:
It really rats when the atheists and agnostics have more sound reasoning than the believers. It makes my job a lot harder - but also a lot more fun. Laughing

Snork.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 06:22 pm
Nice to be quoted, whatever the reason. . .
0 Replies