Who was the greatest American?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:58 pm
Urg, I suppose we should be saving passages of significance here from time to time. And I do save the odd post by myself and others - rarely, since I am lazy. I think C and crew have at least some backup, generally, if not all the time.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 11:03 pm
To me, Nixon (and secretary of state Kissenger), but I guess this is from an asian's perspective, for two reasons:

1) first president to recognise the PRC as the rightful China and
2) the president to have withdrawn troops from Vietnam.

Otherwise, I admire Bill Gates for his brains alone, and Andrew Goodman for his active role in equal rights for black people.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 11:11 pm
Re: George Washington
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
George Washington, for getting us a country---and the French. We would have not succeeded without their help.

BBB

You're right about the French, since they gave Washington a navy and made the victory at Yorktown possible, however, their motive was simply the fact that thier interests coincided with ours for awhile, not friendship (except perhaps in the person of Lafayette).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 04:35 am
Mary Custis Lee.

Just kiddin' around, C.I. George all the way.(Washington, that is)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:58 am
Although there were far more genuine friends from Europe than just the Marquis de Lafayette, Brandon is basically right about coinciding political interests. Perhaps that experience is why George warned us about "foreign entanglements."
0 Replies

g day

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:58 am
Washington seems obivious, but why is Martin Luther King missing from the list and why is Albert Einstein on it? If you count non-Americans add Lassie, Schwartznegger, Tom Cruise, Waltz Disney, Bill Gates etc...

What measure and limits to you recommend?
0 Replies

the devil

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:02 am
What about Michael Jackson. The THRILLER album changed the face of modern music - whilst a surgeon changed the face of Michael.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:44 am
I know the answer is the study found Ronald Reagan was # 1 (ed. I guess the other guys were too dead to matter much to living Americans huh?), which just goes to prove the absence of intelligent life on Earth.
0 Replies