Are towers powered by older versions of Windows still usuable and compatible?

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2019 05:03 am
Hi. Months ago my PC tower conked out. I had a tower that was powered by Windows 8.1. I still have older computer towers that work if I remember right - one was powered by Windows ME and another by Windows XP. I think I also have one powered by Windows 2000 but I am not sure. It been a long time since I used any of them. Might also still have one powered by Windows '95- again I am not certain.

I am aware of the fact Windows 10 is the OS most people use now. Is a tower powered by Windows 2000, ME, XP or even Windows 95 still usuable and compatible?

Or do I need a new PC altogether?

Please help. Thank you.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,051 • Replies: 14
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2019 09:54 am
@JGoldman10,
What are you planning to use these computers for? Older computers should be fine for browsing the internet and word processing.

If it were me, I would load up a Linux distro as the OS on these machines.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2019 10:09 am
Check out these gadgets

https://www.amazon.com/Xtra-PC-Turbo-32-outdated-like-new/dp/B01MZAUQXR
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 05:22 pm
@maxdancona,
I would like to use the internet on the older towers like I did with my last tower before it conked out.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 05:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you. I just meant can I plug in my older computer towers and use then now?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 06:23 pm
If you are willing to spend a little bit of money, I recommend replacing the motherboard/CPU/RAM, which would upgrade the tower into a modern machine.

But Max's Linux suggestion would work too. Linux should work even on older hardware. And yes, you will be able to access the internet on an older system by using Linux.

However, you'd have to learn how to use Linux.

There are also lots of different versions of Linux. I don't know enough about Linux to point you in the right direction on that front. You'd want something that is both user friendly and lightweight enough to work on older hardware.

Maybe get one of those black and yellow "for Dummies" books. I'm sure there is a "Linux for Dummies" out there.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 06:33 pm
@oralloy,
The last tower I used before it conked out was powered by Windows 8.1. I have a friend who is a computer expert. She told me it's not worth it to try to get that tower fixed; she said I need a new PC altogether.

I forgot - my monitor is broken. There are too many colored bands of light that pop up on the screen when you turn it on. 😞
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2020 08:55 am
LOL just got the microsoft warning pop up that my most up to date computer a Windows 7 netbook is now out of support an I should buy a newer computer or update to windows 10 at least.

Not too concern as most of my systems are still running Window XP without a problem.

Suggest however that you might wish to run the now free sandboxie program when on the internet to keep anything evil from reaching your systems from the internet.

footnote like with XP there is now a hack to allow windows 7 to continue to get security updates for a few years.
oralloy

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:12 am
@BillRM,
So long as the upgrade is free and it works on your hardware, I'd advise going for it.

Just maybe choose the spring 2019 version instead of the fall 2019 version if you upgrade immediately. Or wait until they get the bugs worked out of the fall 2019 version.
BillRM

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:02 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

So long as the upgrade is free and it works on your hardware, I'd advise going for it.

Just maybe choose the spring 2019 version instead of the fall 2019 version if you upgrade immediately. Or wait until they get the bugs worked out of the fall 2019 version.

Just read that the NSA found one hell of a security hole in last version of windows 10 so the idea that windows 10 is all that must more secure then other versions of windows seems not to be water tight.

With special note of when the owners take normal precautions.
oralloy

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:27 pm
@BillRM,
It's not much of a security hole. It's not easily weaponizable, which is why the NSA warned people about it instead of keeping it for themselves.

I'm keeping an eye on the situation, but at the moment I'm still waiting to patch, just to make sure there are no bugs in the patch.

If the "security hole" does become a problem (unlikely), a patch is readily available. So it's no big deal.
oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 09:23 pm
@oralloy,
There don't seem to be any bugs in the patch. I guess I'll patch now.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 05:58 am
@oralloy,
All patched. While I was at it, I moved from 1809 to 1903 as well.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 05:03 pm
@oralloy,
I don't like the new lighter blue default background with 1903.

I've been too lazy to bother switching my computer background until now, but this bothered me enough to switch it.

I picked this for my new background image:
https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA21046
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2020 04:44 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It happens over and over again. Microsoft releases a patch and the world panics. Dire predictions of doom stampede Windows customers into installing patches, then -- poof! -- the threat disappears. Who gets hurt when the industry cries "Wolf!"?

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3518439/the-perils-of-shouting-fire-in-a-crowd-of-pc-patchers.html
0 Replies