Study: Rattlesnakes make Poor Pets

kuvasz

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:22 pm
Quote:
"Despite widespread popularity throughout the southern United States, rattlesnakes may not make very good pets, suggests research conducted at the University of North Carolina Greensboro.

"Now, I like my snakes as much as the next guy," said Herbert Jasper, assistant professor of sociology at UNC Greensboro. "I've got three myself. But it turns out that, for some family situations, they may not be as ideal as, say, a dog."

"The study tracked over 600 families throughout western North Carolina, a rugged area where venomous snakes are popular companions among young men. Of the families surveyed, 50% had at least one timber rattlesnake in the home. The families were tracked over a period of five years. Factors examined included the number of medical emergencies in the household, as well as any other pets that may have been kept around.

"Well I have to say, this comes as a surprise," said Randy Vinson, 33, a longtime snake owner who lives in Greensboro. "Sure, I've been bit over the years maybe nine, ten times. But you know, I never put two and two together with regards to the danger of these critters."

http://www.watleyreview.com/2004/022404-3.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,051 • Replies: 28
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:26 pm
Just how much did this revealing piece of research cost?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:29 pm
heehee......
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:38 pm
Re: Study: Rattlesnakes make Poor Pets
Quote:
" "Well I have to say, this comes as a surprise," said Randy Vinson, 33, a longtime snake owner who lives in Greensboro. "Sure, I've been bit over the years maybe nine, ten times. But you know, I never put two and two together with regards to the danger of these critters."

]

I'm at a loss, really at a loss. Maybe I over analyze things.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:39 pm
How much has reptile expert Randy Viscon contributed to the gene pool?

I gather the snakes were doing their best to improve the human race.
0 Replies

Poodlz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 04:01 pm
Well, who in their right mind'd wanna rattlesnake anyway? UGH! They're slimy and they're naked! I just don't understand some people.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:59 pm
Who said these folks were in their right minds? I actually had some doofus walk into my clinic about twenty years ago, asking if I would defang a rattler for him. I told him I wouldn't, even if he weren't an idiot. For a few nanoseconds, however, I considered telling him I'd do it for free and giving it back to him intact. Unfortunately, my conscience got the better of me before I could answer that way.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 10:17 pm
CowDoc--

Sometimes it is hard to figure out your unclear-cut duty.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 10:42 pm
Cowdoc, nice to see you back on a2k...
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:39 pm
Hey now...

I've kept a few rattlers in my time and yes, they do make terrible house pets. I coulda told the research team that and saved them a buttload of money! I knew the risk and I took it. Huge risk and I would never recommend it. But they were damn cool in my opinion.

Pssst, Poodlz. Snakes are not slimy and rarely do any wild animals wear clothes, except those dancing bears in the circus maybe. Razz
0 Replies

Poodlz

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
Lady J wrote:

I coulda told the research team that and saved them a buttload of money!
.....Snakes are not slimy and rarely do any wild animals wear clothes, Razz

ROTFL! Isn't it the truth? There're so many "studies" done that all you'd need was some horse sense. Oh, and when I said "naked," I meant that they didn't have fur or feathers! Laughing That's a MUST for me. I don't imagine you can enjoy PETTING a snake, can you? They're not cuddly and warm. And how about BOAS? Can you imagine one of those curled up in your lap?????? Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 01:13 pm
My fiance' owns a New Mexican Rosie boa named Lississtrata. I have held her and many other snakes over the years and none are slimy and actually they have all felt quite warm. Lissi likes to drape herself around his neck and give him 'kisses'. When I hold her she climbs into my hair and coils around my ponytail holder and sits still looking like a piece of jewelry. Snakes can actually make wonderful and loving pets, but a poisonous snake is never good idea.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:01 am
Poodlz wrote:
Lady J wrote:

I coulda told the research team that and saved them a buttload of money!
.....Snakes are not slimy and rarely do any wild animals wear clothes, Razz

ROTFL! Isn't it the truth? There're so many "studies" done that all you'd need was some horse sense. Oh, and when I said "naked," I meant that they didn't have fur or feathers! Laughing That's a MUST for me. I don't imagine you can enjoy PETTING a snake, can you? They're not cuddly and warm. And how about BOAS? Can you imagine one of those curled up in your lap?????? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Not only could I imagine it, I have done that many, many times. Smile Most snake scales are actually very smooth to the touch and somewhat cool. At the height of my snake days, I think I had 40, not including the 19 baby Red Tail Boas born on the 4th of July, 2001. Like people, different snakes have different temperaments. Some are very docile and easy to handle and some are very aggressive and will strike at any attempt to handle them. But to answer your question, yes. It can actually be quite enjoyable petting a snake. Honest! Smile
0 Replies

Poodlz

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:00 pm
Lady J wrote:
It can actually be quite enjoyable petting a snake. Honest! Smile

That's amazing! But can you trust them?! <shiver, shiver> Aren't they kinda 2-faced?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:22 pm
(we all know it's not a real study, right? right.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:29 pm
Of course, Aldistar. Boas delight in wrapping themselves around peoples' necks.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:42 pm
roger wrote:
Of course, Aldistar. Boas delight in wrapping themselves around peoples' necks.

...and those squeezes are just affectionate love hugs
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:09 pm
...and every squeeze, every love hug tenderizes the meat.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:21 pm
Precisely why I never let my 13 foot Burmese Python snuggle. Smile I could never lift him on my own anyway. Vito and Bright Eyes were two of my Red Tail Boas though and Vito, who was over 6 feet long and as big around as a coffee can, got snuggly all the time and I never, ever felt in danger with him. He was very content being draped over my shoulders like a shawl and he loved burying his face in my hair where he would do little tongue flick kisses on my neck. Ok, I'm weird, go ahead and say it. Smile
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:00 pm
You're not weird Lady J! I'm with you. I have never felt endangered by any of the snakes I have cuddled with. Most are very nice and the ones who aren't let you know way before you get a chance to pick them up.
0 Replies