Study: Rattlesnakes make Poor Pets

CatFisH

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:52 pm
don't know about making a pet out of a rattler but this Cottonmouth was somewhat opposed to being petted...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/kingfish711/Cottonmouth1.jpg
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:55 pm
Nice picture, CatFisH and welcome to A2K!

Yeah, that is always been the problem when it comes to the hots. They never want snuggles at all, nor would they get any from me. Smile Some of them are just so darn beautiful, too! Ever seen an Eyelash Viper?

Aldistar, very cool! Someone who can relate! As you have also probably found, even some of the most docile breeds can be a bit snippy if they are not handled a lot. And most babies. You'll laugh when I tell you the only real "fangs in" bite that I ever received was from a Ball Python. Now to me, that's a stretch of the odds considering their incredibly sweet dispositions. Smile

Ohhh, Noddy! Hee Hee...after all those years of having my neck tenderized, it's no wonder I have a hard time holding my head up now and then! Very Happy
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:10 pm
Snakes are cool, but you have to be veeeeeery patient to teach one how to fetch.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 01:01 am
Unless it's a mouse, kicky. Smile

I once had my Burmese fetch and return a rabbit to me. He had carried it around in his stomach for a day and a half first though. Lovely.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 12:31 pm
mmm... nothing says love like sharing half digested food. Razz
I've never been bitten by any of the snakes, I have, however, had a good chunk taken out of my hand by one of their meals. Rotten rat. I really can't blame him I wouldn't be to friendly either about being given up as lunch.

Yeah, Catfish I've come across that sight a couple of times in my life. Never a lot of fun. Water Moccasins make for very territorial snake. I knew a kid who actually caught one in the bayou that runs through my neighborhood. The idiot put it in an old tattered backpack, flung it over his shoulders and walked home. I can't believe he didn't get bit.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:31 pm
Snakes are very beautiful; but I must admit I am a complete wuss when it comes to handling them. They scare me with their agility and strength.
Fast little buggers!
A good friend of mine has a bunch of snakes, rats, rabbits, and hedgehogs. And lizards. I love animals; but I guess I'm more into the kind that I feel are 'loving me back'. My friend swears her snakes love her; but I'm equally sure they would be just as content in the grass.

I get a particular thrill seeing 'em being let back on their own. Nothing makes my heart soar like seeing animals running wild Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:51 pm
I'm with you, flushd. Yet, I have never seen a rattler or water moccasin with a pretty face.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 06:01 am
Quote:
The Watley Review is dedicated to the production of articles completely without journalistic merit or factual basis, as this would entail leaving our chairs or actually working. Names, places and events are generally fictitious, except for public figures about which we may have heard something down at the pub. All contents are intended as parody and should be construed as such. We have no agenda other than the depletion of Uncle Zeke's whaling trust fund and the dutiful appreciation of smooth, smooth liquor. The Review is updated every Tuesday, when the hangovers wear off.

What I love about the article tho is how it sounds so real and surreal at the same time.

You know, many American politicians, and other pundits too, have this way of dumbing down, if you will, any issue they need to communicate to viewers or voters to where they sound sufficiently folksy and down home. George Bush is a genius at this.

It kind of always leaves me in awe, because they do usually still succeed in preserving the core message behind it intact - just, it's conveyed to you the way your uncle would tell you about it over a beer.

Dutch (European?) politicians so dont do that. They speak their own lingo, all "Surely the minister does not intend to imply that" and "We are currently in the process of drafting new initiatives that will ensure that". Or at most, the tired old "We need to learn to listen to the people again", or worse, to "the people in the old neighbourhoods".

Bush dont need to learn that, he already does it exactly the way this purported Sociology professor has it:

Quote:
"Now, I like my snakes as much as the next guy," said Herbert Jasper, assistant professor of sociology at UNC Greensboro. "I've got three myself. But it turns out that, for some family situations, they may not be as ideal as, say, a dog."

It's one of those things Americans are just brilliant at, so the spoof is funny in picking up on that...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 11:00 pm
You'd think my in-laws are a riot, Nimh.

Smile
0 Replies