Surnames

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 02:54 pm
What is a good way to find out the origins of surnames? Especially if they do not neccessarily have English as their roots. I am currently attempting to discover the translation of my surname (it's Hungarian, as far as I can tell) and I'm having trouble. I'm not certain if this specific forum is the best one to post this question in, but at first glance it seemed the closest.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,004 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Valpower

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 03:01 pm
The 'Reference' forum would be a better place. http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=54

Forum description:
Quote:
Reference :: What's the best source for investigating a doctor's credentials? Does anybody know where to find out the precipitation rate in the Amazon Rain Forest in July? Where can you find places to research your family tree? The Reference Forum has been designed to address these kinds of issues.

Research- That is what the Reference Forum is about. Here members may ask questions and conduct discussions on how to research a subject in the easiest and most efficient manner possible. This is the place for us to share our favorite secrets for finding "stuff" on the internet. Polls may be created to assess varying opinions on subjects relating to research.

There is a lot of information out there, on the internet and in libraries, but it is useless to us unless we know how to access it. The Reference Forum is the place to learn how to find that "needle in a haystack".
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:36 am
Re: Surnames
InvisibleFlan wrote:
What is a good way to find out the origins of surnames? Especially if they do not neccessarily have English as their roots. I am currently attempting to discover the translation of my surname (it's Hungarian, as far as I can tell) and I'm having trouble. I'm not certain if this specific forum is the best one to post this question in, but at first glance it seemed the closest.

Hi InvisibleFlan

I also would like to discover the origins of my natural surname.
Because I have no idea what nationality my father was, I've even thought about approaching universities that work in genetics - to try and discover what part of the planet he came from.
I don't want to find my natural father.
I just want to know where he was from. So that I can have a bit of history.
Have you had any luck since your post?

Peace,
E
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 04:15 am
Seeing as how my father was adopted I've never really carted around too much concern or interest about the origins of my surname and therefore haven't particularly investigated the matter of learning where it came from.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 09:47 pm
You're right, it's good enough to be an Earthling.
0 Replies