Box-OfficeTop 100 Films of All-Time. (Adjusted for inflation)

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 12:46 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Then why is the list adjusted for inflation?

Lion King (2019) is 11th on the unadjusted list and 20th on the adjusted one.

I don't follow you. A $billion is still a $billion. Lion King didn't sell as many tickets as Gone With the Wind. I'm not making any opinion based statement. Just dropping a literal movie fact.

Cinemablend
All Time Top Ticket Selling Movies
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 12:58 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

1. I seen approximately 40 of the movies on the list.

2. Also there are an additional 10 movies on the list I might have seen, but not completely sure.

3. That leaves approximately 50 of the movies on this list that I never seen.

My count is at 84.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 12:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
A £billion in 1932 was worth a lot more than a £billion now. (Sorry I used the £ sign by force of habit, and I can't be arsed to change.

The unadjusted figure is the pure monetary figure, but the adjusted figure looks at the real cost. How much a cinema ticket cost then as a % of average weekly wage compared to today, or some similar calculation.

You seemed to have done a volte face, this is what you said before.

tsarstepan wrote:

The reason why they're there ... is not the number of tickets sold but ticket prices of the ones sold.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 01:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Still not sure what you're babbling about. I'm glad you ignored my links. Do you even know what my pronoun for they are referring to? Jespah was talking about numbers of tickets sold for The Lion King and Avengers: Endgame.

tsarstepan wrote:

jespah wrote:

What's really interesting to me is The Lion King and Avengers: Endgame are on this list, and they both came out this year. That's a helluva lotta tickets sold.

The reason why they're there ... is not the number of tickets sold but ticket prices of the ones sold.

Clearly The Lion King and Avengers didn't sell as many tickets as Gone with the Wind. And the links proven that well known fact. Not sure why you think you cornered me with some gotcha nonsense. Good grief. You don't live in a cave. The cost of a current ticket is far higher now than years ago. What's so difficult to figure there? It's not a statement of for or against quality of any of these movies. It's just math.

And adjusting for inflation for these lists? It's moot point. There are far too many variables between now and a few decades ago (number of movies produced and distributed; the theatrical system; etc...) that are often not put into play. It's just a way to give sentimentalism fetishists a way to feel good about their "they don't make them like they used to" closed-minded worldview.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 02:48 pm
I saw Gone With the Wind in a theater in the late fifties or early sixties. I was surprised it was playing, but I enjoyed it more on the big screen than I did on DVD.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 02:56 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
What's really interesting to me is The Lion King and Avengers: Endgame are on this list, and they both came out this year. That's a helluva lotta tickets sold.

Yes indeed.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 04:36 pm
I've seen 62 of these movies. The first two movies I ever saw were The Greatest Show on Earth and Bambi. I have no memory of the former. I well remember the first part of Bambi. I forgot everything that happened after the mother got shot until I saw the movie for the second time.

Lots of Disney movies on the list. Impressive.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 05:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ha! I've seen 85...
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 05:26 pm
I had a little fun trying to dissect the list by genres or sub-genres.

For example:

1. The all-time biggest box office for all Super hero movies is Avengers: Endgame.

2. The all-time biggest box office for an (individual) super hero is Black Panther.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 05:35 pm
According to the list, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the all-time biggest office
in the category or genre of animated movies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 06:10 pm
The Greatest Show on Earth had James Stewart as a clown who never took off his makeup and an elephant putting its foot on the face of a woman without hurting her. I'm surprised it was that popular.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 09:33 pm
It is fascinating to see which movies were popular in its day, but lost relevance over time. Nowadays, not many people talk about The Sting (#21) and The Robe (#52). I never even heard of the Robe until today.
Real Music

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 10:23 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Out of the 50 or so movies I've never seen, some of those I've never even heard of.

The following are ones I've never even heard of:

8. Doctor Zhivago (1965)
23. The Graduate (1967)
41.Love Story (1970)
52.The Robe (1953)
58.The Bells of St. Mary's (1945)
87. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
92. TheBridge On The River Kwai (1957)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 10:28 pm
8. Doctor Zhivago (1965) - so boring I slept through most of it
23. The Graduate (1967) - one of my top favorites
41.Love Story (1970) - I hate movies where you know they are dying and you are supposed to feel sorry for them for over two boring hours
52.The Robe (1953) - so so
58.The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) - a good one
87. TheBest Years of Our Lives (1946)
92. TheBridge On The River Kwai (1957) - a good one features this song
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2019 01:48 am
'Avengers: Endgame' dethroned 'Avatar' at the box office, but it would have to make billions more to beat the actual biggest movie of all time.

Published July 22, 2019

Quote:
"Avengers: Endgame" surpassed "Avatar" over the weekend to be the highest-grossing movie in the world of all time.

After a theatrical rerelease last month, "Endgame" finally managed to dethrone James Cameron's sci-fi movie, which sat at the top of the global box office for a decade. "Endgame" has grossed $2.790 billion and "Avatar" grossed $2.789 billion.

But that's before adjusting for inflation.

"Endgame" has a much tougher hill to climb if it wants to beat "Gone with the Wind," the highest-grossing movie ever after adjusting for inflation.

"Gone with the Wind," originally released in 1939, grossed $189 million domestically (not counting its multiple re-releases) and $402 million worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo.

Adjusting the worldwide box office for inflation can get tricky, but below is a breakdown.

The "Gone with the Wind" worldwide total today would be an astounding $7.4 billion, according to this consumer-price-index inflation calculator. The movie's domestic total today would be $3.5 billion, based on the calculator.

Box Office Mojo calculates inflation by adjusting to a given year's average US ticket price — $9.01 this year — and doesn't calculate worldwide-box-office inflation. But according to Box Office Mojo, the movie's domestic total would be $1.8 billion with inflation.

Either way, "Avengers: Endgame" would have to perform beyond anyone's wildest dreams to beat "Gone with the Wind."

https://www.businessinsider.com/avengers-endgame-box-office-compared-to-gone-with-the-wind-2019-4
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2019 10:39 am
@tsarstepan,
I know how inflation works. I pointed out that you contradicted yourself, and you don't seem aware of that, even now.
0 Replies

lucya

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2019 04:30 am
Oh ,I have only seen a few of them...
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2023 12:44 pm
Quote:
37.Ghostbusters (1984)

It appears that according to this list, that when adjusted for inflation, Ghostbusters (1984)
is the all-time Box Office (comedy) movie.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2023 01:00 pm
1. I clicked on the link from the start of this thread.

2. I noticed that there have been some movement of some of the movies position spot on the list.

3. That tells me that the attached link continues to update list (regularly).

https://www.filmsite.org/boxoffice.html
0 Replies