Opinions on Commentary welcome.

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 02:33 pm
I am finishing my current documentary and my possible producer is saying this......"You should cut everyone back to just the info bits exactly of what they say. Now my interviews are only about a minute or less with these eccentric people, and I felt the entire thought process from the beginning to end with the little bit of intriging stuff was more insitefull then just getting shorter snipets. The movie 58 minutes should be brought down to 45 minutes and they suggest thsis strategy. What do you feel ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 924 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 06:57 pm
Hi Algis.Kemezys

If you don't want to lose any of the narrative, you could begin by editing out as much as you can between each interview. It's amazing how much time you can cut down by editing out people's hesitations, sighs, shrugs ect.
Get rid of all pauses. Slice a tiny bit off here and there where it won't make a drastic change to what you've got. If you disagree about the length of the interviews (you would like to see them remain longer rather than shorter) you may have to consider cutting one of the characters out entirely - to be sacrificed for the others. One of my tutors told me, "a film is only as good as the worst, most boring bit in it."
My advice: Find that bit and cut it out.

Good luck with it - sounds interesting.
Peace,
E
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:51 pm
If I had the opportunity, I would sit through 58 minutes or your film a few times, Algis.

While I agree with ENDYMION's bit about find the boring part and get rid of it -- sometimes the hesitations, shrugs, etc. are the most interesting part ot me.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:02 am
Thanks for that bit of advice E & b.I am using both bits of your
advice. I like the nit qbout the boring part. More later...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:41 am
If you are satisfied with the length of the film, I know you could get creative and shot some new footage to replaced the "boring" parts. How about some on-screen narration starring Algis?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:54 am
I have a friend who is in this business and subject to similar pressure. She stuck to her guns (and 58 minuets) and her film was a winner. My advice is to go with your vision, not someone elses.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:59 am
That's good advice.

A camel is still a horse designed by a committee.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:32 am
Boy at a time when I need friendly advice you folks have certainly made me feel better with your helpfull time on this abstract matter.
Some people have suggested I speak the narrative parts but if I was to do so I would have too much explaining to do.I felt better let a really good speaker and writer my Producer Byron Ayanoglu do the voice of this.Keep it impersonaland let you come to conclusions yourself rather than have me do the guess work for you.
0 Replies