Inequatily of rights between the two genders?

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 11:12 am
Bear with me this is my first topic that I am posting.

From my username you may be able to figure out that I am a girl drummer. My siblings always make fun of me because I'm a drummer and drummers are susposed to be boys. They say that girls aren't as good as boys. My band teacher say that me and the two other girls that I play drums with, Anna and Brook, are better than most of the boys. What should I do about my siblings. They know that when they call me a boy drummer it gets to me Crying or Very sad. Please respond and help me!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,095 • Replies: 13
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 01:51 pm
Neither gender is supposed to be anything, not even parents. That's amazing thinking, in the sense that, uh, what did we go through the 60s for? I mean, really, is there also a belief that men can't cook and women can't use power tools? Can't we all be what we want to be?

Ignore your siblings or talk to your folks if it bothers you. There's naturally teasing among siblings but it can be annoying and hurtful. And this seems to go farther than that, in the sense that it seems to be undermining you. So talk to your folks, tell them it bothers you, and why. You're proud of what you do and of course are proud of who you are. The siblings should lay off.

Your teacher sounds nice and certainly that's a good, valid compliment coming from someone who knows about such things.

Also, you might want some ammunition the next time you're teased (I guarantee there will be a next time, even if your folks lay down the law at home - siblings are just like that). By ammo I mean, find out the names of some famous female drummers.

For example, Karen Carpenter was a drummer. And so is Sheila E., one of Prince's protegées. Karen is better known for her voice than her singing, and, unfortunately, for the fact that she died from bulimia, but she was a very well-known pop star in the 1970s and was apparently pretty shy -- I understand that she didn't want to be thrust to the front of the stage to sing. She wanted to hang back and drum.

Sheila's big hit (in the 1980s) was "The Glamorous Life". Listen to it and you'll hear some fancy percussion. She even played with Tito Puento!

I'm sure there are plenty of other female drummers up there (sorry, my mind is blanking but it's only 'cause I'm tired). There are a number of all-female groups (I believe Hole is one; the Bangles and Go-Go's were, etc.) and of course they had/have drummers. I'm sure a Google search for "female drummer" or "lady drummer" or "female percussionist" will come up with a number of hits. I took a quick look and found http://www.drummergirl.com/ and http://www.sptimes.com/2003/09/04/Floridian/Different_drummers.shtml Here's a list of female drummers: http://www.drummergirl.com/drummergirls/index.html

And be strong!

Welcome to A2K. Smile
0 Replies

Priamus

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:08 am
I said boy because there are many more male drummers than girls. Only for that, but I think girls should play all instruments cause they are qualified fot that and much more.

Be patient, if you play well they will forget who plays.

Go on playing drumms and follow your own criteria.

Regards and welcome.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:06 am
Sounds like your siblings are just copying each other to look cool.
I reckon secretly they are jealous.

Let the comments make you stronger and become the best drummer you can be.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:45 am
Every time your siblings yammer, "Boy Drummer, Boy Drummer" give them the old "Shave & a Haircut, Two Bits" and leave the room.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:24 pm
You have arms, don't you?
0 Replies

pinchehoto

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:42 am
Criticism (intelligent and mindless, solicited and unsolicited) is part of being an artist. Drummers don't have to be boys. But they do have to be a$$ kickers. If you want to be weepy, play the tambourine and sing "na, na, na" in the background. The only way you will change idiots' minds is by blowing them (their minds, that is. get your mind out of the gutter.) So strive to blow their minds with superb drumming skills. This is the most satisfying way to shut them up.

Also, I've known quite a few bands in my day, and the drummer is usually the crazy one you don't want to mess with. So get back at your siblings by doing crazy stuff like putting Ben-Gay on their toothbrush or setting them on fire. Or you can make a set of nunchucks out of your biggest drumsticks and show them how well you can play drums... on their face. Yeah! That would be cool. And by cool I mean totally sweet!
0 Replies

bedwyn

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:32 am
on average girls are weaker than guys so this is sortof like the military saying you'd be a worse soldier, not sexism. drums are heavy and that's why they'd criticize girls a bit. there are physical differences between the two sexes (sometimes worse for the guys) ackknowledging them is not sexism its fact.
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:24 am
They are your siblings. What do you expect?

It sounds like you need to toughen up or you're going to get eaten alive when you step out of your house and into the real world.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:37 am
bedwyn wrote:
drums are heavy and that's why they'd criticize girls a bit. there are physical differences between the two sexes (sometimes worse for the guys) ackknowledging them is not sexism its fact.

I don't know one drummer who carries his set around. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

clear

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:44 am
Bella Dea wrote:
bedwyn wrote:
drums are heavy and that's why they'd criticize girls a bit. there are physical differences between the two sexes (sometimes worse for the guys) ackknowledging them is not sexism its fact.

I don't know one drummer who carries his set around. Rolling Eyes

i think he was referring to the weight of the sticks and the continuous pounding action. precision is a necessity and the stronger you are you won't get tired and loose a little of the precision would make all the difference in sound.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:23 pm
Or maybe bedwyn is referring to a drummer in a marching band.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:46 pm
You know in a way, this thread reminds me of a riddle that feminists use to demonstrate the lower status of women. Its a pretty common riddle, you may know the answer:

A boy and his father were driving and were involved in a horrific accident. The father died and the boy was taken to hospital. There, the doctor took one look at him and cried out, "I cannot operate on him, he is my son!."

I asked a couple of peers and my father this riddle - they said that:
- the father didn't die
- the grandfather had died
- what?

The answer is that the doctor is the boy's mother. No one I know who heard of this riddle could think of it that way.

PS - I am not a feminist, I just brought this up as it seemed relevant.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:02 pm
I am not so sure as a nondrummer who likes drumming that females can compete re certain drumming moves.

I am certain they can re bringing sensuality to drumming.
0 Replies