A "weird questions in semi-earnest digression"......

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:31 am
For precision, what we heard was Orfeo by Christoph Willibald Gluck . . .

Well la-dee-dah ! ! !
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:35 am
Ooooh, I have a cd with Callas singing Gluck's J'ai perdu mon Eurydice Act IV 1961 (as it says on the list) - it always stops me in my tracks..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:37 am
You know, little Frankie Haydn got thrown out the Vienna Boys Choir when his voice began to crack. So one of the orchestra members let him crash on the floor, providing he fed himself. On good days, when his voice wasn't cracking, he'd sing on street corners. Other days, he'd copy musical score. He got a commission from Gluck once, and Gluck liked him, liked his work, and decided to teach him composition. Gluck's work can be beautiful, if often stilted, but i will love him forever for helping along Haydn.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:44 am
A question:

What was this about?

Black Orpheus
The film and bossa nova
By Wayne Whitwam
Before the world heard Astrud Gilberto's whispy voice, before they knew of Stan Getz' velvety sax, they saw Black Orpheus. The film (in Portuguese, Orfeu Negro) put a face on a new style of samba that was fresh, romantic and very accessible to jazz hipsters. It was later called bossa nova (or "new wave" or "new groove"). Only a year before (November 1957), Antonio Carlos Jobim (and Newton Mendonca) had released the album Desafinado, featuring this new style of samba, incorporating it with jazz stylings, poetic lyrics sung by João Gilberto, and a 4 on 3 stammering rhythm. Jobim and Luis Bonfa wrote the soundtrack to the motion picture. This 1959 Cannes Film Festival Grand Prize winner (and Oscar's Best Foreign Film, and a Golden Globe winner) was based on the Orpheus-Eurydice legend but updated and played against the colorful background of Carnival in Brazil, featuring an all-Black cast. French director Marcel Camus created the movie from Vinícius de Moraes musical play Orfeu da Conceição."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:49 am
Ah, I saw that movie several times, years ago...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:00 am
Quote:
Orfeu Negro

...which is (was?) an excellent breakfast at Cafe Brazil in Santa Cruz, CA -- though the old longhair with the iguana-en-shoulder (I first typed "umbrella" instead of "iguana," strange, aphased) perpetually perched (the man, not the iguana) in the corner was surely a health code violation -- thick, black coffee alongside black beans and red salsa smothering cheese-covered crusty ital/french/porto bread in a casserole dish, and drizzled with the broke yolk of a poached egg, mmmmm..... and out the door and to the beach with strong pink guarana soda, before it was in pricey "energy" drinks and enough to keep you wired for halfaday.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:02 am
Well, osso, I would love to see it just once. Fat chance, I guess.

Another question:

Somewhere I got the idea that curfew as referred to in Thomas Gray's "Elegy written in a Country Churchyard" was a bird, and I know I saw it. Perhaps in an annotated textbook in college.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:09 am
Mayhap that's curlew?

Don't remember the text by heart . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:13 am
Definitely curfew....

http://www.poetry-online.org/gray_thomas_elegy_in_a_country_churchyard.htm
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:18 am
So some cawing crows carried coconuts to England from Corfu, a crowed out to everybody

GO TO BED!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:35 am
Confucius on Corfu - an operetta carried out on carts by Cartier and company, accompanied by curly cormorants curving through clouds cast oe're the careless shoreline.

That's enough, osso, go to work now.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:41 am
The Corfu Curling Club's curfew curbed calling Colleen Cardiff...

...late.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:46 am
Crazy curlers clubbed curfew curbers clumsily...

<bye...>
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:54 am
origin here if desired...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 12:21 pm
Ooooo curlers . . . i can never thing of those anymore without association with a bizarre bit of gossip that floats around the Columbus, Ohio area. Les Wexner, the founder and owner of Victoria's Secret, The Limited, etc., is alleged to be gay, and the allegation further says that he married as a cover. The bizarre little piece of gossip is that when his new wife discovered the truth, and found she was being cuckolded with a young muscular hunk, she took a curling iron to Les' member.

Likely that is all crap, but even the mention of the word curler summons horrible thoughts . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 12:31 pm
weenie roast!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 12:31 pm
as opposed to...

fish fry!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 12:40 pm
Knock it off doggy . . . sheesh, i never should have told that one . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 12:59 pm
I suspect that you were, in fact, present for this event, but are embarassed to have been in a salon having your locks curled and catching up on the latest local dish, and so, to avoid personal incrimination, you cannot vouch for the veracity of the tale.

't'sokay, I unnerstan' -- I'm the same way about the Windowless Corridor.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:14 pm
DO they curl?

The Puppetry of the Penis people's antics would suggest they do....but - DO they? I have never tried it at home.....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 10:51:57