A "weird questions in semi-earnest digression"......

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:34 am
Or: Auntie Lowan asks:

My first question:
1. In winter, I often do the "pot of soup which gets boileded up and added to every night" thing - thusly, last week I had a pea and free-range-ham-and-vegies-and-whatever soup that I simmered up nightly.

So - my question is, despite the best laid plans of mice and Wabbits, I assume some microbes survived every night, and multiplied a little during each day: so, what weight of dead microbe bodies was I eating by the last night?

Bring on your questions and answers!

(Old digressors know the drill - no sense, lots of fun, anyone getting crabby gets the boot, all welcome...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,035 • Replies: 214
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:44 am
Gee, I thought people stopped doing that when they discovered bacteria. I'd be careful if I was you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:49 am
No sense allowed.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:53 am
mmm... microbes
the other white meat
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:57 am
Mmmmmmmmm - taste like rabbit.....

Anyhoo, a little challenge is what keeps my immune system healthy.

(Which it isn't, I hasten to add.....must eat more microbes....)
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:04 am
"Must eat more rabbit."
~the microbes
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:10 am
I used to give tastes of new foods to the kids at least once a week when they were little. No matter what it was, fruit, veggie, meat, whatever youngest son always said "Mmmm. Tastes like chicken!"

Come to think of it... Never gave them any rabbit to try....

Oh, Waaaabbiiit!

On the soup thingy I would put it at a billion to one on the bacteria to pea ratio. All due to the peas of course.

Peas stink!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:27 am
Here at Castle Timber, there's generally and ongoing "developmental soup" simmering in the crock-pot. Great for munchies when making a snack is too much hassle. When I was a kid, my mom always had one going, too, and Ushe learned it from her mom. Of course, today';s crock-pots are a lot more convenient than the old way of leaving a pot simmering on the stove. ... ahhhhhh, progress! I don't think the ever-evolving soup ever killed anybody, at least as far as I know. About weekly, it gets swapped out, whatever is there gets given to The Puppies, and a new simmer is started. Anyhow, The Puppies, most of 'em, aren't fond of peas. Its not unusual to see the Puppy Bowl in which the soup was served to them licked clean, other than for a small pile of peas in it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:29 am
...give peas a chance...
<oh c'mon, you knew someone was going to say it>
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:31 am
"developmental soup" sounds like the current state of my software
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:35 am
"Developmental soup" sounds like something out of which a brand-new creature will pull itself, heaving and gasping...
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:39 am
note to self:
clean out the fridge
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:47 am
George wrote:
...give peas a chance...
<oh c'mon, you knew someone was going to say it>

Yes - but why you, and why so soon.

Soz - that is primordial oooze you speak of, I believe - my soup is finely developed.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:49 am
sozobe wrote:
"Developmental soup" sounds like something out of which a brand-new creature will pull itself, heaving and gasping...

Or launch a teeny-tiny "steam sail" so that they can explore beyond the realm of the pot-world.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:53 am
This is an ancient tradition, keeping a pot simmering on the stove. If you cannot keep it constantly on the simmer safely on your stove, in your estimation, you might consider purchasing what Timber refers to, a "crock-pot." The name here arises from the original advertising gimmick--i don't know what name they would go by in Oz. However, i'm sure you can find an electric pot such as this, which is perfect for the purpose.

The French long did this, and called it, variously, pot au feu (pot on the fire) or pot pouri (literally "rotten pot," it refers to their experiental knowledge that food which had "gone off" could safely be eaten if simmered in the pot on the fire). Once raised to 160 degrees flibbergibbet, the bacteria are killed within a few minutes. It should be an entirely safe method, as well as an economic one.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:56 am
Crock pot - and I won't touch 'em - they're too, too, seventies....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:57 am
How very silly of you, Our Dear Wabbit . . .
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:58 am
Why am I not surprised that Timber and Set have cracked pots? :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:59 am
Setanta wrote:
How very silly of you, Our Dear Wabbit . . .

I have few but fervent standards.

Come, bugs, and crack your cell wall!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:01 am
Yer skatin' on thin ice, DD . . .

Miss Cunning Coney--"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of a petty mind."
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A "weird questions in semi-earnest digression"......
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 04:14:57